Calories burned?

Options
Ok so some of y'all say that MFP estimates way high on your calories burned by exercise. The machine itself estimates way low because it doesn't consider things like weight or age. I just used an online calculator and it gave me a number between what the machine gave me and what MFP gives me for 35 minutes of elliptical at an average HR of 150 for a 233lb 24 year old female... but still FAR lower than MFP. Then again, MFP does not consider HR, and the online calculator does not consider the type of exercise done.

How am I supposed to know which one is right? I am debating getting one of those monitors that'll tell me, but I'm not sure how affordable they are. Till then... help?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing huge amounts of exercise that would require more fuel and eating those calories then the burn really isn't that important. Just log something to show you did the exercise and don't get hung up on the numbers.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Knowing a more accurate number would assist me in determining whether I should be eating back some (or all, or none) of those calories, considering I aim for 1200 a day and a lot of people believe that's too little if you're exercising. I'm not too worried about starvation mode or anything, but it's nice knowing that exercise can give me wiggle room on what I can eat.