How do I stop cutting myself?

Options
I have some mental health issues and I have been cutting myself for years now. It's the only way that helps to release the pain.
Has anyone been through this and managed to stop cutting themselves? How?

** This is not attention seeking, trying to seek help from other members which have gone through the same thing.**

Replies

• UKChloeT
    Options
    I'm not a cutter but if you want to stop then you need to know the reason behind why you started. What is the cause of the pain you're trying to release? You may be best speaking to a doctor, who can refer you to a councillor who can talk you through everything. Don't be put off by "officials" x
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cutter but if you want to stop then you need to know the reason behind why you started. What is the cause of the pain you're trying to release? You may be best speaking to a doctor, who can refer you to a councillor who can talk you through everything. Don't be put off by "officials" x

I'll try :/ counsellors have always scared me in the past <3
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep,,, you have to get the control back in your life!, make a appt to see a doc!, be strong!,,,, you can fight this!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    What stopped me was when I inadvertently caused such damage that I needed 98 stitches to sort out the wound, and almost went through the muscle. That scared me sufficiently that I did not cut again. I scratch and I claw when I am very distressed, but I have not cut since.
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am a former cutter....I managed to stop when I found a doctor I could actually talk to, he sent me to an amazing counselor. It took me talking to both on a regular basis as well as managing my other mental health issues with medication. Don't let the counselor idea scare you. Yes it's scarey at first but you can totally do it, especially once you find the right treatment team for yourself.Feel free to message me if you would like to talk further about it. I just don't want to put too much out in message boards.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    Easier said than done (I know) but try to find a new outlet. For me, running helped. Instead of causing damaging pain from cutting, go to the gym and do an intensive workout, focus on the burn in your muscles. Go for a run and pound out your frustration on the pavement.

Speaking to someone will definatly help and it is something you should do but you also need to try and find a new way of dealing with whatever it is that makes you cut, stress or anger etc.
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    I attempted to cut myself a few times, didn't even bleed, I felt like a failure already and then felt like a failure at not even being able to cut, so I understand how you feel. I had been seeing a psychiatrist for a while, and he really helped me. So I highly recommend seeing a counsellor, and getting some help working through it. Best of luck!
  • chamachraibi
    Options
    Hello,

I'm not sure how this response is going to play out because I don't think I have a point by point guideline for you to follow, but I'll still give it a shot in the hope that something will grab your attention.
    I tried once to cut myself, I was going through a dark path and thought maybe cutting would do something. It was quite comic as I failed miserably, I couldn't go through with it. I guess my threshold for pain is too low. I immediately thought, holy ****, people who do it must endure excruciating emotional pain to actually endure the searing pain of cutting. I have a theory that for every problem in this world, there is a solution. Whatever you're going through, it is imperative you trust someone has been there before, you need to believe there is a way out, there IS a solution to your problem whatever it may be. I've come to learn that self-harm is never the key to sustainable comfort and happiness. The concept of it is flawed by design.
    Also, don't sell yourself short, do not underestimate your willpower, and don't be a martyr. I can see that you've admitted to a mental health problem, which is quite an extraordinary achievement on its own. You're also seeking out help, not in the right place albeit. Of course there is a 20% chance that you can overcome this on your own, but your chance will quadruple if you confide in someone who is professionally trained to help, to listen and especially to give you the attention you direly need.

Also, you've lost about 20kg let that be a testament and a path for a better life.

Have a lovely day, and start healing yourself.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You seek professional help instead of using the MFP forum as an outlet to delay getting better. Sorry to be so blunt, but I see your posts and worry about the fact that you are coming to anonymous strangers on the internet instead of seeing a counselor with professional training of some sort. Things won't get better until you get the care you need.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I'll try :/ counsellors have always scared me in the past <3

A lot of self-harmers are afraid to speak to a therapist because they're afraid of being committed. While I can understand that fear, it's misplaced-you will not be committed. Self-harm is a much more common problem than most people realize and can be treated without hospitalization. So if that's what put you off seeing a therapist, or telling a therapist about the self-harm, please let that worry go.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I'm sorry that I can not actually afford to go to a GP and/or counsellor right now?...
  • I used to cut. From age 15-23.

What helped? Getting rid of ****ty people. No need to keep people in my life who dont deserve to be. I can do better on my own. Another thing I learned... I am a masochist. I believe its the reason i used to creep on EX bfs Facebook pages, the reason why I put myself in stupid situations. I like to hurt myself emotionally. I am not sure if its a cycle. I am finding my weight problems are related to the masochism. I get to a good weight, then add it back on because I like to feel like crap. Also I found I have a hormone issue that causes my suicidal thoughts which lead to a diagnosis of a thyroid disorder.

