Proper Football Teams (Soccer to some)

Options

Replies

• seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The pride of my nation and purveyor of the beautiful game.......Swansea City

Currently 10th in the Barclays Premier League :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Silly Europeans...Flamengo all the way
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Well first let me explain that I am an American and I am originally from Ohio. My football team is the Cleveland Browns and my baseball team is the Cleveland Indians. They usually suck. And they suck big time, but they are my teams and I will cheer and hope and support them no matter what. That being said...I got addicted during the last World Cup. The next logical step from there was to pick a Premier League team to support that I could watch at home. I picked Manchester United as my team to support so that I could finally back a team that was going to win a lot and they have Wayne Rooney. So now I am a soccer/proper football fan! I am planning a trip to England in a few years and nothing would make that trip better than a trip to Old Trafford.
  • Well first let me explain that I am an American and I am originally from Ohio. My football team is the Cleveland Browns and my baseball team is the Cleveland Indians. They usually suck. And they suck big time, but they are my teams and I will cheer and hope and support them no matter what. That being said...I got addicted during the last World Cup. The next logical step from there was to pick a Premier League team to support that I could watch at home. I picked Manchester United as my team to support so that I could finally back a team that was going to win a lot and they have Wayne Rooney. So now I am a soccer/proper football fan! I am planning a trip to England in a few years and nothing would make that trip better than a trip to Old Trafford.

I love Old Trafford, brilliant atmosphere.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You know if you simply 'pick' Man U as you football team you will never have any real credibility or respect as a fan. Same as if you had picked one of the bankrolled clubs like Chelsea or Man City.

I have a lot of respect for the , Man U, Man City and Chelsea supporters just not the 'new' ones

And there is no atmosphere like Anfield.

Football has been ruined by the money now I enjoy it less and less each year.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    East Fife! :bigsmile:
  • seamatt
    Options

I don't know my local library was quite similar last time I visited.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love watching the Premier League! My favourite teams are ManCity, Arsenal, and Spurs. Well, up until that point when AVB finally gets rid of Friedel - I'll be SO through with Spurs then! (love Friedel. And Howard Webb *phwoar*) :D

That's why you support Spurs? Thought it was strange to support Arsenal and Spurs! Haha.

Yes, I have to admit that it's mainly Friedel ... *giggles girlishly*
  • TimmyT66
    Options
    You know if you simply 'pick' Man U as you football team you will never have any real credibility or respect as a fan. Same as if you had picked one of the bankrolled clubs like Chelsea or Man City.

I have a lot of respect for the , Man U, Man City and Chelsea supporters just not the 'new' ones

Think Liverpool gained at lot of 'glory hunting' fans when they used to be successful :wink: I suppose if you have never followed football but then find an interest in it you will always pick one of the top teams at the time can't really blame people for that they may become as passionate and loyal as the best.

Whats your prediction for the Derby?
  • TimmyT66
    Options

Ha ha banter love this!!
  • You know if you simply 'pick' Man U as you football team you will never have any real credibility or respect as a fan. Same as if you had picked one of the bankrolled clubs like Chelsea or Man City.

Think Liverpool gained at lot of 'glory hunting' fans when they used to be successful :wink: I suppose if you have never followed football but then find an interest in it you will always pick one of the top teams at the time can't really blame people for that they may become as passionate and loyal as the best.

I agree, I support Liverpool because I used to live there and I love them. I do get stick for not supporting my local club, though (Weymouth, anyone?) which I think is stupid. I just like football. I like Man United (argh, I know, shut up!) and I watch Charlton when I can as it's my current closest local team and I go watch my boyfriend's football team... The whole glory hunting fan thing is stupid if you just apply it to people who 'pick' a team that is convenient to them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    COWBOYS!! oh wait wrong thread...
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

As I said...I started out watching the World Cup and Rooney. I guess if he were a Hotspur, I would probably be a Tottenham fan, but he isn't. I don't have any home town team to support in the Premier League b/c in my life I have only spent about 8 hours in England and that was b/c I missed a flight at Heathrow when coming back from Morocco and was stuck there for the night.

I understand the whole hating teams with money thing as I have the same feelings towards the New York Yankees. It doesn't make me any less of a Cleveland Indians fan and it doesn't make the Yankees fans any less passionate. It just means that they beat us a lot more and it is that much more satisfying when we beat them.

You don't have to respect my choice, I guess. I just thought it was nice to post about a sport that I have only recently become interested in. Sorry to be one of those who you apparently see as just jumping on the rich team's bandwagon.
  • TimmyT66
    Options

As I said...I started out watching the World Cup and Rooney. I guess if he were a Hotspur, I would probably be a Tottenham fan, but he isn't. I don't have any home town team to support in the Premier League b/c in my life I have only spent about 8 hours in England and that was b/c I missed a flight at Heathrow when coming back from Morocco and was stuck there for the night.

I understand the whole hating teams with money thing as I have the same feelings towards the New York Yankees. It doesn't make me any less of a Cleveland Indians fan and it doesn't make the Yankees fans any less passionate. It just means that they beat us a lot more and it is that much more satisfying when we beat them.

You don't have to respect my choice, I guess. I just thought it was nice to post about a sport that I have only recently become interested in. Sorry to be one of those who you apparently see as just jumping on the rich team's bandwagon.

Lisa don't worry lot of people will think it's great you've started to enjoy one of the greatest games in the world, you were never going to support Bury or Rochdale, you've got your reasons and good for you! By the way Wayne Rooney supports Everton and played for them before big spending Man Ure came in for him!
  • Murf1968
    Murf1968 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    By the way Wayne Rooney supports Everton and played for them before big spending Man Ure came in for him!

"Once a blue, always a blue"

Yeah, right!!! :laugh:
  • seamatt
    Options
    It's all about the money
  • super_monty
    Options

I think Everton will do us mate 2-0 I have just got back from the match we won but we where shocking.

And yes we got plenty of glory hunting fans now, as Everton are gaining fans because its cool to pick everyone rather than Liverpool because the scouse working class are being squeezed out if the club for rich out of Towners . I am 40 mate life long fan I have seen it happen and the American owners are making it worse .
  • super_monty
    Options

Ha ha banter love this!!

There has been a lot of changes at the club the new middle class fans don't know what to sing or chant.
    The poor form isn't giving us much to cheer about ATM ,

Give respect to the blue****e mate bucking the money trend.
  • seamatt
    Options
    Would put my money on Everton as well.

Everton were the best side I have seen at the Liberty this season......and possibly better than anything last season. They were class.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As an American, I gotta go with Dempsey and Tottenham. Duh.
    Anyone but Man U!