1700 cals of Junk vs 1700cals of clean eating....

Options
Just curious what people think....I see a few diaries now and then, of people who eat out everyday. They eat crap for most of their meals, no fruit, no veggies, calorie laden beverages, skip other meals, but manage to stay within budget. Then, there are people who eat clean, and stay within their calorie budget.

Will the junk food junkie still lose weight?
Will the clean eater lose more than junk food junkie?

We all know that junk food can cause more health problems than just weight gain....So my question is: Is one calorie deficit better than the other?

BTW- I like to think of myself as somewhere in-between the junk food junkie, and a clean eater....lol....I just can't seem to give up ALL the junk food :) !

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Assuming aprox the same macro breakdown, the effects on weight of the 2 diets will virtually be identical.

edit: the reason people who eat 'clean' tend to have more success is because a lot of people have jack all clue how to properly calculate or understand calories. eat chips and drink pop all day with a big helping of pasta for supper, and you're eating 6000 calories a day without even realizing it. Take the same person and give them chicken and veggies and they are utterly stuffed as 2k a day and can't eat another bite. It's not that eating healthy made them lose weight, but that they are eaint a fraction as much calories for the same 'i'm full' feeling.

This point is proved over and over again in docs like fathead, or on blogs where people do 'twinkie' diets or fast food only diets, or junk food diets, and lose fat and improve their bloodwork while doing so.

The badness of food is VASTLY overrated, and not near enough attention placed onto proper exercise and calorie/macro control.

That said, avoid trans fats like the devil.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think that people eating junk food all day will still lose weight, as long as they are within the calorie range they need to be. Is it as healthy to get your calories from Big Macs and Snickers as it is to get it from whole, fresh foods? NO!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have a few different points to make about this.

First,I would suspect there are very few people that eat exclusively junk food so some of these extreme scenarios to me, are a bit silly.

But, having said that, energy balance will still determine weight loss.

See below:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    BTW- I like to think of myself as somewhere in-between the junk food junkie, and a clean eater....lol....I just can't seem to give up ALL the junk food :) !

Of course the "clean" diet would be better, but the key point is the portion I quoted above. "Eating nothing but junk" is a far cry from eating oreos once in a while.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not an "all-or-nothing" kind of person.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are we assuming the same macros here?
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    Wouldn't it be hard to get the same macros? Fat would be much higher I would think, if you ate fast food....

I guess I would have thought if you consume more fat, it would be harder to lose fat.....am I wrong?
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Nof if the fat is within your goal for the day, I think.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I suspect the junk food eaters (not the ones who go to the extreme) will probably have better results in the long term as it's easier to maintain in the long term.

For most of my weight loss, I had wine and chocolates throughout (only in the last few days I decided to calm it a bit as I'm upping my calories). It's what GOT me to this point. If I had to have only salads and super healthy food, I doubt that I would have endured...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    When I have a day where I eat out I find it's almost impossible to hit my protein target. I'll take a protein bar with me and some cheese strings to snack on, but add in a sandwich from a restaurant and even a stirfry or sushi or something fairly healthy (as far as restaurant options go) and my calorie goal is met without my protein goal being met.

It's okay to eat like that sometimes, but I know my body responds better when I at least hit my protein goal. I just let carbs and fat land where they will. I do eat junk food too... usually some stuff every day i.e. wine, sweets, salty snacks... but in moderation. Plus, I'm also not trying to lose more weight at this point and I'm finding it hard to hit my calorie target with perfectly clean food.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be hard to get the same macros? Fat would be much higher I would think, if you ate fast food....

I guess I would have thought if you consume more fat, it would be harder to lose fat.....am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.
  • surfmonkey17
    surfmonkey17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I personally find clean eating easier when trying to lose weight. When I first started trying to lose weight, I just dropped my calories thinking that was all I had to do. I failed miserably. I was eating 1500-1700 calories a day but I was starving all the time because 1500-1700 calories of junk is not a lot of food. I would stay within range for a few days but then have a day where I completely binged because I was so hungry. When I eat clean, some days I have trouble eating even 1200 calories because I feel so stuffed. I think those adopting a clean eating lifestyle will have much better success in the long run because they won't feel they are constantly depriving themselves.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Two schools of thought...
    First, there is more to health than the number on your scale if what you eat is causing another health issue its not good for your health.
    Second, man asked his doctor just before retirement, "Will I live to be one hundred?" Dr. asked him. "Do you smoke fine cigars, drink great wines and beer, drive fast cars, chase younger women, do extreme sports?" The man replied, "No." Dr. replied, "Why do you care?"
    You have to do what works for you. If I didn't want to be healthy and enjoy a more active lifestyle I wouldn't be on here... I don't want to die in front of a TV screen with my hand in a bag of chips...
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I suspect the junk food eaters (not the ones who go to the extreme) will probably have better results in the long term as it's easier to maintain in the long term.

For most of my weight loss, I had wine and chocolates throughout (only in the last few days I decided to calm it a bit as I'm upping my calories). It's what GOT me to this point. If I had to have only salads and super healthy food, I doubt that I would have endured...

I feel this way. You can't just jump off the deep end (well I can't. I'm sure there are people that can) and go from 0-60 in a day. I focus on changing one thing a week, but I need something sweet to keep me going.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I won't give up all the junk food either. Don't let anyone tell you you have to. Sure, you can if you want. Will you be healthier for it? That's debatable. Do what works for you. Eat foods you like at a modest deficit. You'll soon realize you're more satisfied when most of what you eat comes from healthy foods high in protein and fiber and with a good mix of healthy fat thrown in there for satiety. Drink water, exercise, and enjoy your life! If you are too restrictive, you'll have those binge days. If you allow yourself all types of foods in moderation, you'll be satisfied and able to continue this as a real lifestyle.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" has nothing to do with weight.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I don't intend on eating all junk food to lose weight, I realize this would be harmful to my health, whether my weight goes up or down. :tongue:

I was just curious how someone who eats fast food that is clearly high in fat, can still lose fat at the same rate as someone who eats the same amount of cals, with much lower fat.
    For example, I have a 1700 cal budget, if I ate an angus cheeseburger, large fry, and a snickers bar, I would have eaten apx 1500 cals, and 75 g of fat ( I did the research :happy: ) That would put me way over my fat Macros.

Just seems a bit confusing to me how someone could consume so much fat, but still lose fat....Just interested in the science behind this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes it would, which is why its not comparable BUT diatary fat =/= body fat. The main macros that make a difference to weight loss is protein as it has a higher TEF and carbs as they promote more water weight but on the flip side give more energy and therefore can increase TDEE indirectly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I don't intend on eating all junk food to lose weight, I realize this would be harmful to my health, whether my weight goes up or down. :tongue:

I was just curious how someone who eats fast food that is clearly high in fat, can still lose fat at the same rate as someone who eats the same amount of cals, with much lower fat.
    For example, I have a 1700 cal budget, if I ate an angus cheeseburger, large fry, and a snickers bar, I would have eaten apx 1500 cals, and 75 g of fat ( I did the research :happy: ) That would put me way over my fat Macros.

Just seems a bit confusing to me how someone could consume so much fat, but still lose fat....Just interested in the science behind this.

Dietary fat has nothing to do with body fat except in that it has calories.