How to cut the sodium!

Options
Every night when I go over my food log for the day, I am WAY over on my sodium levels! I try to cut out as much as possible, but it's hard because I am in college and mainly get my food from college dining.

Any tips? I try to avoid lunch meats and soups.

Replies

• craftybirdy
    Options
    I don't know how much bread you normally eat but I've found that to be a huge source of sodium for me.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Try to cut out as many "pre-packaged" foods as possible. Ditto for canned anything, not just soup. I can easily go over on a day where I have some of my tomato soup recipe & a black bean burger along with other usual things.

The closer you get to the way the food was naturally, the lower sodium amount it will have. When I was in college I would eat a large salad w/ a small amount of salad dressing, and then try to only take grilled or baked meats w/ no breading. It's hard when you are not cooking for yourself, but just do what you can within your limitations.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do but you need to switch to fresh food.
    I've been under 1500 mg/day for over 3 months but I have to make my own bread and sauces/condiments etc.
    Don't buy "low fat" items either. They up the salt in those.
    Greek yogurt is great for lots of stuff...
    Track your potassium as well. Studies have shown that you should have at least 2mg. K to 1mg. Na.
    Your Na. should be below 2500 mg. Some doctors are saying <1500 mg.