just registered for my first half marathon!!!

Options
i just registered for the marine corps historic half marathon in fredericksburg, va on may 16. i can't wait! i'm still figuring out my training plan, but does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPod, check out pod runner on iTunes. It has tunes to rock out to, and a tone that tells you when to walk & when to run, and gradually build up stamina. I'm pretty sure they have half marathon and marathon programs. I'm just starting couch to 5k with them. Good luck!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!

I'm not sure about how long you've been running but my advice is to Run Run Run!! Just make sure you get your miles in. I didnt really use a training plan for either of the 1/2 Marathons that I ran, I just slowly increased the miles that I was running, about a mile each week.

make sure you stretch and take your recovery days so you dont get hurt. Good luck!
  • elysetoplin
    Options
    thanks! i've been running on and off for over a year (and in the off-periods, i've substituted it with something else, usually elliptical type workouts or, most recently, spinning). i can run about 3 miles at a 10 minute pace right now, so obviously i have a ways to go. yesterday, i ran 1.75 miles, walked .25 miles, and ran another 1.5 miles.
    also, when people were training, what types of cross training, if any, did you use, and how often? i've gotten really into spinning over the last several months and don't want to completely give it up while i'm getting ready for the half marathon, so how do you think i could incorporate it into training?
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I teach spinning so that was my cross training, I also did yoga once a week and did some light weight training on my short run days.
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon in September 2009. It was for the annual Canadian Army run. Crossing that finish line was the best feeling in the world. My best advice is to make sure that you get all your long runs in during training. Also, don't stress yourself out about a time, the important thing is to finish. Good luck!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    no advice, But wanted to wish you luck!!
  • sporters
    Options
    One of my weight loss goals is to run a 5k by January of 2011. You are an inspiration!! Good luck and let us know how you do!! :)
  • elysetoplin
    Options
    thank you all so much! i'll definitely keep y'all posted on how everything goes!!!
  • elysetoplin
    Options
    also, for those of you that have run a half before, how long did it take you to train for it? what can i expect from training (weight loss and otherwise)? how many days a week were you running vs. resting vs. doing other things?
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My husband is training for his first marathon and he is using Hal Higdon's training book. Also google half marathon training and you will find a few different options for training!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I used Hal HIgdon too (and I"m using it to train for a marathon)

My only advice would be to check out the hill in the course and make sure you include some hills in your training. I didn't train on hills and there was 1 fairly steep one in the race. I didn't train for hills and it ended up killing my IT band by mile 5. Aftter that all inclines hurt and I had to walk up them. I did finish the race in 2:05 but I probably could have been under 2 if I hadn't had to walk or stop and stretch.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good for you!Try the Runner's World site under 'training' and they have a bunch of plans that you can follow:laugh:
    Good luck!
  • heathersu
    Options
    Hey!

I have done a few half marathons and it usually took me about two to three months of steady milage increase. About 3-4 days prior to the marathon it is a good idea to actually run the full 13 miles, decrease your milage for a couple of days after that and do not run at all the day before the big run.

Good luck!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    YEAH! Good Luck! I am doing my first marathon in October.... yikes (so scared but excited). My sister runs marathons a couple of times a year and her advise to me was to make sure you runa ll of the miles on your training program and to make sure you are eating enough and drinking enough water!
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did a clinic through the Running Room and it took 16 weeks. Best $70 I have ever spent!
  • elysetoplin
    Options
    I used Hal HIgdon too (and I"m using it to train for a marathon)

My only advice would be to check out the hill in the course and make sure you include some hills in your training. I didn't train on hills and there was 1 fairly steep one in the race. I didn't train for hills and it ended up killing my IT band by mile 5. Aftter that all inclines hurt and I had to walk up them. I did finish the race in 2:05 but I probably could have been under 2 if I hadn't had to walk or stop and stretch.

the hills are the only thing i'm worried about. i go to school in new orleans so i'm there most of the year where it's really really flat, but the race is closer to my home in dc (i'm from maryland, the race is in virginia). and the last three miles of the race are all uphill. does anyone know of any way to simulate hills while i'm training, because there are practically none here?
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    runnersworld.com has some good programs. Most plans are 16-18 weeks.
    Its usually whatever you run during the week you run that much on your long run. I've done 3 marathons and alot of halfs and my weight is a HUGE issue. The more I run the more I eat. Plus when you run you have this feeling of getting to drink Powerade and Gatorades and eat all those carb or protein bars. You dont NEED them! Its all a myth. On long runs take a few pretzels, drink water etc etc..People (like me) eat and drink more "running" food and stay the same weight (fat). Then as you come back down in mileage on your plan you keep eating the same as when you were running high mileage so you gain...
    I am now getting it...I log my food and stay away from all that carbing up. Best adivce is: If you must miss a run never be it your long run. Even if you have to walk the whole long run so be it.
    Hills: You can try to jack up the tread mill as high as it goes. Are there any steps to run like a stadium or something like that?

Good luck! Have fun!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for the race. Now get training :-) We run over some bridges here in Jacksonville. We don't have any hills here either. Or you could do some treadmill training one day a week and set at an incline to get in some hill work.