Beginner to Lifting

Hi there,

I feel very sociable today! This is the second topic I have posted today..

Anyway, I want to begin lifting. But I do not want to go to the gym. I want to buy a dumbell kit so I can do it in my own home. Here are a few of my many questions to you.. -
- What sort of weights do I start from?
- Anyone know any good kits from a UK retailer? I looked at Argos but I was a bit baffled at what I'm actually going to be buying.
- How many times a week should I be lifting and for how long each of these days?
- When do I know to start lifting a heavier weight?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I've noticed a lot of people on here really rate lifting. Any light shed on this topic will be highly, highly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Replies

• GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Honestly you would be better with a barbell set, a flat bench, and a power rack. It could all fit in one corner of a room and you could do every compound exercise needed.

If this is something you are interested in I recommend the Stronglifts 5X5 program. Very easy to understand for beginner lifters. The program will explain how often to lift and how to increase your weight. I have had significant strength gains on this program.
  • I need to know exactly the same. I have started to use the Multi gym which we have at home but need to start using weights. I was

going to buy a set of dumbells from ( A well known auction site) and get started from there. Looking foreward to the replies :-)
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Honestly you would be better with a barbell set, a flat bench, and a power rack. It could all fit in one corner of a room and you could do every compound exercise needed.

If this is something you are interested in I recommend the Stronglifts 5X5 program. Very easy to understand for beginner lifters. The program will explain how often to lift and how to increase your weight. I have had significant strength gains on this program.

Thanks for your response!

However, this is a little hard for me because I do not have the space for this. :( I will take a look into the program!

@wiijogger - Good luck! :) Hope this helps you as much as it will hopefully me!
  • kellehbeans
    bump
  • candymycandy
    candymycandy Posts: 11 Member
    Hi there,

Anyway, I want to begin lifting. But I do not want to go to the gym. I want to buy a dumbell kit so I can do it in my own home. Here are a few of my many questions to you.. -
    - Anyone know any good kits from a UK retailer? I looked at Argos but I was a bit baffled at what I'm actually going to be buying.
    - How many times a week should I be lifting and for how long each of these days?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I've noticed a lot of people on here really rate lifting. Any light shed on this topic will be highly, highly appreciated. Thanks! :)

I bought a cheap set of dumbells from Argos and just use them for strength really, they have a dumbell "tree" for a tenner and more expensive ones also. I incorporate moves from Jillian Michael's workouts (you can get on her website if you don't have any dvds) so you work more parts of your body than just your arms etc. I normally do strength training most days and vary what exercises I do (I don't do particularly strenous stuff so figure I can do it most days). I guess you know when to move up a weight when you start feeling little resistance or it gets too easy!

On average I do 3 reps of 15 per move.

I'm not a professional so someone else might be able to offer better advice, but this has all been working for me! Hope it helps.
  • kellehbeans
    Hi there,

I bought a cheap set of dumbells from Argos and just use them for strength really, they have a dumbell "tree" for a tenner and more expensive ones also. I incorporate moves from Jillian Michael's workouts (you can get on her website if you don't have any dvds) so you work more parts of your body than just your arms etc. I normally do strength training most days and vary what exercises I do (I don't do particularly strenous stuff so figure I can do it most days). I guess you know when to move up a weight when you start feeling little resistance or it gets too easy!

On average I do 3 reps of 15 per move.

I'm not a professional so someone else might be able to offer better advice, but this has all been working for me! Hope it helps.

Thank you! I just see that set for a tenner. It doesn't look too bad, there's a set of 1kg, 1.5kg and 2kg. Seems pretty good to me. However I would rather the set in a case because I don't like the trees as they will be put away in a cupboard and I don't have too much room. I find they'll be so much easier to just transport, but £16.99 for 3 where one is 0.5kg which I think I would be fine with and probably move straight to 1kg - I feel it would just be a waste of money when I need to go on to a different weight.

