Walking as only exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Walking is mostly what I'm doing, I do some weight training but not enough to cause any weight loss. So I've lost 30 pounds just from walking..

In April I found it hard to walk for more than 40 minutes. This week I was on vacation in New York and walked for over 4 hours non-stop, going faster than most of the other pedestrians. However the body gets used to it, and my weight loss has slowed down.
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    Up until 2012, I spent 2 years in bed, per doctor's orders. I walk, and that's pretty much the only exercise I get, except for the occasional session of yoga. :) I lose just fine.
  • tmbf57
    tmbf57 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and great tips everyone!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You can, but eventually you are going to get fit, and have to walk longer and longer distances just to keep the same calorie burn as before.

I personally reccomend a mix of walking and strength training.. since strength training helps retain lean muscle mass, and keeps your metabolsim up.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    On July 25, 2012, I was 478 pounds.
    On October 25, 2012, I am 418 pounds.
    So I've lost 60 pounds in 3 months.
    I "only" walk.
    Lately, I have been wanting to jog. I haven't jogged in about 15 years, but I am scared of what it would do to my knees and ankles at this weight.
    Yesterday, I incorporated five "jog steps" into my walk. It felt incredible to have both of my feet off of the ground at the same time.
    Today, I might try six "jog steps" while I walk.
    When I started, I could only cover 1/4 mile at around 1mph.
    Now, I do 60 to 90 minutes of walking 6 days per week at around 3.35 mph average, covering 3-5 miles of distance.
    So, yeah, I guess I am a believer in "only" walking.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    There are two issues to think of apart from your body getting more efficient in walking and losing less calories.

1. Reduced burn as your weight drops. If I go for a walk today I'm carrying 30lbs less than April, so I burn less calories for the same walk, unless I carry a backpack with 30 pounds of rocks - so I have to walk for a longer time or try to walk faster.

2.Available time. Right now it's hard to find more than 1 hour a day when I can walk.[I'm on call 16 hours a day, and can't be away from my home office a lot of the time]. Some days I can get 2 hours- but its random. So maybe I have to find something that burns faster then walking and add more strenous weight workouts. I can't run outside - I have an ankle injury that puts my at risk - I do have a treadmill that hasn't been used for years and may have to push/motivate myself to try low impact jogging on it. I am motivated for outside walking, treadmills make me cringe. I do see people that are doing over 40,000 steps a day - no idea how you find that time for that since my max was 20,000, and I have to push to find the time for 10,000.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great form of exercise....if that's what you can do at the time, do it! It's a hell of a lot better than doing nothing. I know several people who have lost 50+ lbs by just walking. Losing weight is 85% diet, 15% exercise, IMO.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than none at all...you are lapping everyone on the couch!
  • mercymarque
    Options
    walking at a fast pace will help. You don't have to join a gym. In terms of zumba you can buy the dvd and do it in the privacy of your own home.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and I walk for 20 minutes 4 times a week also at work on break and it has worked just fine for me. Your biggest thing will be your calorie intake so enjoy your journey
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! This helps me a lot. I have been struggling with the news that I am only allowed to walk. In the past I was working out like crazy, but my knees are not good and Swimming or walking is my only option for now.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise and I met my goal weight. I did find that after I lost a substantial amount of weight I had more energy to start doing things like Zumba and boxing, but walking and hiking are always my go-to forms of exercise. Do what works for you!

Everyone is on here for difference reasons. Some people are athletes training for marathons or weight-lifting competitions. It doesn't really make sense for me to compare my food and exercise diary to theirs. If you just want to get healthy, I think it's perfectly reasonable to walk.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Walking is generally something you can do through old age.. if you keep up with it. I walk in my neighborhood for about an hour to hour and half every day .. 5.5 - 6 miles some days. Lots of steep inclines where I live so I feel like I'm pushing myself up some of the hills. When I walk, I enjoy seeing elderly couples or individuals walking. I think it's cute to see "grandma" walking with earbuds in .. LOL Some of these people are well into their 70s.

I also see lots of young folks too .. running, jogging.. walking their dogs, etc. Walking most certainly can be the only exercise you do in conjunction with decreased calorie intake to lose weight!

I have to tell you .. I feel so much more energized now that I've started walking. I walk early in the morning hours.. just after dawn. I prefer walking early as I end up having so much energy for the whole day! Really amazing!

Once you get into the habit of walking daily .. for however long you can - 20-30 minutes .. you'll find you'll want to push yourself longer and further.. and even maybe consider jogging at some point. You'll find yourself making the time - because you feel better and become more motivated to do more. :flowerforyou:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Its hard to maintain lean mass on a cut with only walking.
    Ive seen 100s of fat retail managers and they walk about 16k steps a day.
    Lift some type of weight or have some resistance work and youll do fine.
    Even 30 mins 3x a week is better than none.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Due to a couple serious neck/back injuries, and a bad knee, walking is one of the few things that I feel comfortably safe doing , exercise -wise.

Yes, you can lose weight "just" walking. Do it often, push yourself, even if that means just going five minutes longer than you did yesterday, and increase your speed and distance over time.

You will burn more calories and tone up.

Obviously, it's not going to make you super strong or add giant muscles, but it does help weight loss and fitness.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main workout. I jack up the incline on the treadmill and walk just fast enough to make it uncomfortable to talk. I lost weight this way, but to get firm and tone I had to add strength training. I keep it military and do push ups and sit ups as well as some floor exercises for my butt and thighs.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    95% of my exercise is walking. I walk 90-150 min 3 days a week or more I have lost 13 LBS since Sept 6.
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Pick up some Leslie Sansone videos (walk away the pounds, etc) from Walmart. I lost my first 32lbs just walking outside and doing Leslie Sansone video's in my living room, and of course changing my diet. Her video's are not high impact but will have you sweating.