Hair loss worries....

Options
2»

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My sister had that same issue, turned out she wasn't getting enough protein in her diet. Maybe check that too. (Now she's fine, upped her protein and isn't having the issue anymore)
  • sandygut1116
    Options
    i have a hair loss prob as well and a beautician was telling me to stop using conditioner, if that helps.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Biotin is a generic hair vitamin. My hair started getting a little thin -- or my part was getting wider. The biotin has helped tremendously. As a side benefit, The new crop of hair on my shoulders should help keep me warm if I forget my jacket this winter. And, the sun is no longer a problem as my eyebrows can now be knit into a perfect sunshade. :tongue: But trust me, try the biotin.

HAHAHA! Funny :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough and that will cause hair loss!

Pretty much my first thought. 1200 calories isn't a lot. I was on 1400 calories at about 215lbs and my hair fell out.

Maybe figure out your TDEE and take a 30% cut from that?
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Just because there's no history of thyroid trouble in your family doesn't mean it's not a possibility. I'd ask about it next time you see your doctor and get it checked, just to be certain.

This.

I have no family history, am the skinny minny in my family, and my thyroid is underactive.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to genuinely thank all of you who took the time to respond to my original post and who gave me suggestions. I am going to start off with additional protein, most likely in the form of protein powder, and trying to balance out my diet a bit more. I am also going to invest in a better shampoo/conditioner than the one I am currently using. (I was using an awesome one a month or so ago and ran out, and I had this other stuff in the house, so I wanted to use it up.) I will follow up with a visit to the doctor.

Thank you again for your time and concern!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 60 lbs. really fast and my hair started falling out and thinning and my nails became very brittle. I upped my vitamins, calcium, vitamin d and iron and I also slowed down my wt. loss to a more reasonable level. I also started taking biotin and my hair stopped falling out and thickened again. My doctor said it was normal to go through cycles where your hair will fall out every few months, but mine was related to my rapid wt. loss.
  • bananapancake_s
    Options
    Just because there's no history of thyroid trouble in your family doesn't mean it's not a possibility. I'd ask about it next time you see your doctor and get it checked, just to be certain.

hair loss is more likely related to an over active thyroid and not an under active thyroid. Worth getting it checked out.

Actually, hair loss can occur at both ends of the spectrum, too much or too little. Mine happens to be very underactive.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    had and appt with my endocronologist (because of my hair loss) and she said MY hair loss is most likely because of my medication being too high because of my weight loss-she also said it because of weight loss in general. It is a huge stressor on the body.
    Because I have lost 60lbs in the last 4 months my lower weight requires less of a dose of thryroid medication.

ETA: I am hypo and my hair was falling out. It was because even though I am HYPO, my medication dose was too high.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hello, all!

So I've been on MFP since the end of June 2012. From then until now, I have lost a total of 38 lbs. My daily calorie allowance is currently 1200- I am set up to lose 2 lbs per week, as I am obese, even after losing the aforementioned 38 lbs. I would like to change my weight loss to 1.5 or 1 lb per week once I have lost about 45 lbs. Portion control has been a huge part of my success, along with being more aware of the calorie content of pre-made or prepared foods. I also exercise at least 4 days per week doing cardio, and one or two days per week working on strength training, though I am a noob at it.

I take a daily Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamin supplement. (Sometimes I forget, but I take it at least 75% of the time). I eat back most, if not all, of my exercise calories, and I have no problems with the fact that there are days when I go over a bit in my diary, like today. Most days, MFP yells at me for being over my protein macro. I do not believe in completely cutting out certain kinds of food because I want this to be a change for life, and not just a 'diet'.

It could be me being paranoid, but lately I feel like I have a more loose hair/ hair falling out in the shower than I did before. My hair is curly so it looks thick, but it is actually very fine with just lots of hair in there. There is no history of thyroid problems or anything that would cause hair loss that runs in my family.

I am wondering what your thoughts are concerning hair loss, diet, protein, etc. Switch my vitamin? Take more vitamins? Eat more protedietary fats? Add protein supplements like a shake mix? Change my goal to lose more slowly?

I want to make sure I am losing in a healthy way, and if that means dialing it back a bit, I am willing to do that, but before I get too worried, I wanted to see what ideas/thoughts you all had.
    i would work on getting more protein in every day and be consistent. I would recommend starting at 50g at least per day and continue working out as usual. It will take some time, like a month or so but you'll see results. Hair loss is usually due to lack of proteins. Try eating eggs, greek yogurt, and protein shakes if you have to.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    They are all correct. I started having my hair fall out bad starting in June, and turns out I have Hashimoto's and a failing thyroid. I do have history, my mom had hers removed at 12, but I'm the only of my siblings with it. Hair loss in the main sign of thyroid problem so please get it checked. If it is symptoms will only add up from there. Have them test FT3, TSH and even test your antibodies to see if you have Grave's or Hashimoto's
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but it's become incredibly pronounced since losing weight. Some days I think it's not as bad, but I'm pretty sure all the long hairs are going to fall out and I'm just going to be left with the new growth.

Anyway, I was diagnosed with anemia last month, so I started taking iron and vitamin C. I'm also taking a slew of other vitamins because I'm lactose intolerant and don't eat red meat so my protein levels were down for quite some time while I figured things out. General consensus is my hair SHOULD grow back as long as I keep taking my vitamins, but it's going to take a long time. Because it's hair.
  • RainDrops1977
    Options
    This could be down to a lack of oestrogen. Worth checking.