broken scale?

Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
How do you know if your scale isn't working any more???
Our Tanisha (or something like that) has been great for several years, but now gives completely different weights if you get back on within a minute.
Do scales just wear out?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    I broke mine about 4 months into my weight loss journey. It was the first scale I had ever owned. I still lost 51 pounds (without buying another one)

Try it. You'll like not having one :happy:
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    I got mine working again for a little while. Just threatened to weigh the car with it. Then it started moving again. :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    It can happen. However, there could be something else going on.

One thing I thought of was a post several months ago on 50+ women about a member who was so excited because she had lost 10 lbs. or so in a week. She jumped on and off the scale and the reading held. Later she was cleaning and discovered her cat had knocked a small toy or button or something underneath the scale. When she reweighed, it gave her true reading, a loss of about 2 lbs. as I recall.

I just pass this on as a suggestion to pick up your scale and make sure there is nothing underneath it. If you continue to get readings all over the place when you get on several times in a few minutes, then it is time to get a new scale. I bought mine for less than $20 at Walgreens, and other than having a new battery a couple of times, it is fine. It matches the scale at my doctor's office, so I figure it is pretty close.

Speaking of batteries, if your scale is an electronic one, try replacing the battery and see if that solves your problem.

Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,340 Member
    ha I just noticed your ticker. I was probably at about the same place in my weight loss as you when mine broke. I use the "How do my clothes fit?" scale now. And then get the big news every year at my September doctor's appointment.

Being a SCUBA diver, I find it is the biggest problem not knowing my weight when I go from my Pacific Northwest home (where I use 30 lbs of weight) to the tropical waters, where I need around 8-10lbs :laugh:

Dive operators shoould all have scales!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    ha I just noticed your ticker. I was probably at about the same place in my weight loss as you when mine broke. I use the "How do my clothes fit?" scale now. And then get the big news every year at my September doctor's appointment.

Being a SCUBA diver, I find it is the biggest problem not knowing my weight when I go from my Pacific Northwest home (where I use 30 lbs of weight) to the tropical waters, where I need around 8-10lbs :laugh:

Dive operators shoould all have scales!

I agree with Cmriver.........the moment I stopped weight the faster I lost. Clothes tell it all.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    I'm not sure I could function without the scales!!!!! :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
    I'll change the battery & see if that helps.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.