Resistance/Strength training you can fit into a day?

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
Having lost 25 pounds, I now know the meaning of the phrase 'skinny fat'. I used to hate it because it sounded like a snobby think people who worked out a lot would say to snark at people who didn't out.

I was wrong. Definitely wrong. I've lost weight. I've gained/maintained muscle through serious very brisk walking. But my thighs, butt, and lower abdomen are flabby - lots of space that used to be fat is now empty, but it isn't solid tight muscle either. I need to work out.

I cannot go to the gym - it's both time and temperament. I exercise now by walking to and from work, at lunch, and after dinner (4+ mph measured). I fit in a lot of exercise by doing stairs, etc. during the day.

Any suggestions for ab or resistance exercises I can do during the day in small snatches? I have my own office with a standing desk. I can do some planks. Other thoughts? Even when I was dancing, I did all my non-class barre exercises just around the house in small numbers.

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Don't know anything about it but have read people referring to a programme called something like your body is your gym. Might be worth checking out. Try to search for it here and google it.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am much like you. I am also doing ball passes for my abs on breaks. Basically one of those big Swedish balls that you pass between your feet and hands. Also put your back on the ball and crunch from side to side. Do in sets with planks throughout the day. I would imagine it has to help somewhat (still have a lot over my stomach so hard to tell but it helps my back feel stronger).
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I CAN TOTALLY HELP!!!!! I train with mostly body weight and can get a kick butt workout in in 1/2 hour or less. :)))
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stairs...everywhere you go. Take the stairs.. Don't step on an elevator. Believe me, it will tone you up
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Both Fitnessblender and hasfit.com have free strength training workout video's. Some even as short as 5 minutes.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    kettle bell exercises. ( do a tabata routine which only takes 4 mins at a time)
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

Nerd Fitness bodyweight program, GREAT place to start :)
  • c53204
    c53204 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What age are you. I'm 56 and walk up to 10 miles a day - and feel I could walk forever at 15min miles. I also do 30 sit-ups, 30 pushups and some other strength stuff, around 30min a day.

Yet parts of my arms, lower stomach and inside my thighs at the top still have a little flab. I put it down to my age.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Press ups, sit ups, dips, squats and lunges etc - basic body weight exercises. You may have to work up to doing some of these, but they are basic exercises for which you need to no special equipment. I recommend that you make sure that you are doing these exercises correctly as bad form can cause injury, and advise you do them in front of a mirror. Swimming is also good.

Good luck.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of options in bodyweight training. Rather than repeat what is already posted elsewhere just go to the groups section and search for bodyweight and you will find there is a bodyweight training group. A great book on bodyweight training is You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren, and there is an android app that you can purchase that uses the techniques he outlines in the book.
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hear ya on the "skinny fat" thing! Same here. I am doing strength training 3X / week and cardio every other day (with one day off/week) and the flabby bits are not shrinking very quickly.

Along with the planks I'm sure you can fit in a few sets of crunches, maybe some pushups, leg lifts (side, back, straight, bent at the knee, all of them. Whatever helps. Your walking is already excellent; I have done that alone (back in 2009, with dieting) with excellent results. Keep going!
  • nxd10
    Options
    I am much like you. I am also doing ball passes for my abs on breaks. Basically one of those big Swedish balls that you pass between your feet and hands. Also put your back on the ball and crunch from side to side. Do in sets with planks throughout the day. I would imagine it has to help somewhat (still have a lot over my stomach so hard to tell but it helps my back feel stronger).

Great idea. With a big or small ball? I have a really big one.

So many good ideas from all you. Thanks!
  • nxd10
    Options
    Stairs...everywhere you go. Take the stairs.. Don't step on an elevator. Believe me, it will tone you up

You are so right. I never, every take stairs. Even for 5 floors. Good for your lungs too.
  • nxd10
    Options
    What age are you. I'm 56 and walk up to 10 miles a day - and feel I could walk forever at 15min miles. I also do 30 sit-ups, 30 pushups and some other strength stuff, around 30min a day.

Yet parts of my arms, lower stomach and inside my thighs at the top still have a little flab. I put it down to my age.

I'm 53. My arms and thighs have tightened up amazingly with walking really, really fast. I keep reaching down and being surprised by remembering how my body USED to feel when I was young.

What is really bugging me is my lower abdomen. When I had more weight I had nice, firm stomach, although it was bigger than it should be. Now that I've lost it makes a roll because there isn't fat under the skin any more. Not a flap of skin - my skin is coming back fine - but a roll because the muscles aren't yet tightened up enough to hold everything together.

UGH!

I am also finding that just really tightening up my muscles - I think of it as stomach kegels - has been helpful. I do it while driving or sitting at the computer. I know it works because it makes my muscles really tired after around 10 minutes.
  • nxd10
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

Nerd Fitness bodyweight program, GREAT place to start :)

Okay. Awesome.
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I CAN TOTALLY HELP!!!!! I train with mostly body weight and can get a kick butt workout in in 1/2 hour or less. :)))

^^^^ Will you please tell me what to do!! I'm going through the same exact thing! The lower abdomen fat is really beginning to depress me!!!! I'm on your FL, so feel free to message me with pointers.
    Thanks girl!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think bits and bobs of the odd crunch or plank is going to help skinny fat. People have to work really hard to make those kinds of changes.

Easy to fit strength in if you have weights at home, though. I'd invest in some adjustable dumbbells and do something like NROLFW or this
    http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6