A question on target Calorie intake

harrogate1978
harrogate1978 Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
My Target Calorie intake is 1390.
Does it matter what I eat as long as I am within the 1390? I know there are goals etc but I am still keeping under the maximum calorie intake.

Example.

If I ate 1390 calories of green leaves

or 1390 calories of chocolate bars

would I still lose weight on both of them?

Thanks

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    NO, but wouldn't that be nice!!! lol
    None of us would need to lose weight if that was the case!!

You should try and eat as clean or fat free as possible. But if you only eat salad all day, you aren't going to last very long!!!
    Try and eat a variety of foods & no take out!
    Get your carbs from fruit & veggies & whole grain bread, rice & pasta.
    Don't eat anything with white flour.... try and switch everything over to whole grains.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    It definitely matters how you get your calories. You would lose weight in either of the diets you described, but you would probably also die very quickly (under both of those diets).

For one thing, if you tried to get 1390 calories from nothing but chocolate bars, you would feel sick and probably also be hungry once the sickness passed, making life miserable and sticking to your calorie limit difficult. You'd probably also get constipation by the end of the second day. Similar effects if you just ate green leaves, though I guess you'd have a combination of hunger and bloatedness which would be frustrating. You would be very tired.

You would also be malnourished, and if you kept it up you'd probably die due to organ failure. The body needs a lot of different nutrients to function well: energy, macro and micro nutrients, water... you can only get all this from a diet that's varied. You can get enough calories without getting enough nutrients and you will still be susceptible to major health problems.

Have you seen "Super Size Me"? The guy eats nothing but McDonalds for a month and his doctors tell him after about 2 weeks that his organs are close to shutting down. Its a great movie for motivating you to eat real food!

For my money, the best diet is a macrobiotic one. I'll leave you to Google that if you're interested.

The bottom line is that calories are only one target. If you want to look and feel good, you need to hit lots of targets simultaneously.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    many experts agree losing weight means you must expend more calories than you consume. if you do you will lose weight. will you be healthy with any type of calorie? no, the healthier products going in, obviously the healthier you will be. good luck, i use the "clean eating" ideas, you can look that up as well if it is something you are interested in.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    oops double post
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    remember you need a certain amount of fats in your deit or else weight websites wouldn't put a percentage for you to get too. For the love of pete don't do a fat free diet just do healthy fats!
This discussion has been closed.