Protein??

Options
Hi not long been on this and finding it great help so far. My question is I have noticed I tend to eat a little over the protein amount allocated daily to me, but never use all the fat or carbs?? Is this good or bad?? I do strength training as well as cardio so try to keep my diet varied!!

Any advice??

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Same here - no problem so long as it is not excessively over. You need sufficient protein to rebuild tired muscles if you have been training - especially resistance training including weights but also bodyweight exercises. Having enough protein also staves off hunger in my experience. I find Carbs and Fats usually are a little on the low side - just make sure you are getting enough to fuel your new body.

Oh and - Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you're strength training then you need a lot of protein to help fuel and repair your muscles. Ignore mfp's guidelines. I try to aim between 100 and 150g a day. As the other poster said it will also help with hunger. The more protein you have the less hungry you are, therefore less snacking. Protein is goooood!
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Same here and excellent reply.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    MFP Protein goals are pretty low to begin with, you may consider raising it

Think of it as a goal not a limit
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    MFP uses a very low percentage of your calories for protein, which if you're lifting is definitely not enough. However, you can change your goals!!

Go to My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom and you will be able to adjust what percentages you want to come from carbs, fat and protein. Personally I set mine at 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein, and it works well for me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Great question. I was wondering the same thing because I'm always over on protein. I think I should reset my goals. How did you come up with 40-30-30?
  • missylawrie
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

Thankyou all so much for your replies! I feel alot better now, I must admit my personal trainer keeps banging on about protein but them MFP confused me somewhat!! I am not a big meat fan but really trying to get the protein in as I do think it helps curb hunger and I don't get the whole bloated, fatigue feeling!!!

I am def going to use the amount they suggest as a goal rather than limit in regards to the protein!

Love this site and its community for the help, thanks guys !!!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Great question. I was wondering the same thing because I'm always over on protein. I think I should reset my goals. How did you come up with 40-30-30?

I decided to try it after a lot of people who lift recommended getting at least 30% of calories from protein; a lot of people recommended it so I figured it was worth a shot :)
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    One guideline that I've been told repeatedly, and then reinforced by my personal trainer, is to try to hit 1g of protein per lb. of body weight.

150 pounds, 150 grams.

I really struggle to hit it, but I'm getting closer every day! :)
  • sunshine_gem
    Options
    I'm not a huge meat eater myself but there's ways around it. Try eating cottage cheese, eggs and get a good greek yoghurt with a high protein content. I find that total is the best. And there's nothing wrong with protein powders to bump it up too. You can mix it with water, milk or blend it in with a smoothie. Or blend it in with the greek yoghurt to flavour it.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you're strength training then you need a lot of protein to help fuel and repair your muscles. Ignore mfp's guidelines. I try to aim between 100 and 150g a day. As the other poster said it will also help with hunger. The more protein you have the less hungry you are, therefore less snacking. Protein is goooood!

This.
  • sunshine_gem
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

Thankyou all so much for your replies! I feel alot better now, I must admit my personal trainer keeps banging on about protein but them MFP confused me somewhat!! I am not a big meat fan but really trying to get the protein in as I do think it helps curb hunger and I don't get the whole bloated, fatigue feeling!!!

I am def going to use the amount they suggest as a goal rather than limit in regards to the protein!

Love this site and its community for the help, thanks guys !!!

Some people find that cutting carbs and grains can help reduce bloating. It might be something else but there's nothing wrong with experimenting to see if that's the issue. Play around with some stuff and see if there's something you're intolerant too. It could help :-)
  • allie_girl
    Options
    Hi not long been on this and finding it great help so far. My question is I have noticed I tend to eat a little over the protein amount allocated daily to me, but never use all the fat or carbs?? Is this good or bad?? I do strength training as well as cardio so try to keep my diet varied!!

Any advice??

You probably want more then the recommended protein! Most people who lift and do intense exercise should have 1 gram per body weight. I aim for a 40/40/20 split. 40 protein, 40 carbs, 20 fats. I am thinking of 40/30/30 now thought, increasing fat, decrease carbs, but we will see. Good luck girl, find what works for you.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have read that the best fast-fat-loss macro combination is 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat, which is what I have been eating at for a couple weeks. Realistically, I am getting more like 45% protein, 35% carbs, 20% fat, but that is really working for me.

Totally agree with everyone who said MFP tends to set the protein too low, protein is the one you want to amp up if you're trying to lose body fat.

I couldn't hit that 50% mark at all without supplementing with a protein powder. Every morning, I put a cup of almond milk in the blender with half a cup of fruit and 2 scoops of Bluebonnet chocolate protein powder and that gives me over 50g protein to start my day.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I decided to try it after a lot of people who lift recommended getting at least 30% of calories from protein; a lot of people recommended it so I figured it was worth a shot :)

Thanks!