Running.. Is it ok if my shoes are a little big?

Options
I normally wear about a 9.5 but after trying on many shoes the pair that I liked the best was only available in a 9 or 10. The 9's were to small so I went with the 10. They fit great, the arch is just right (fits in the right spot) and they do not slip at all. I have ran in them on my treadmill (total of just over 6 miles) and they felt great. My only concern is that they are a little longer than I would normally get (they don't trip me or anything though). So should enjoy the fit and a little extra roomieness in the toe or will this be a problem down the road? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It is actually recommended (it doesn't seem like you went to a running store to get fitted or they would've told you this) that you run/work out in shoes that are 1/2 - 1 size larger than you normally wear - because your feet swell. I normally wear a size 10 - so my running shoes are 10.5 -- I tried on a pair of brooks, and they put me in a size 11 in that shoe.

IF YOU DON'T WEAR THE PROPER SIZE SHOE YOU RISK ALL KINDS OF ISSUES
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm always at least a half size larger in my running shoes. My feet do swell and I like the extra room in the toes. Nothing is worse than a sore toe because it rubs against the front of your shoe everytime you step :-)

Next time you buy shoes make sure you go to a running store so they can fit you properly. I've been running for two years and have gone through about 6 pairs of shoes (I also do bootcamp in my running shoes so the soles wear out pretty fast) and all but one have been the exact same shoe. I tried to switch to a "prettier" shoe and suffered the consequences - lost a toenail, threw out my back, screwed up my IT bands. I went back to the shoe the running store recommended and 3 months later all issues were gone (except for the toenail....it's still growing back in....lol).
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sort of like a pair of jeans, you need your running shoes to fit regardless of the number on the tag.

I wear 11 in all shoes, but I wear a 12 in my Brooks running shoes. But note that the 12s are not too big for me, they fit perfectly. It is just that the sizing is goofy.