Are carbs really that bad?

Options
i am just wondering if i should cut down on carbs as lots of people say they are the most fattening thing around.
Is this true?

Replies

• MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    Carbs should not be cut out entirely, because the brain needs carbs to function. I find that if I eat too many carbs though, I gain weight. I did some research online and found that the brain needs at least 120g of carbs to function. So this is what I eat. On the days I exercise I'll have between 140-150g of carbs. I've tried eating alot more carbs than that but didn't see a weight loss.
  • SouthernMomma25
    Options
    Well yes and no. If you eat the wrong kinda of carbs or go over what you should be eating during the day it turns into fat. But you need carbs for energy. Whole wheat bread, brown rice, and wheat noddles are a good source. As long as you are watching calories and staying under what you need for carbs you should be fine no matter what kind you eat.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    No, you don't want to cut down on carbs. Carbs are found in healthy foods as well as unhealthy. All vegetables and fruits have carbs, and so do pastas and breads.

What you want to do is find a nice balance of carbs, fats and proteins. You want your carbs to come from healthy, nutritious foods. This doesn't mean you have to turn into a rabbit, eating only salads, but you should try to to include lots of veggies and fruit and only have the "heavy" (and I'm just using that word as an adjective, so to speak) carbs like breads and pastas once in a while.
  • ninaweber0516
    ninaweber0516 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess it may just depend on how your body uses up those carbs, but I can personally say that carbs aren't as bad as people say. Losing weight without carbs is an unpleasant experience for me and a sure way for my diet to fail. In college I lost about 20 pounds having a plate of spaghetti with marinara sauce almost every day for dinner. It's really just about reducing total daily calories, doesn't matter where those calories come from, but, I think it's a wise idea to balance those carbs with protein so your body can utilize them most efficiently. This is not to say that you should go and get all your carbs from cookies and candy. Carbs from whole grains can also help you feel fuller longer, but pasta and potatoes aren't gonna hurt you in moderation. Good luck, hope this helps!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 120g-180g carbs/day with a 1200-1400 calorie diet depending on how much I exercise. There are good carbs and not as good carbs so you should try eating more of the good ones (whole grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruits, etc) and less of the not so good ones (which often come in the form of overly processed breads and baked goods).
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...carbs... people say they are the most fattening thing around...

To clear up the misconception:
    A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate. It cannot be turned into fat. They are two completely different types of molecules. So you're first warning sign that somebody doesn't know what they're talking about it is when you hear anything like fat turns into muscle or carbs turn into fat.

You need carbs in your diet and the ones that are the healthiest are the least processed ones. If it comes straight out of the ground, i.e. a fruit or a vegetable, you want it. If it is turned into a bread or pasta--anything "enriched" or "bleached"--you can do without. If you like bread and pasta, just make smart choices: whole grains (not the same as whole wheat) and moderate portions.

Best of luck!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I do much better eating plenty of carbs — good carbs. When I don't get enough, my weight loss actually stalls AND I feel lousy, so I'm a fan of eating good carbs, lean proteins, and very little sugar and fat.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's kind of different from person to person. My body seems to burn carbohydrates very well (whereas meats just confuse the crap out of it). I worked at a pizza joint once, had spaghetti and breadsticks every day I clocked in, and lost weight while I was at it. So if you don't find them to be problematic for you, I'd say watch the sugars (of course), but don't worry about your complex, bready carbs.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi Buddy!

I have heard from alot of people that if you cut carbs completely, when you start to eat them again they get stored as fat! Not sure how true it is enough to get me to eat some carbs.

Jayne x
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    hi Jaycee!

I am kinda tempted to reduce my carbs as much as possible, because i KNOW that as soon as i eat either pasta, bread or potatoes, my stomach bloats up within 30 mins of eating it.
    i am not sure if thats normal, but its very uncomfortable!

i think maybe having some carbs in the morning (like half a piece of toast) would be ok, just beforei go to the gym.. but i am going to give it a go cutting out carbs, and see if i actually lose weight next week!
  • christinacherrelle
    christinacherrelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ...carbs... people say they are the most fattening thing around...

To clear up the misconception:
    A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate. It cannot be turned into fat. They are two completely different types of molecules. So you're first warning sign that somebody doesn't know what they're talking about it is when you hear anything like fat turns into muscle or carbs turn into fat.

You need carbs in your diet and the ones that are the healthiest are the least processed ones. If it comes straight out of the ground, i.e. a fruit or a vegetable, you want it. If it is turned into a bread or pasta--anything "enriched" or "bleached"--you can do without. If you like bread and pasta, just make smart choices: whole grains (not the same as whole wheat) and moderate portions.

Best of luck!

I completely agree with this. A calorie is a calorie. Obviously you want to choose foods that are good for you (no high fructose, etc) but I've never cut down on any one food group and have managed to lose 40 pounds and keep it off.