Numbers don't add up. Need advice.

Options
I upped my lifting a few weeks ago, and I'm definitely building better muscle tone. However, the only measurements that have changed have been around my biceps, chest, and gluts, nothing around the abdominal area or thighs. Despite this, I've started having to wear belts more often for pants that were fine without a belt just a little while ago. Can anyone tell me why my pants are looser, but my waist measurements are the same? Or am I just overthinking this?

Note: These aren't old stretchy/worn out jeans. They're JUST broken in.

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    maybe you lost some fat around your thighs and hips, so that your jeans fall lower on your waist than before
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    maybe you lost some fat around your thighs and hips, so that your jeans fall lower on your waist than before

This sounds like it makes sense, but my measurements haven't changed there. :/
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    give it time
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scientific response for you but i can tell you that it is normal. Today a lady told me that she's been eating properly and working with a trainer for 2 months. Her run times are getting faster and her clothes are getting loser but her scale hasn't budged. I don't know whyvthis happens, but it does. It sounds like you are doing well. now if your clothes started getting too tight then i'd worry.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

This sounds like it makes sense, but my measurements haven't changed there. :/

Just as you can't spot reduce - you can't spot measure fat loss.

You did not lose where YOU happen to be measuring.

But your pants touch a whole lot more area than where you happen to be measuring.
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Giving it time is always the best answer... Thanks for replying everyone. It's confusing as heck, but as long as I end up where I wanted, that matters more. I suppose I really am over thinking it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scientific response for you but i can tell you that it is normal. Today a lady told me that she's been eating properly and working with a trainer for 2 months. Her run times are getting faster and her clothes are getting loser but her scale hasn't budged. I don't know whyvthis happens, but it does. It sounds like you are doing well. now if your clothes started getting too tight then i'd worry.

In case she didn't know either, cardio is asking your body to use an energy source that is limited but can be increased in the muscles - glucose.
    Glucose stores with water, to the tune of 1lb for 500 calories worth stored.

Going from nothing to exercising, you might gain up to 3lb total using big muscles that have room for storage. But it'll stop there at least.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Measurements are hard and you have to have it in the excact spot and no wiggling. I also know you could lose above or below that spot and never notice because you didn't measure there. Keep up the good work and try not to stress to much. You'll get there. :)
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options

In case she didn't know either, cardio is asking your body to use an energy source that is limited but can be increased in the muscles - glucose.
    Glucose stores with water, to the tune of 1lb for 500 calories worth stored.

Going from nothing to exercising, you might gain up to 3lb total using big muscles that have room for storage. But it'll stop there at least.

Oh no. Gaining is not something I'm worried about. If anything, if it's even slightly related to muscle, I want it. XD
  • KarmaxKitty
    Options
    Measurements are hard and you have to have it in the excact spot and no wiggling. I also know you could lose above or below that spot and never notice because you didn't measure there. Keep up the good work and try not to stress to much. You'll get there. :)

Thank you. :)