How to raise metabolism

Options
How do I raise my metabolism after eating around a 1000 calorie a day diet for more than a year I am 5'4 and 186 pounds I never noticed how little I ate cuz I was never really hungry. I am now trying to eat at least 1200 calories and am doing zumba from home ? Thanx to any answers

Replies

• erika101710
    Options
    Also I have maintained the same weight for a year I don't gain any
  • letlethugo
    letlethugo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    try to eat food that can help you speed up your metabolism... like egg, red bell pepper..
  • MMJT24
    MMJT24 Posts: 8
    Options
    Exercise will of course increase your metabolism but if you want to jump start it with food here is some tips:

-Drink green tea with every meal
    -Eat spicy foods: Hot foods or even mild herbs and spices will speed up the metabolism.
    - Increase your take of omega 3 fats (nuts, eggs, flax seeds, fish, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado)
    - Yogurt and Kefir and very good for the body and aid in weight loss
    - Lean cuts of meat (chicken breast and turkey)
    - Eat lots of colorful foods. Color equals nutrition, nutrition will lead to weight loss and health.
    - Eat the right amount of calories otherwise your body will hold on to fat.
  • MMJT24
    Options
    Also make sure you are eating enough protein! :D
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lift weight build muscle..

sorry but i dont think eating certain types of food are good ways to permanently raise your metabolism.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

sorry but i dont think eating certain types of food are good ways to permanently raise your metabolism.

You have to regulate hormones by eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Try this.

Youll gain weight for the first couple weeks while adjusting to TDEE.
    Then cut again at a slight deficit.
  • MMJT24
    Options

True, gaining muscle is a longer lasting form of increased metabolism, but it is not permanent either. You have to maintain your new muscle mass. Sure foods don't increase your metabolism for long periods of time but they will increase it for hours and if at each meal you eat foods that cause a thermogenic effect on the body then you will have a raised metabolism throughout the day. Add exercise and muscle gain and you will lose weight in very healthy way. Make this a lifestyle and you will be in good health and be able to maintain your weight.

Also most metabolism raising foods are extremely beneficial to the body. They usually contain antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamines and minerals; which in turn help regulate hormones (extremely important for women and weight loss),and balance brain chemicals (dopamine, gaba, serotonin, acetylcholine). Not to mention most of these foods are natural appetite suppressant.

So, I totally agree with you about exercising, but food plays a vital role on our metabolism also.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    How do I raise my metabolism after eating around a 1000 calorie a day diet for more than a year I am 5'4 and 186 pounds I never noticed how little I ate cuz I was never really hungry. I am now trying to eat at least 1200 calories and am doing zumba from home ? Thanx to any answers

Unless you are a magician your measurement of this 1000 calories was way off... I suggest with documenting and measuring food a bit more for accuracy.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ This.
  • llayc013
    Options
    your metabolism, brain memory, & body, consider it like a computer... all computers can be programed.. train and program your body.... my metabolism is ridiculously FAST. i've trained it to slow down just a bit..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you actually want to increase your metabolic rate, you need to weight train, eat at a small surplus and gain new lean body mass. Prolong periods of suppression can slowly be corrected by increase calories as well as weight training to stabilize your hormones like Dan suggested. Certain foods might help, but it won't have any real significance.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on here just eating 1000 calories a day because I was used to skipping dinner

I am still trying to find my maintenance level, and have been taking baby steps instead of just increasing my calories by huge amounts. So far me giving my body time to adjust to each level seems to have worked for me. My goal is to be able to maintain my current weight and yet eat more. Every time I increased I would add things in like fruit and nuts

What I have done is increased my calorie level by 100 a day more and stayed at that level for at least 2 weeks

Every time I did that it seemed to jump start my metabolism.

Then in August I plateaued for a couple of months at 1500 a day calories intake

Then all of a sudden I started losing again and I am now eating 1700 a day and I have a feeling I'll be going up again.

I have had to have cheat days to gain back some weight because I don't need to lose anymore.

I hope this helps
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    hmmm...how bout crack??

You never see a fat crack ho.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I found this and it seems to make sense

photo.png
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast! and a good one... within 1-2 hours of waking up! This is really one of the best ways to get your metabolism going for the day and keep it going all day by eating regularly (i.e. not 2 huge meals, but smaller ones) and exercising.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat breakfast! and a good one... within 1-2 hours of waking up! This is really one of the best ways to get your metabolism going for the day and keep it going all day by eating regularly (i.e. not 2 huge meals, but smaller ones) and exercising.

This is 100% false. This is an old myth that has been debunked for some time now. Your metabolism never stops and it doesn't slow down at night. Eating breakfast will not increase weight loss if calories are consistent. Neither meal timing or meal frequency have any impact on weight loss, only satiety.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating breakfast and have lost fat since.
    Actually, working out fasted has shown to improve insulin sensitivity so you can effect p-ratio.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Exercise will of course increase your metabolism but if you want to jump start it with food here is some tips:

-Drink green tea with every meal
    -Eat spicy foods: Hot foods or even mild herbs and spices will speed up the metabolism.
    - Increase your take of omega 3 fats (nuts, eggs, flax seeds, fish, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado)
    - Yogurt and Kefir and very good for the body and aid in weight loss
    - Lean cuts of meat (chicken breast and turkey)
    - Eat lots of colorful foods. Color equals nutrition, nutrition will lead to weight loss and health.
    - Eat the right amount of calories otherwise your body will hold on to fat.
    Spot on! Capcasin in hot peppers is like nitrous oxide for a motor if in doubt add tabasco sauce or some habanero sauce to your food... Green tea is a natural diuretic and also digestion enhancer according to many sources, I prefer Yerba Mate... Omega 3 boosts brain chemistry and structure... Yogurt with active enzymes increases the health of the digestive tract. Nutrients from natural vegetable sources are able to be digested much better than those of mineral supplements and the variety of colors reflects, sorry for the pun, the minerals and vitamins within the different vegetables. Fruits of the rainbow help as well. Papaya and mango affect protein digestion if you are on a higher protein diet. Avocado and tomatoes are fruits we think of as vegetables that are incredible boosters of metabolism. One additional thought is to boost these with supplements as well such as a multivitamin, omega 3, gingko, ginseng, and papaya.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

^^^ just because I like pretty pictures to go along with my advice :flowerforyou:
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options

This is 100% false. This is an old myth that has been debunked for some time now. Your metabolism never stops and it doesn't slow down at night. Eating breakfast will not increase weight loss if calories are consistent. Neither meal timing or meal frequency have any impact on weight loss, only satiety.
    First, this is true to a point... Breakfast is not essential... I however eat 150 to 300 calories within an hour of waking to prevent hunger and to boost metabolism with my eating choices. It also helps to maintain an even blood sugar level so that you do not have your energy wane during the day. I have some yogurt and usually some hot sauce every morning for the capcasin to boost metabolism. I then take my supplements to slow them down in the digestive tract for good absorption. Good health is not just calorie deficits... One other great study showed that you burn less calories watching TV than while you sleep! Go to bed and burn more calories than going catatonic infront of the TV... Go with someone you love to burn even more...