Very Low, or Zero Cal Foods.

Options

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If your like me and you NEED a handful of something salty and delicious, see if any of your grocery stores have Plantain Chips! They are amazing and not even nearly as bad as chips or cookies. I don't feel guilty after having some. There fairly low in calories (about 150 calories per 32 chips). The garlic flavored are by far my favorite. They have that crunch and taste of chips so it gets rid of that craving 9 times out of ten. I hope that helps ( they sell them at Winners in Canada!)

Thanks for the suggestion above I live in Europe so will have to check ebay to see if I can buy it there.
    My favorite low cal snack before I go to bed is Sugar Free Banana Cream pudding, with shirataki rice it is no cal/carb. I add a dollop of real whipped cream in a can, and a marashano cherry 3 if I have the calories to spare. This is so good and it tastes like banana cream rice pudding!
  • Mrs_Holly
    Options
    I do a lowww carb high protein life style and I don't have cravings~ Carrots, watermelon, and all those are high carbs and cause more cravings and you'll feel hungry. Just my 2 cents... but someday try an Atkins type life style... low carb/high protein... Good luck! :)
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone suggest shirataki noodles. They make a fabulous stir-fry with your favorite stir-fry veggies and your favorite lean protein (I use chicken breasts) and are 0 calories (yes, you read that right) for a regular 7 oz package and only 40 calories if they have a little bit of tofu added to the noodles.

Chelle (finallychelle) is the shirataki noodle queen - she has some fantastic stir-fry recipies - you can search for her shirataki receipes on MFP. She strongly recommends and explains how to dry fry them - she's exactly right. It's extremely easy, foolproof, and works perfectly.

Here's a link to one of her threads about shirataki noodles, how to cook them, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles>

Here's a link to one of her recipes:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/352171-shirataki-noodle-beef-lo-mein?hl=shirataki

I generally use chicken, omit the bok choy, and substitute white or other regular mushrooms, chop up a red and/or green pepper, and throw in a cup of shredded carrots and some red pepper flakes. I usually add a couple of tablespoons of asian stir fry sauce, which adds a fair amount of sodium, but only about 25 calories per tablespoon. Delicious and very satisfying.
  • burnitoff6
    Options
    Calories in hummus depend a LOT on the brand, so be careful! The kind I buy is a USA store brand and is 45 calories for 2T.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I do a lowww carb high protein life style and I don't have cravings~ Carrots, watermelon, and all those are high carbs and cause more cravings and you'll feel hungry. Just my 2 cents... but someday try an Atkins type life style... low carb/high protein... Good luck! :)

It depends on who you are, whether this will work or not. I had the worst cravings of my life while doing a low carb, high protein diet.

@OP: I try to snack on veggies and fruits. But when in the mood for something more desert-like, I'll eat a sugar free jello or drink a diet soda.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love corn thins (like rice cakes, but with corn...they taste like popcorn), 23 cals each. Then, being an Aussie, I add a little bit of Vegemite (2 cals), but I'm sure you could top with something else like some low fat cream cheese.

I also love flavoured rice cakes. I get sour cream and chives ones that are 32 cals each and honestly taste like chips!

Otherwise, I'll have a carrot (although it usually only ends up being half), or some slices of cucumber.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You could also have a glass of Metamucil. For 20 cals it fills you up for hours (and will help you at the other end too)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any green vegetables are super low cal and very good for you.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Only thing with zero calories are Air & water. Everything else has something.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pooj_K
    Pooj_K Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mandys63
    Options
    I went on a low carb diet and ended up with a bladder stone :( Not nice . The doctor gave me a good telling off.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not 0 calories, but greek yogurt with ranch dressing mix with veggies is a good healthy snack.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    A can of chicken broth if you aren't watching your sodium. It's perfect for that ice cold day when you want to eat to stay warm.
  • scottages
    Options
    Celestial Seasonings Zinger Tea

I really like the lemon zinger herbal tea. It is really flavorful and zero calories (don't add milk - you don't need it with this type of tea). Zero calories and because it is nice and hot you sip and take your time drinking (unlike water which you can chug). It takes time to boil the water, make the cup and then drink. Helps keep you occupied instead of snacking.

Good luck - I know you can beat those cravings!
  • lisaann7089
    Options
    bump!
  • thibideau
    thibideau Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take a celery stalk and spread it with peanut butter along with another glass of water
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Listerine!! It stops All cravings...Right Now!!

That's honestly not a very good idea. Overuse of Listerine can lead to intra-oral lesions and soft tissue irregularities. Listerine kills both good and bad germs in your mouth. By using it too much, you're killing the healthy, protective flora and promoting yeast overgrowth... It's okay to use it two times a day, but don't overdo it. My dentist was addicted to that thing, he would wash his mouth every two hours. Ironically enough, he died of mouth cancer.

As for my way to deal with my cravings, I usually start by drinking a big glass of ice cold water. Then, if I crave something sweet, I eat a fruit, yogurt, a square of dark chocolate, a healthy granola bar, a cup of healthy juice, a smoothie, a cup of applesauce...
    If I crave something salty, I might get a small bowl of low cal potato chips, a few vegetables with 2 tbsp of hummus, almonds, a bowl of air popped popcorn, some low fat cheese, salad with low fat dressing, low cal crackers.

A very good way to suppress appetite is to exercise. I usually do not feel hungry at all after a good work out.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    chia seeds in water
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I eat pop corn if I'm still hungry and don't have a lot of calories.
    However, maybe you should reevaluate how many calories you're eating?