Barefoot running anybody?

A mother and daughter told me that they were into barefoot running, and run the Peachtree Road Race (10K) barefoot. Fascinated, I downloaded a book about it, and got started about 5 months ago. My feet don't like shoes. I want to run, but if I run in shoes I either get shin splints (tendonitis), or ankle sprains, and my toes feel like they're going to splinter. Running barefoot, with forefoot falls, alleviates all that.

But I've been out of it for about a month -- daughter's wedding and unable to drag myself out of bed -- and now it's too dark to hit the sidewalk without shoes -- can't see what I might be stepping on... And now that it's getting colder, I wonder what to do in cold weather.

I have some Merrill barefoot shoes, but even in them, my toes hurt and I'm feeling something like shin splints in my lower legs. This morning, I came inside, took off my shoes, and jogged slowly back and forth in our basement.

Does anybody have any ideas, or any good hints for barefoot running?

Replies

• I have been a barefoot runner for almost 4 years. Run 80-100 miles a week. I would recommend the Invisible Shoe as a great shoe option. No worries about a toebox being big enough. They fit every foot perfectly! They are changing the name to Xero Shoes but for now you can learn more at http://invisibleshoe.com. For running when it's colder you can use Injinji socks or Toesox with these shoes. Hope that helps.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    I run barefoot on road, pavement (UK) if it is smooth and clean enough and the beach if I am lucky enough to fit a run in where I am working near a beach. I follow up with a swim in the sea to cool off.

Can't advise on barefoot shoes - I literally run barefoot and love it!
  • I don't run because of trashed knees - but my brother (who does) recommended ZemGear. They're socks with superthin soles and elasticy bands around the arch of the foot. The unisex sizes run large, so order a size down from what their website recommends.