Help!

Options
I really need something new and delicious to do with boneless, skinless chicken breasts before my family rebels! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have lots of mushrooms, anything that might use them with the chicken?

Replies

• mistyreed82
    Options
    i have been doing an Italian Grilled chicken a lot lately. You can actually use this on any meat, we like to use pork.

You spray your skillet with non-stick cooking spray (0 calories), then in a bowl mix 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (the only thing in this with calories or anything else) then mix in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon of garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper, then microwave the mixture for 1 minute. Once you do that you can dip your chicken (or pork) in it (coat evenly) then cook until done.

It tastes amazing and is a great alternative to plain chicken/pork. Add some steamed veggies or you can take all the mushrooms you have and cook them in a skillet w/ a TINY bit of extra virgin olive oil, and add some soy sauce to them. YUMMY!!! Good luck hope you enjoy!!! :0)
  • ting001
    ting001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Was feeling the same way yesterday. I made chicken Gyros. Whole wheat pitas, grilled chicken, tomato, spinach, onion. Made the sauce out of non fat plain yogurt with chopped cucumber. Yum! The chicken had a Greek marinade.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    chicken marsala uses mushrooms

4 chicken cutlets
    2 T flour
    2 T butter
    2 cups mushrooms, sliced
    3/4 cup Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine
    1/4 cup water
    2 T. fresh parsley
    1/4 tsp rosemary

pound chicken until thin
    dredge in flour
    melt butter and saute mushrooms over medium heat until browned, 10 minutes
    remove and set aside
    add chicket to skillet and cook, 4 minutes on each side
    remove to platter
    return mushroom to pan, stir in marsala, water, parsley and rosemary
    heat and pour over chicken
    Serves 4
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been using only boneless skinless chicken breast for the last 10 years (mainly because cooking chicken on the bone makes me sick for some reason) but there are lots of ways you can cook it. I use in place of any recipe that calls for chicken. add some extra flavor by adding broth or bullion (just be careful of the sodium)

toss it in a pot with water, bullion or broth, veggies and pasta or rice (I like to cook my pasta/rice separately) and you have chicken noodle or chicken with rice

cook it then toss spaghetti sauce on top (optional, simmer with 1/2-1 cup white zinfandel for minimum 15 minutes) and serve with whole wheat pasta

cook it then add sweet and sour sauce (I like to add extra pineapple to the sauce) let simmer for a few minutes then serve on top of brown or white rice

These are all easy recipes but if you look for free recipes you can find many more
  • dumbfox
    dumbfox Posts: 13
    Options
    i used this recipe last week. I found it on allrecipes.com and it was pretty good. I watch my sodium so I added Mrs. Dash instead of the salt and low sodium chicken broth, and no brandy in my house so I used apple juice. I also added garlic and some thyme and marjoram. Being the lazy cook that I am, I put it in the crockpot after I had sauteed the veggies and browned the chicken, for about 8 hours on low. Served over whole grain egg noodles.

Chicken Diane

Ingredients:
    2 small onions, chopped
    1 pound fresh mushrooms
    8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika

2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    2 teaspoons dried parsley
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup brandy
    2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard

Directions:
    1. Saute onions and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove onion/mushroom mixture from skillet and reserve; add chicken breasts to skillet. Saute for 4 minutes, then turn over and add mushroom mixture on top.
    2. In a small bowl mix salt, pepper, paprika, chives and parsley together then sprinkle mixture over chicken. In a medium bowl combine the broth, brandy and mustard and blend together. Pour over chicken, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (no longer pink inside).

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 236

* Total Fat: 2.4g
    * Cholesterol: 92mg
    * Sodium: 520mg
    * Total Carbs: 6.6g
    * Dietary Fiber: 1.4g
    * Protein: 38.2g
  • mtfisherwoman
    Options
    Thank You Everyone!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Pizza! Your family will go gaga.

HOMEMADE SUPREMELY AWESOME PIZZA

You can either buy your crust, or make this low sodium one I found:
    2 t Active dry yeast
    3 1/2 c Bread Flour
    1 1/2 c Water
    2 t Honey
    2 T Olive Oil

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and process on dough cycle. Turn out the dough onto a floured board. At this point you may form the pizzas, or refrigerate the dough for several hours, well wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. (Although a refrigerator rest is not necessary, it makes the dough easier to handle.) Makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas, or two 10-inch thick-crust pizzas. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Top as desired and return to oven until cheese is melted and crust browned, about 15 minutes total.

You can also buy a pre-made crust and procede with the following recipe:

1 Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy Crust (got ours at walmart), or use the crust recipe above
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 can sliced, pitted olives, rinsed
    1 sweet onion
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Can Pizza Sauce (also got from Walmart, check labels for lowest sodium one!)
    1 pack fresh sliced mushrooms (available in produce dept)
    1 bag shredded cheese (also check sodium-- tillamook seems to be the best)
    1 can pineapple
    (You can also add your chicken)

Lay crust on baking sheet. Sauce lightly. Measure 1 cup cheese & sprinkle. Pile up all the yummy things! Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake as directed on crust package.

