10 km run in 17 days . Any advice how to prepare?

Hi guys! Quite unexpectedly it turned out that there is a 10 km run in 17 days (11th of Novemeber) that I can take part in. The distance is not a problem at all but I never run in an actual race so I don't really know how to prepare. 17 days is not much time so I'm probably not going to improve much but I'd like to have as good result as possible anyway. Any tips?

Replies

• KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    You didn't say what your level of running experience is. Google Hal Higdon training programs. You don't have to conduct a full program but you'll see a combo of distance runs and speedwork.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    If the distance isn;t a problem then don;t worry about it

Wear the gear you are use too, don;t change your diet to something you have never tried.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Thanks for advice! I am a generally quite fit person and I run 10 km in about 55-60 minutes few times a week. I am going to sit down and make myself a training plan because I plan on running a marathon next September and few people here had great tips. I swim 1 km non stop without a problem ... so I guess I'm rather fit. This chance to get any race experiance came very suddenly and I'd love to use it to the fullest.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    if the distance is okay, then i wouldn't worry about any type of special training.

over the next 17 days, i recommend doing no more then three long runs, but nothing longer then you've ever done before. so if the most you've ever run is 10km, don't go and try and do 20km your next time out. a little further is fine (about 10%), but don't push yourself just because you're "in the zone."

try and do a few speed work outs and a few shorter 'regular' runs. the speed work outs can just be sprinting up a hill over and over, or a HIIT run, or just a few 100m dashes at a park. the regular runs should be short 2-3 mile runs, done at tempo speed.

and relax! for your first race, you are going to learn more than anything. wear your regular gear and shoes, eat like you normally would before a run, and have fun.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    You've run the distance and 17 days isn't enough time to gain any significant training effect from a program for your race. So build any training programs on your later goals.

For the race itself, go out at a effort that is a bit more than your normal training pace, but which you feel like you could run for 10km. Be conservative and try not to get caught up with those who go out too fast. Run the race by effort, constantly determining if you still think you can hold the effort until the finish. If you get closer to the end and feel like you can ramp up the effort, do so - perhaps over the last couple of kilometers. Focus on effort, not pace.

Racing well at the 5-10km distance is as much about learning how to put your training to maximum use as is the training itself. You will be gaining experience in that part for the first time, so what you should evaluate after the race is how well you did at figuring out the effort that was required.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    thanks everyone! you are right. I have to take it easy and not stress out and just do it.

Thanks wolfgate for the info that racing short distances is about learning. It is a very important point for me!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Just have fun and also there is no need to "carbo-load" since it's a short distance, just eat a good breakfast, like oatmeal, bagel, something with carbs. Tie your shoes well but not too tight, hydrate, charge your phone/ipod, if you run with sunglasses, a cap or any extra gear have it ready so you don't forget it in the morning before you leave. Good Luck!
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    take it easy the week before (small mileage), and do nothing the day before, and eat a lot the night before.
  • Don't care about time and pace, because in only 17 days you'll not be able to improve your pace. ENJOY THE RACE...and this is the best thing to do always. Run just for run and enjoy everything around you. :)