Gave up alcohol all together...

Options
2»

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Calories in alcohol are not that significant depending on the drink. A simple shot is roughly 70 calories.

The problems with alcohol are:

1. The sugary drinks that pack the calories with mixers. Solution: Simple alcohol + soda water or diet coke
    2. Excessive drinks. Even if you have 70 calorie drinks, having 10 of them means 700 calories! Solution: Drink less.
    3. Late night drunken Denny's. No need to explain.
    4. Alcohol interferes with the ability to enter REM sleep. Lack of sleep/bad sleep can stall weight loss.
    You forgot:
    5. Hangover food. Usually disgusting carb and fat-loaded cr*p.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    If you like to drink; include the calories as part of your weight loss. It's not something you plan to give up altogether so you should track your drinking calories and be aware of how much you are taking in.

Just avoid the fruity sugar crap.

You want drinks with the most calories from alcohol, not simple sugars.

Miller light is tops for beer; I think.
    Vodka soda with a lime (or zero calorie redbull, however I don't recommend a redbull fueled bender)
    Wiskey and diet coke (avoid spiced/flavored rum/vodka; tons of sugar)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Drinking is not all that bad if you don't combine it with unhealthy food. But if you do drink, stay away from carbs on those days. Below is a good article.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I went from a heavy drinker to an occasional drinker trying to lose weight. When I do drink now, I'll either get an ultralight beer (bud select 55, mgd 64, etc) or go with white rum and diet coke. Tastes like cough syrup. But fortunately, I like cough syrup.
    I'll have to say, this made me laugh.

/I Did/do the same thing...
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Halloween weekend... umm yes you should definitely be drinking.. Go out and have fun your in college.. just don't order pizza after bar time or food.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of scotch. On the rocks.... you'll be fine!
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be mean but if you take a couple shots before going out, then you have not quit drinking all together since going back to school. I would suggest vodka, rum or whiskey with diet soda. Not many calories, no carbs, etc. You just have to be honest and add it to your food diary so you can see what it's doing to your daily calorie goal!! I still drink some on the weekends and it doesn't seem to affect me unless it's beer...........then I see a small gain that takes 2-3 days to get rid of!! All in moderation! You will be fine. Just don't over do it!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just here to suggest a tasty low cal cocktail - flavored vodka (raspberry is great), seltzer, wedge of lime - about 70 calories.