Thank you for your advice, it's very useful! :D
  • Ooo Argos it is then thanks ! :-)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    In your case, I'd look at a program like You Are Your Own Gym by mark lauren. I hear convict conditioning is good too.
  • kellehbeans
    In your case, I'd look at a program like You Are Your Own Gym by mark lauren. I hear convict conditioning is good too.

Thanks! I shall look into it.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    or..join a gym, mine is less then $20 a month, has all the free weights, cable stuff i need, sure it doesn't have a pool or yoga classes, but you really don't need that.

if you want aerobic exercise, run outside or use a bike.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Yeah, add push ups, pull ups (when you are strong enough), sit ups/crunches, the usual military body weight exercises...dumbells are good, but the sets you buy don't go very heavy...barbells are better...but then budget and space is possibly not on your side.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    check out strstd.com for the 5-3-1 program and you will level up so consistently, itll blow your mind.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    I disagree witht he comment about barbells over dumbells. They both have advantages & disadvantages.

Check into bodybuilding.com and jefit.com they both have some good info and tools. The JEFIT app for smartphones/tablets is great because you can pick the muscle group you want to target and it will show you a list of exercises to do to work that group. They usually include both bar & dumbell versions as well as body weight movements as well.

Something else you can do with very little equipment is Crossfit type exercises. You just need a wooden box (or something sturdy to jump up on), a couple kettle bells, and a bar with some bumper weights preferably. You can start adding more equipment as your budget allows, but there is PLENTY you can do with very little or no equipment.

Core ball, resistance bands, kettle bell, and a few dumb bells would be a great start!
  • kellehbeans
    or..join a gym, mine is less then $20 a month, has all the free weights, cable stuff i need, sure it doesn't have a pool or yoga classes, but you really don't need that.

if you want aerobic exercise, run outside or use a bike.

I already said I do not want to join a gym. I find it hard to get to that part of town and it is also a lot of money. Money I don't have.

@nexangelus - Nope! Budget isn't too much of a bother, unless it is going to a gym because that covers fuel and probably waste of money as I will go not very often. I used to do a lot of sit-ups, and I can still do them. But I never do them because I get bored of them.

@yoovie - Thanks :D

@Marc713 - Thanks! I will have a look. Again with the crossfit stuff, I really don't have the room and as I still live with my parents, they will definitely tell me no (even being 20.. ^^;). We live in a smallish house full of lots of fragile things. :) But thanks for the advice and I think I will get there eventually.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i personally like barbells, as i feel that you can greatly target more muscle groups with them.

for the home, i would get kettle bells. you can do many incredible exercises with kettle bells that also target multiple muscle groups. they are designed to be used with dynamic movements. you can buy a set of varied weight kb's at a sporting goods store.

look up the kettle bell swing, snatch, and clean & press. these are some of the key exercises of kettle bells. others are sumo dead lift high pulls and turkish get ups.

they can also be used similarly to dumb bells, with exercises like goblet squats, weighted sit ups, and bicep curls.

you tube 300 kettle bell meltdown. that is a killer work out, and an idea of what you can do with the weights.
  • kellehbeans
    i personally like barbells, as i feel that you can greatly target more muscle groups with them.

for the home, i would get kettle bells. you can do many incredible exercises with kettle bells that also target multiple muscle groups. they are designed to be used with dynamic movements. you can buy a set of varied weight kb's at a sporting goods store.

look up the kettle bell swing, snatch, and clean & press. these are some of the key exercises of kettle bells. others are sumo dead lift high pulls and turkish get ups.

they can also be used similarly to dumb bells, with exercises like goblet squats, weighted sit ups, and bicep curls.

you tube 300 kettle bell meltdown. that is a killer work out, and an idea of what you can do with the weights.

Thanks! I see these kettle bells but I wasn't sure how effective they would be. I think I will think about this all tonight, don't get paid until tomorrow. :)