Prep time for premade crust: 5 mins
    Calorie damage: 700 cals for HALF the pizza! ZOW! Amazing, right? The sodium on this one is a little high, but a real treat. You won't want to get take out again (we sure don't!)
    The low sodium crust is higher in cals, but has 25% less sodium.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Chicken with Pineapple-Mandarin Ginger sauce

You will need:

Chicken Breast
    1 (8 oz) can pineapple chunks in juice
    1 (10 - 15oz) can mandarin oranges in juice
    2 tsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp ginger
    2 tsp soy sauce

Dice chicken breast and brown in large pan. Mix all ingredients in pan and cook over medium heat until thick (approx 5 minutes) serve over rice.

The chicken with sauce has:

Calories 250
    Carbs 16g
    Protein 31g
    Fat 6g
    Sat Fat 2g
    Cholesterol 85g
    Sodium 220g
    Fiber 1g

It's really good. I got this recipe from a cookbook that I got from a nutritionist! I hope you're family enjoys it as much as mine does! You could even add other veggies to this like broccoli and carrots... YUM!!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I threw together a chicken cheese tortellini a couple nights ago. It wasn't supremely low calorie & the sodium was a little more than I'd like but you can alter that by using fresh diced tomatoes instead of pasta sauce (which is what I'm planning to do next time).

So,
    1 19oz bag of frozen cheese tortellini (5 servings @ 230 cals/serving)
    1 medium onion
    8 oz package of mushrooms (I had whole baby bellas that I quartered)
    1/2 jar pasta sauce (tomato based -- I'm just going to use a couple of diced tomatoes next time instead)
    couple cloves of garlic to taste
    a few fresh basil leaves (you can use jarred or dry, too)
    1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast

Dice the onion. Cube the chicken breasts. Spray a pan with olive oil spray (it's not really 0 calorie like the label says, folks :wink: but it's a good way to get an even coating using less olive oil), set your burner heat to medium & saute the onion with a pinch of salt. Add the chicken and continue cooking.
    Meanwhile, set a pot of water on to boil for the tortellini and quarter (or slice) the mushrooms and mince the garlic cloves.
    Add the garlic to the onion & chicken.
    When your water begins to boil, add the tortellini & cook for a few minutes as directed on package (until the tortellini float).
    Add the mushrooms to the pan with the onions, chicken, and garlic.
    Add 1/2 a jar of the pasta sauce (or add the diced tomatoes) and the basil to the same pan and stir for a minute or two.
    Drain the tortellini & add to the pan with the sauce & mix. Allow to cook for a couple minutes.

And you're done. 1/4th of this (a *big* portion) has 540 calories. 1/6th (still a generous portion) has about 360. Of course, this will vary depending on which pasta sauce you use, the size of your onion, the actual nutrition info of the tortellini you use, etc. If you use fresh tomatoes instead, it will be lower. Probably be good with some spinach to bulk up the serving size & keep the calories low.

Anyway, it was pretty tasty. I love cheese tortellini & everyone always makes tortellini alfredo which, of course, is in no way low calorie or low fat. And if you try to make it low calorie/low fat it's disgusting. :laugh: So, this is a nice way to still be able to eat something I love.
  • KariandCo
    Options
    Ebkins - that sounds REALLY good... what's the serving size on the chicken with sauce? Thx ~
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Just remembered another easy recipe

HAWAIIAN HAYSTACKS

1 lb chicken
    1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken, your choice)
    1.5 cup rice
    1/2 cup la choy crunchy noodles
    1 cup cheese
    1 can pineapples

Chop up chicken, toss in pan with olive oil. Cook through. Add cream of soup. Cook rice as directed on packaging (Minute Rice is pretty much equal parts water & equal parts rice). Dish up rice on to plates. Top with chicken & soup mixture. Add pineapples, cheese, and crunchy noodles. ENJOY!
  • dumbfox
    dumbfox Posts: 13
    Options
    Ebkins - That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to make this tomorrow night.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    After you cook it (roasted or just cooked in a pan until done) you can...

You can cut it up into slices and add taco or fajita seasoning for chicken fajitas (with tortillas, lettuce, cheese, tomato, salsa, olives, sour cream, avocado, or whatever you like on your fajitas). They even make low sodium taco seasoning, if you're watching your sodium.

Shred it with a fork and add bbq sauce and eat on a bun, roll, toast, or plain. I like this with a baked sweet potato, corn, green beans, or baked beans. Yum!

Cut it into cubes and dump it into a can of black beans with some salsa and whatever spices you like for an awesome bowl of chicken and black bean soup.

Cut it into cubes, stir together with a can of cream of whatever soup (no liquid, just the condensed soup), a bag of frozen mixed veggies, and eat with biscuits, reduced fat crescent rolls or bread for a healthy chicken pot pie.

Shred it with a fork and mix with whatever mayo substitute you like and pickle relish for chicken salad. Or mayo substitute, small chunks of apples, grapes cut in half, and a few chopped up walnuts for a very fancy Waldorf chicken salad. I've had this one with poppy seeds in it, for a super fancy chicken salad. I enjoy my chicken salad as a sandwich, but you could also eat it on top of a garden salad instead of dressing or with a light vinaigrette.

I don't eat a whole lot of red meat, so we get creative with chicken around my house. Don't forget ground turkey too! You can substitute it in anything you would use ground beef.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    You can also make some pretty righteous stir fry with it! You just need chicken, rice, stir fry veggies, duck sauce, and crunchy chow mein noodles. It's one of my faves!