How Do I Get Started In Strength Training

Any have any recommendations on how I can get started in strength training. I am looking for something like a book, website, youtube channel or whatever that can pretty give me a program that I can work on I would say about 3x a week something that is basic and not too complicated where I would burn myself out.

I do have a gym membership at 24 hour fitness so I will have access to equipment and in all the time I had the membership I mostly ignored the strength training areas and focused primarily on cardio but looking to add some weights or body exercises anything you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Try bodybuilding.com. its got tons of good info, workout videos etc.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    New Rules of Lifting is always a good read!

There's a TON of information out there....and welcome to Lifting! :D

I'm an addict.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Try bodybuilding.com. its got tons of good info, workout videos etc.

I second this! (and third and fourth - however much weight my vote gets)
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    agreed new rules of lifting is great. Thats how i got started and im addicted to lifting. BodyBuilding.com is also great. I loved having the website to look at at home and the book to have with me at the gym my first few times.
  • Check out aworkoutroutine.com!! Great website with a LOT of no B.S. info. You wll not be disappointed. The thing that makes it stand out from other (like bodybuilding.com) is the guy isn't trying to sell you a bunch of ****. He just dispenses advice and knowledge. He has a lot of followers and is well respected. CHECK IT OUT. Anther good one is Scooby's Workshop.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    ^^^This^^^
    or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program. Real basic and real easy to pack on the muscle.
    Just be careful of all of the BS out there. Its nothing but garbage. Stick to the basics.
  • If you've not done weight training in the past, ask the gym for an orientation. They should take you around and show you how to set up / use the equipment. If you are able to, you might also see if one of their trainers would meet with you once or twice to help you create your own workout that you can do on your own. Once you get the hang of it, you can start putting together your own programs with the knowledge that you are using proper form and are not neglecting anything (for example, most people fail to put any balance component into their strength training, which is a huge mistake. Even if it's just one or two single leg exercises, the payoff in functional living as you get older will be huge!).
  • Agreed, lots of good stuff out there. Bodybuilding.com remains one of my persistent references.

For overall build, I used the old standby Reg Park routines, 5x5 version (5 sets of 5 reps, add 5 lbs the next session if you complete all reps/sets). They consist of complex movements with free weights; squats, deadlifts, rows, benchpresses, dips, standing presses (although standing presses could be risky, you can use alternate routines there).

I end up going through a routine in an hour, 3x week. Protein before and after the workout, usually the shakes. Keep the cardio in to keep/enhance definition. Best time to start strength training is after you reach your goal weight (or your abs show and you are slim); otherwise you end up bulking up the belly without trimming it.

There is also something called Max Contraction which I used for awhile; it does build volume, but I've found that it's better as a finishing move after doing the Reg Park routines.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/reg-park-beginner-workout.html

http://www.maxcontraction.com/what.htm

Good luck in your training!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    http://www.startingstrength.com , the answer is in the name of the website!
  • I recommend "Thinner Leaner Stronger" for Men by Michael Matthews for starters.
  • Try bodybuilding.com. its got tons of good info, workout videos etc.

I found a specific program for myself there as well... in my second week :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Looks like a lot of good programs listed here. Great you got a gym membership. Lifting is AWESOME! Have fun!!!!!
  • Malozing0809
    Malozing0809 Posts: 71 Member
    Check out the book Starting Strength.
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    bump
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I like everyone's suggestions since I'm also still getting started in strength training. I would also suggest getting a trainer for even just one session just so you can learn good form. If you are going to do a squat or deadlift.... or anything, might as well make darn sure you are doing it right. Seeing it on Youtube and then having someone there to correct your form so you are aware of what your body should be doing and how it should feel are two completely different things.

Best of luck though! :)
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    well yea read stuff, but until then you could do like 3 sets of 10 on like a bunch of machines. just remember to give yourself rest days, and eat lots of protein. like mon,wed,fri = upper body tues, thurs = lower body. 150-200+g of protein a day.
  • Starting strength by Mark Rippetoe is always a good bet. All the good S&C coaches I know swear by this for beginers

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738