Low calorie salad dressing - any ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Check out an olive oil/vinegar store (they seem to be popping up everywhere). Get a nice flavored oil and/or flavored vinegar. I'd go about 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar, and I find about a tablespoon is enough for my whole salad. It is about 100 calories of pure deliciousness with no weird additives of shelf dressings.

I can't see where you are from to find a close one, but here is an example
    http://www.theolivetap.com/
    http://www.vvoliveoil.com/

Also, I've had berry and chocolate flavored basalmics that make excellent ice cream toppings with virtually no calories!

100% agree. I have a self in the pantry slowly becoming dedicated to olive oils and basalmics. Sooooooo yummy!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    A couple of reduced fat home made alternatives. Regular vinaigrette is 3-4 parts oil to 1 part vinegar or lemon juice by comparison.

Light Ranch

1 part mayonnaise (this is almost pure fat)
    3 parts buttermilk (this is fat free)
    garlic salt, dried herbs to taste

Asian

! part soy sauce
    1 part balsamic vinegar
    1 part nut oil (hazelnut, walnut or sesame)

Alternatively, look up Japanese salad dressings with google. These are often oil free, and sometimes thickened with pureed tofu.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar and oil. In Italy, that's all they have to offer for salads (at least in the parts I visited).
    Low-fat cottage cheese.
    Newman's Own Cranberry (or raspberry) and Walnut.
  • Skiergal2
    Skiergal2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really like to drizzle olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup over my salad. You can vary the amounts by what you like.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Good Seasons Zesty Italian in a packet....nothing better in my humble opinion.
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i use non fat yohgurt and balsamic
    vinegar with herbs etc
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    tomatoes and avocadoes taste delicious. no need to dress them at all!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Definitely just balsamic with some spices.

Be careful of fat free and low fat, as many brands add a lot of sugar to make them still palatable.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I like to use a lowfat cottage cheese in place of salad dressing. I'll also use a low calorie salsa, too. Both keep your salad from being so dry!
  • foodcallsme
    Options
    I use Ken's Light Options - its 50 calories for 2 tbsps.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette. It tastes great and is only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons. They also have a poppy seed dressing my husband likes, but this one is my favorite. And 95 mg sodium & 3 g carbs.

http://www.maplegrove.com/product_detail.asp?pid=22

YES! I love the Balsamic Vinaigrette! I haven't seen the poppy seed, but will look for it, as I love Newman's Own poppy Seed on salmon salad. Maple Farms Raspberry vinaigrette is also really good and super low cal.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley fat Free Ranch is my all time fave.