Exercise versus genetics

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Who cares? You can't do anything about your genetics, so while it's interesting, it's not something worth worrying about.

Humans have an INCREDIBLE ability to overcome. People lose limbs and participate in iron man triathlons. You can get past whatever minor genetic predispositions you may have. Choose your destiny.

This x 1000 for the win
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Bad genetics, lack of time... etc... etc...

I refuse to be defined by these things any more. I don't give up because of them, I succeed in spite of them.

Having people tell me I can't is one of the main reasons I WILL!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    regardless of your genetics, anyone can make choices to be the best person they possibly can be.
    i think blaming genetics, time, certain illnesses, finances, etc are all just excuses people make to not do what it is they know they need to do. plus they are afraid of failing and just automatically give a reason upfront of why they cant do it
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've just watched Penn and Teller's Exercise versus Genetics and .... I'm confused.... surely you can't pin EVERYthing on genetics? I mean... I'm sure it's relevant to a point, but there MUST be outside influences; lifestyle choices, upbringing, etc. I mean... lets suppose someone is overweight, out of shape, etc... why should they give up before they've started and just assume that that's the body shape they've been allotted?
    How do you KNOW until you've tried exercising, etc, that you CAN'T be a different shape? Either I'm not getting it, or it's a very simplistic outlook. Ideas please?
    The answer is yes and no. Yes, genetics DO to some extent define what results you can achieve - if you're short and stocky, you're not going to achieve a long, slender build. If you're tall and skinny with long limbs/muscles, you're not going to be thick and blocky. Muscle shapes are pre-defined to a great degree - for example, some bodybuilders have biceps with huge, defined peaks, while others, even though they have huge biceps, will never be able to develop that type of muscle shape. Same with abs, calves, quads/hams and basically any other muscle group - what you've got is what you've got and you can't change the shape of them. Look at photos of bodybuilders - all of them have awesome physiques, but they're not identical.

On the other hand, the answer is no - regardless of your genetics, anybody is capable of improving their body to a remarkable degree. An obese person can certainly lose the fat and a skinny person can certainly build muscle - and the results will be dependent upon how dedicated they are to diet and exercise. No two peoples' results will be exactly the same even with identical diet/workout regimens, but improvements are certain. "Bad genetics" isn't a valid excuse for being obese or emaciated/skinny-fat.

The bottom line is that genetics will certainly dictate certain things (fat loss patterns, rate of muscle growth, muscle shape, etc.) and you have to be realistic about the cards you've been dealt, but that doesn't mean you can't strive to make the best of what you have. If you're tall and lanky with a sunken chest, thin bone structure and long, skinny arms, you probably don't have the genetics to be a professional bodybuilder; if you're short and squatty with a thick frame, wide hips and big calves, you're not going to look like a ballet dancer or a fashion runway model - but in either case, you can certainly make the best of what you have and build a physique that's more aesthetic and impressive than probably 90% of the people walking amongst us in the world.
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks, some great replies that make a whole lot more sense than the 'you are how you are' standpoint :)
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    "I told the doctor that obesity runs in my family, he told me that the problem in my family is that nobody runs."

I, personally, think genetics affect how easily you gain weight a lot, but my cousin and I are both slim (due to diet and exercise), while the rest of our cousins are larger. You can overcome your "fat" genetics. That being said, I don't ever expect to wear a size 0. I am still really curvy. But slim for my makeup.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think that, all other things being equal (which they rarely are), genetics may make the difference between getting on the podium or not.

Hard work, persistence and a positive mental attitude are far greater determinants of success in our lives (and not just in terms of health and fitness) but it never hurts to have the right parents.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Exactly what others said. Genetics create a "range", if you will, of possibilities. Where exactly you fall comes down to environmental factors such as lifestyle choices, childhood nutrition, etc (barring any gross physiological dysfunction or disease). That is clear to anyone who studies genetic phenomena and health.

I like this description. Short and clear. As a runner (racer), all I want to do is maximize my range. I'll never be world class, but I can be the best I can. Some are faster with less effort, but I cannot control that. However, there is much I can control - and that is enough!
  • samanthagray88
    Options
    Genes do have their place, but do not determine size. I am naturally prone to being heavy, big boned, and muscular. I know I will never be a size two because you cant lose bone, but that also doesn't mean I can let myself be 250 pounds. I have worked my tail off and although I am still not where I want to be, I know I am doing the best with what God gave me. Just be the best version of yourself. Not what you see on tv and in magazines.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hard work beats good genes when those with good genes do not also work hard.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think the genetics card is overplayed, I'm not saying it doesn't factor, but it's definitely overused.

I look at myself as an example - obesity, heart problems, high blood pressure and high cholesterol run in my family and I'm supposedly genetically pre-disposed to this. I'm not obese any more and therefore, I have reduced my chances of having a heart attack and also my cholesterol and blood pressure are both in the normal range.

I then look at my family and the people with the genetic issues mentioned above. Most of them were smokers and their diets are pretty bad (luckily most of them quit smoking, but the food they eat hasn't changed much). You don't inherit smoking and you don't inherit these bad eating habits - it's all things they learnt when they grew up. I also learnt these bad habits growing up, but made the decision not to get stuck in the same cycle. Unfortunately I look at my sister and she is in the same cycle.

It doesn't mean that I won't have a heart attack or suffer from high blood pressure or heart problems later in life, but I made a choice not to let this constrain me. I look at cousins of mine and some have just gone down the same road and blame their genes and others made the decision to break the cycle.

Even people who are predisposed to put on muscle easily - if they were to have a lifestyle of eating and drinking and not moving, well, then their genes didn't help them much.

I choose to use this information to make informed decisions, but not let it constrain me.
  • martintanz
    Options
    I've just watched Penn and Teller's Exercise versus Genetics and .... I'm confused.... surely you can't pin EVERYthing on genetics? I mean... I'm sure it's relevant to a point, but there MUST be outside influences; lifestyle choices, upbringing, etc. I mean... lets suppose someone is overweight, out of shape, etc... why should they give up before they've started and just assume that that's the body shape they've been allotted?
    How do you KNOW until you've tried exercising, etc, that you CAN'T be a different shape? Either I'm not getting it, or it's a very simplistic outlook. Ideas please?

I found it and watched it. Thought it was funny. They aren't saying you can't get in shape. Just calling out fitness industry bull****ers on specious claims. Penn and Teller arent't telling anyone not to exercise. Quite the contrary. If you eat right and exercise, you just become a fitter version of yourself, which is a good thing. But you probably won't look like your favorite fitness celebrity.

As for body type, I have been in shape and out of shape. Even in shape, I can't change my body type, which is endomorph. Just do what I can with it.

I would make this analogy. If you start running, with time and training, you will get faster, but probably not Usain Bolt fast. If I worked out with a football coach, over time, I would become a better football player, but the chances of my starting at quarterback for the Green Bay Packers is, well, zero. Or playing power forward in the NBA. Or beating Roger Federer in a tennis match. None of this means I shouldn't try any of these sports if I am so inclined. Only that genetics is a wall most of us run up against eventually.