Vacation - how to eat?

Options
I'm leaving town for a week and I didn't really think about how I'm going to handle eating away from home. Any suggestions or tips for travel dinning?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Where are you going? Will you be making any meals yourself or eating out all the time?
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Take a week off, don't stress too much about food, watch a little bit on portions and healthy choices. Enjoy your time away and come back fully motivated to restart on here!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I typically eat half of the portion that is served to me, focus on fruits and vegetables and, if dinner includes dessert, I hand it off to my husband who can eat pretty much anything without gaing weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i went to vegas for a week in september and ate and drank anything and everything i fancied.

when i got back i was straight back on here logging!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I ate out for 2 weeks and never gained a pound. I had a omelet every morning...and a chicken salad for lunch or something like it...and like grilled fish for most dinners. I passed on the potaoes & bread and asked for more veggies. I also had some chips, nuts or pretzels for a snack...it was vacation after all.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good question on what kind of place you're staying at and where you're going.

I've had a couple of vacations where we've been in townhouses or junior suites that have a kitchen or kitechenette and that can make food choices much easier. Cook if you can or at least bring some safe snacks - nuts, popcorn, fruit, protein bars. If you're going to be eating out most/all meals, make the same kinds of choices you would at home and try to go to chain restaurants since most now have calories on the menu or at least have some healthy low cal options.

I think it's ok to indulge a bit because you're on vacation after all, but try to offset it with activity or keep it to a minimum. If you're going someplace where you'll be walking around all day, that's quite a bit of activity but you still might want to try to add on a few trips to the hotel gym or go for a run.

Just dining out a lot can lead to a weight gain because of all the sodium so try to make sure you're still drinking a ton of water!

And most importantly - HAVE FUN!! :)
  • uxbridgeheli
    Options
    I like to keep things high protein and low carb when I'm away and watch your portions.
    But do enjoy yourself!!!
    H x
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am with the eat what you want crowd. We take care of ourselves to enjoy our life. Unless you go on vacation every couple of months, you should eat what you want.

Now in saying that, if you have been at this a while, what you want is going to be more on the healthy side. Just try to stay away from stuff that is deep fried, mainly due to food hangover.

My biggest suggestion is watching how much alcohol you drink (if you do). Drinking to much always leads to a bunch of different bad choices, food and other wise, as well as a crappy tomorrow.

Another suggestion is to MOVE. When we go on vacation we look up all the outdoor activities we can find and do them. Lots of walking, hiking, biking, kayaking, paddle boating and so on. If you are moving during the day, you will be less likely to feel bad about what you eat, and if you have a plan to stay moving the next day, you may be less likely to drink to much the night before.

You only get one life, ENJOY IT.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    My last vacation I did an hour of cardio at the gym associated to the hotel every morning to win back 600 cals a day. We were eating out every day. While it is not terribly accurate, MFP has a lot of restaurant dishes (ie Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict, Thai Papaya Salad, etc) so I could approximately log my restaurant meals. I didn't make a big fuss about what I was eating or drinking but still managed to log diner meals, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Italian and even continued to lose weight.