I am seeking professional help. I think you should too. A medical doctor for my hormones, and a shrink for all the emotional stuff. Talking to someone takes a lot of courage. But I feel in the end its worth it.
  • ShamaraRobyn
    Options
    You already know cutting doesn't really help you.
    The damage you are doing your future self is greater than the 'comfort' you believe it provides you.
    You'll stop when you're ready, when you want to, when you realise you have control over your own actions.
    It doesn't even take being in -that- much legitimate distress to become 'addicted.' I stopped years ago when I realised I was actually rather blessed and had no cause or right to do so, and I'm no longer even capable of doing so. As for the inherent attention-seeking nature of SI, that's a total misjudgement. I for one only attacked my legs, and never told anybody until long after I'd stopped. I've watched my friend, who actually has pretty darn serious problems (paranoid schizophrenia with hallucinations, total delusion of being unloved, family issues, destructive parasitic friends) , keep harming herself over four years just because she couldn't believe that she could stop, like her hand does it and not her head. With all the hours upon hours I've talked and listened with her she now still cuts intermittently- because she believes depends on it. She has been in and out of hospital, had sessions with professional therapists, knows self-harming is actually making the situation worse, but that doesn't seem to change anything. Then again, she's only 16, which doesn't help. It'll be bad news if she carries this into adult life. She needs -willpower.-

Get yourself the things that you need - help, new activities. Equip and empower yourself.
    These things feel overpowering- you just have to power over them. Best of luck.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ― Henry Ford
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I can not actually afford to go to a GP and/or counsellor right now?...

Given I can't view your profile but you measure your weight in metric I'm guessing you're not in the US, in which case surely all of that is available for free? I didn't think there was anywhere left in the developed world outside the States that didn't offer free access to GP and basic counselling services.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

well, if you cant get proper help, maybe put away all the knives, put on some oven gloves and watch your favourite tv show.
  • lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is a matter of accepting one's self warts, scars and all. Whatever horrors you have locked inside your mind need to be released to someone you can trust. Hopefully a mental health professional. Whatever happened to you that caused this tremendous pain you are holding, you need to let it out. Go to your city's/ towns mental health clinic . They base your fee on your income or lack of. I was having issues years ago with suicidal thoughts and tendencies and found a wonderful counsilor who helped me help myself. I learned how to accept that bad things sometime happen to children. That ones family is not always the best source of unconditional love, or support and acceptance. I learned that I am a good and loving person worth knowing. I also learned how to control certain behaviors that brought down my self esteem. You ARE worth it. You have to love yourself in spite of the pain. You CAN do this. Please talk to someone!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    You already know cutting doesn't really help you.
    The damage you are doing your future self is greater than the 'comfort' you believe it provides you.
    You'll stop when you're ready, when you want to, when you realise you have control over your own actions.
    It doesn't even take being in -that- much legitimate distress to become 'addicted.' I stopped years ago when I realised I was actually rather blessed and had no cause or right to do so, and I'm no longer even capable of doing so. As for the inherent attention-seeking nature of SI, that's a total misjudgement. I for one only attacked my legs, and never told anybody until long after I'd stopped. I've watched my friend, who actually has pretty darn serious problems (paranoid schizophrenia with hallucinations, total delusion of being unloved, family issues, destructive parasitic friends) , keep harming herself over four years just because she couldn't believe that she could stop, like her hand does it and not her head. With all the hours upon hours I've talked and listened with her she now still cuts intermittently- because she believes depends on it. She has been in and out of hospital, had sessions with professional therapists, knows self-harming is actually making the situation worse, but that doesn't seem to change anything. Then again, she's only 16, which doesn't help. It'll be bad news if she carries this into adult life. She needs -willpower.-

Get yourself the things that you need - help, new activities. Equip and empower yourself.
    These things feel overpowering- you just have to power over them. Best of luck.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ― Henry Ford

Yep I only cut my thighs so that noone else can see/notice it..
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Given I can't view your profile but you measure your weight in metric I'm guessing you're not in the US, in which case surely all of that is available for free? I didn't think there was anywhere left in the developed world outside the States that didn't offer free access to GP and basic counselling services.

Canberra, Australia..
    And yes I do have health care but it works differently where I live.
    For drs you pay the full session then get half back, and with counsellors pretty sure you are entitled to 2 or 3 sessions not sure.. but only after you go to the GP.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you're still in education is there a medical staff/counsellor there you can speak to? If you're at school you would almost certainly be able to discuss a referral to counselling via them if you spoke to the right people.
  • graciousdove
    graciousdove Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a counselor, try to find one that will work with you on the financial part. Mty first suggestion is that you start with a local church. Pastor's offer counseling for free and they have been through school and are trained to offer counseling services. If the pastor feels that he cannot help you, he should be able to provide names to other people that can. I hope that you will not let finances deter you from seeking the help that you need right now. As you can see from other posts, you are not alone in this and there are resources out there if you are willing to take that first step. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.