Help my binging problem has returned

Options
First of all let me give you some backround, i've never been a slim girl but was always active as a kid/teenager so my eating was never a problem. As a teenage girl i developed the usual anxieties about the way i looked became quite depressed, self harmed & would binge whenever the world got too much for me. I would then wake up the next day & carry on as normal til the next episode. When i met my partner 8 years ago he encouraged me to seek professional help & with support i have overcome my issues, started a successful career & recently become a mum for the first time.

The problem is that my binging problem seems to have returned, i get so low when i'm sitting at home & before i know it i'm spending £10 on chocolate & cake :( Today has been one of those days i could'nt tell you why but since i woke up i've not been very happy, went to the shop to pick up some groceries & somehow ended up with a basket of junk! I'm really angry with myself right now as i've just worked it out & i've consumed 3200 cals in just over an hour :mad: No matter what i do this week theres no way i can burn off all those excess cals before weigh in on Monday & i feel so angry that i've sabotaged myself again. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with becomming a mum, could PND develop this way? I will be making an appointment to see my Dr as this is not the healthy environment i want my son growing up in but i just wanted to get some support from someone to make me feel not so stupid & angry

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    How about interrupting the cycle before it gets to the food...why are you sitting at home feeling low in the first place...and how about getting a hobby that keeps your hands busy...like sewing, embroidery, cross-stitch, knitting, crochet, etc...a beautiful way to make gifts for yourself and others, plus it keeps you busy and isn't too expensive to get into...it's a nice emotional boost to see beautiful things you have made and it consumes a lot of time with busy hands on work...
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you made an appointment with your Doctor. Remember what helped you overcome this problem before. Best thing is you are seeking help. hang in there!
  • lovingmethin
    lovingmethin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this book would help you or not, but I have been reading it and I find that I relate to much of what the author says. Maybe you could read about the book on Amazon. I have never been a self help book kind of chic. I'm usually the one who thinks that she has her crap together and who gives advice, but deep down inside me, I have some very real pain. I have control issues as well. The one way that I allow my life to be out of control is with food. If I am angry or upset, I keep my life together to the outside world, but I self destruct on the inside and I eat.....I punish myself by overeating or sometimes even undereating. The author of the book I listed below helped to point this out to me.

Good luck!!

When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy by Geneen Roth
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    OK, I know nothing of being a mum, so I can't really answer that question, but I see you are going to see your dr. and that is a very good thing: I believe that the more help you can get now before the binging becomes an habit again, the better.
    Especially since you will be a mother soon and you want your kid to be healthy and grow up with healthy eating habits.

What I do know is, you are definitely not stupid: I know a lot of people with the same problem that you had and they are definitely not stupid.
    Also, don't bash yourself for the binge: the past is the past. If you manage to follow a healthy plan, you will burn those calories in no time, even without extra effort.

May I suggest you this article here http://www.niashanks.com/2011/11/beautiful-badass-nutrition-principles/ and this other one ? http://www.niashanks.com/2011/10/my-battle-with-disordered-eating/
    I hope they will make you feel better.

A big hug.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I don't know the answers sweetie, I just wanna give you a hug. Always here for you (as I hope you know) xxx