Going out for Mexican food...HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• majikkan
    majikkan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I say order whatever the heck you want. Call it an off day and get back to it tomorrow!!!!
    This. I think the question you really need to ask yourself is, "Do I ever intend to eat Mexican food again?" If your diet is a temporary thing until you get the weight off, then you're going to succeed in the short term and fail in the long term. If it's more an acknowledgement that your prior eating habits were unsustainable, then there is no problem. You eat what you want, and then go back to eating the way you were. If you're really worried about it, perform a ton of cardio that week to make room for the calories you're going to consume.

Live a little!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Tortilla soup!!!

I've been craving it for weeks now.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    shrimp tacos, or anything minus the cheese and sour cream, with lots of salsa and moderate guac. Or really just portion control and eat what you want?
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    grilled or steamed Talapia......shrimp fajitas.......w/ whole beans not refried......U CAN DO IT :drinker: :drinker:
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm mexican, and when I go to restaurants I order Caldo Tlalpeño: it has chicken, vegetables, about a 1/3 cup of rice, avocado in cubes and (optional) chipotle pepper. Is not super high in calories, so it won't make your calorie budget go very high, it's a good cheat soup because is very nutritious.

http://mexican.food.com/recipe/caldo-tlalpeno-178082
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Order Fajitas if you can. they will serve you chicken (or beef or shrimp) which has been grilled and sauteed peppers and onions. the sour cream salsa and guacamole comes seperate. Avoid the chips and you dont have to eat the tortillas. Stick with the corn tortillas if you are going to eat any or just eat the rice. Good luck...We can still enjoy the foods we like if we plan.
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Mexican..my weakness..I order chicken fajitas cooked in very little oil, no tortilla,sour cream or any that stuff that comes on the extra plate..However I still cannot turn down chips and cheese dip.....
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Wait...what's so bad about Mexican food again?:huh:
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    taco salad shredded chicken no guac or sour cream... salsa.. water..
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    I agree, pick something that you feel is the best option. Don't overly deprive yourself, up your exercise for a few days, and maybe eat a tiny bit less for a few days. Life is to short to feel like you are depriving yourself from the joys of spending time with friends, even if that includes eating more than one day, this is a journey that will last more than one day, so balance it out.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I say order whatever the heck you want. Call it an off day and get back to it tomorrow!!!!
    This. I think the question you really need to ask yourself is, "Do I ever intend to eat Mexican food again?" If your diet is a temporary thing until you get the weight off, then you're going to succeed in the short term and fail in the long term. If it's more an acknowledgement that your prior eating habits were unsustainable, then there is no problem. You eat what you want, and then go back to eating the way you were. If you're really worried about it, perform a ton of cardio that week to make room for the calories you're going to consume.

Live a little!

I agree - I am of the order what you truly feel like school of thought. Maybe try asking for an entree size or child's size plate OR ask for a spare plate and cut that meal down the middle to 2/3 and put the rest on the spare plate before you start to eat and ask to have that bagged up to take home for leftovers.

You are going out to enjoy yourself and your friend's company, not be a food martyr that totally dissects the menu and eyes off every mouthful your friend eats in a slightly deprived and demented manner!

Enjoy :)