Why do we have To Drink So Much Water

Options

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    If your thirsty your already dehydrated
    wow. thats like saying if u r hungry u r already starving!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    water lobbyists. pfffft.
    Hee Hee....:laugh:
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    To facilitate healthy cell function. Simple as that.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Our body is about 70% water... which we excrete throughout the day doing normal activities like breathing, peeing, etc. so it is recommended that you drink a good amount throughout the day to keep your body in top condition. Additionally, your body will not function optimally if you're dehydrated, so it's good to get a decent amount of water in a day (getting out of control with it, though, will of course saturate your cells and drown you from the inside). Also, water aids in things like pooping, so if you like to be regular and not take horribly hard, small, painful poops, it's a good idea to drink a good amount of water daily. Science!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I look on it like oil in a car - it's needed for lubrication, to keep everything moving smoothly. I know I get slouchy and cranky when I don't have enough water - I don't believe there's a one single "must have" amount that suits everybody.

I keep a 0.5 l bottle on my desk at work, and try to fill it once each morning and afternoon. I'm working on keeping my intake that good at weekends.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    To liiiiive!
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    To hydrate you without needing to get that liquid from food. It also fills you up and tricks your body into thinking it's full and doesn't need food.
    it actually makes me hungrier. . .o.O

ME TOO. There is a lot of debate about this. You CAN kill yourself by drinking too much water although it would be extremely difficult. On the other extreme, I've been watching a guy on facebook (another RN) who has been experimenting on himself for the last 5 months- he is getting ALL of his fluid from fruits and veggies, the only things he eats (strict vegan). He puts up pictures of his urine from time to time to demonstrate that he is NOT dehydrated. I'd be interested to see what his labs look like though. You can follow him at https://www.facebook.com/#!/MoreApplesADay?fref=ts if you want.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    1) If flushes impurities from your body
    2) Revs your metabolism
    3) Keeps your skin hydrated and flexible

If you only drink when you are thirsty...you are already dehydrated; so that isn't a good time to "start to drink". Approximately 2/3 of your body is made up of water. You sweat and pee, therefore ridding your body of it's water...you will need to replace what is lost. So if you are working out hard or it's a really hot day...you will need to drink more....

FACT: most people do not drink near enough water...yes it is possible to drown by drinking TOO much water...but very few people have this issue because they get enough other foods which have enough sugars and salts in them (electrolytes) that this isn't real common.

Here's a few sites to help you with water:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_human_body_use_water

http://www.everydayhealth.com/water-health/water-body-health.aspx

http://www.walkinthelight.ca/what_water_does_in_the_body.htm

http://www.essortment.com/water-body-60632.html
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I used to hate water.. now I dont go a day without drinking it, you get used to it, believe me.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    helps me poop.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I used to hate water.. now I dont go a day without drinking it, you get used to it, believe me.

I'm having a hard time cutting down the sodas and going to water (or water-based drinks).
  • KendraP30
    KendraP30 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do work in the medical field, and yes water is very benifical to us. You don't need it, but it helps alot. When diabetics have very high sugar, first they need to do is drink water. It will naturally and safely lower their blood sugar. When you intake a lot of sodium, high blood pressure is a result, so people with high blood pressure are told to minimize sodium and drink more water. Water will naturall\y rid your body of certain things. So, water is not necessary, but it is very much adviced.
  • if you don't drink water you will die

Good enough reason!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Well, if we didn't drink water we'd all look like mummies.

My_057Imhotep.jpg
  • KendraP30
    KendraP30 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was drinking soda everyday, then I got pregnant and started having heart palpatations because of the caffiene. So, I started drinking water and it was hard at first. After the pregnancy I was craving a soda and that first drink I about spit it out. It tasted like per sugar and it just tasted awful. You can do, just have to have the will. It was very hard for me.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Because you get dehydrated when you drink too much liquor ;-)
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    next they'll be telling you that it should be filtered water...
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it helps to flush fats out of your system, which makes sense
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It helps clear out bad bacteria in your body and also helps prevent colds and flu.