Visceral Fat/Accelerated Fat Loss

Options
Hi I just wanted some advice about fat loss.

(I know there is no way to spot reduce fat) BUT I was wondering if there is any way I can decrease my body fat? My arms and legs are quite slender/muscular but my torso remains scarily large. (I have a very short torso - rips and hips almost touch - I'm an apple shaped figure).
I am concerned for my health having such a large amount of weight on my torso - but there is also a vanity aspect to this - it doesn't look too pleasant!

If you have any advice in regards to diet or exercise that I could do to reduce my overall body fat I would love to hear it.
(I've heard of women 'cutting' but I've no idea what that entails).

[I have completed 30S, Ripped in 30, Killer Buns and Thighs and just finishing Body Revolution. I also walk 5km at least 5 days a week].

Stats:
5'1
SW: 65-62kg
CW: 55kg (plateaued since July)
Chest: 35
Waist: 30
High Hip: 32.5
Low Hip: 36.5

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've done a bunch of cardio have you thought about lifting?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Drop the cardio and start heavy lifting. Combine that with a high protein diet and a moderate deficit (20% below TDEE) and eat some whole lean foods/fruits/veggies and it will help with fat loss. If you like to workout at home, try chalean extreme or the p90x series.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do the cardio workouts with 2kg weights and the resistance workouts with 2kg/4kg weights. My shoulders are really quite big because of this - I know women don't bulk up the same as men - but do you think going heavier will make my top half more bulky?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I do the cardio workouts with 2kg weights and the resistance workouts with 2kg/4kg weights. My shoulders are really quite big because of this - I know women don't bulk up the same as men - but do you think going heavier will make my top half more bulky?

absolutely not.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Drop the cardio and start heavy lifting. Combine that with a high protein diet and a moderate deficit (20% below TDEE) and eat some whole lean foods/fruits/veggies and it will help with fat loss. If you like to workout at home, try chalean extreme or the p90x series.

I second this, and you should be safe from bulking up much, if at all. The added lean muscle mass you will have will help to further torch any of those residual calories.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Not a chance. It's the best thing you can do for yourself, and exactly what you need to solve your problem.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that HIIT like hill sprints targets visceral fat best but who knows if that's actually true.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

When they are telling you start lifting they are talking about 20kg plus - you can jump around with those 2kg/4kg weights for the rest of your life and never see results

Read new rules of lifting for women or stronglifts 5x5
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice to start lifting heavy, slight deficit and keeping protein high, patience and don't look at the scales.
  • psuLemon
    Options

The only thing that bulks a woman is fat. Proof is in the below link. And she eats 3000-4000 calories in a day. This is what happens to women when they are serious lifters. Also, drop the 2/4kg stuff. You want to enough wait to fail around 6-10 reps or the max 15 reps. Both are just as effective for fat loss, but the lower reps is much better for explosive power, increasing strength and providing a good platform. High reps are good for some endurance, so you can feel free to mix them. If you like to workout at home like I do, then look into chalean extreme. It's a good program that does weights, endurance and HIIT.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have access to the gym university - (but I prefer to work out at home). If I go to the gym - where do I start? I've never lifted a weight in my life :/
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have access to the gym university - (but I prefer to work out at home). If I go to the gym - where do I start? I've never lifted a weight in my life :/

Google strong lift 5x5 or beginner lift 5x5. Or you can do the new rules of lifting for women.