My pants size is 29", but my waist measures 31"... ??

Options
mauryr
mauryr Posts: 385
When I measure my waist it's 31 inches, but pants that are 28" or 29" fit. Pants that are 31" fall off. Any one else have a similar experience?

Replies

• nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    "vanity sizing" ?
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Odd most clothing companies now admit to adjusting the sizes the other way as to make the consumers feel better about themselves. So the fact that your pants are off like that either says you bought them 5-25 years ago (when quality counted) or you're measuring the wrong line.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Pant sizes ain't what they used to be and I think there is a 2 - 4" difference compared to 20 years ago.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    When I measure my waist it's 31 inches, but pants that are 28" or 29" fit. Pants that are 31" fall off. Any one else have a similar experience?

that's odd. what brand?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Where do your pants actually sit is the real questions?

It's very rare that pants sit at the actual waist.. so depending on where they sit, that would account for the difference.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Brands: Old navy, american eagle, pretty much every brand. Where pants sit - at the hips, and that's where I measure.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Brands: Old navy, american eagle, pretty much every brand. Where pants sit - at the hips, and that's where I measure.

Well the hips, are not your waist.

Your waist is around where your navel is, maybe a bit a higher.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    sizes are all messed up now days. i bought a size SIX jeans the other day. . . oh how i would love to be a size 6 but im FARRRRR from it lol
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    depends on where your taking your measurements.... a true measure should be across your umbilicus or basically right across your belly button- however you could be wearing your pants just below that which im assuming is the case and you are not wearing your pants like your grandpa Joe, who wears them at his belly button, ( think that old guy in the I love Lucy re-runs ), lol Im no tailor but it could depend on the fabric used.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar experience, albeit with a much larger waist. My waist is 41.83" and size 42" fall off. The 40" are very loose.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    yup, definitely vanity sizing.

I have multiple pairs of 38's. Only the vanity sized fit. Slowly, the honest the 38's are approaching fit.
    Once the 38's start getting loose it will be time to go shopping again. :)