training style advice

Options
Hey All,

ive been working out now for around 18 months, dropped significant fat off and built muscle. i never had any chest muscle when i started, and i mean none, took around 6 months just to make it able to tense lol. ive worked hard and finally started getting some improvements but im still very unhappy about its overall progress.

i started a training routine a few weeks ago which looks like this:

bench press
7 sets, each set upto 5 reps, when able to do more then 30 reps total increase weight, between sets 2-3, 3-4 30 seconds rest, 4-5,5-6 45 secs, 5-6, 6-7 60 secs rest.

incline dumbell press
as above only 5-7 reps when 40+ achieved increase weight.

cable cross overs
as above 7 sets 5-7 reps

dips
5 sets, 3 to almost failure, last 2 to actual failure

this simple routine seems to be activating my chest well and i can feel the soreness 4 days after the workout, i.e monday workout, thursday still achy.

my bench has increased from 70-77.5 kg in the first 3 weeks (im just starting week 4 next week)

incine 22.5kg - 25kg dumbells

cable crossovers setting 5 to setting 6
dips
few extra reps per set.

which is awesome!

now here is where i would like advice. i really want to build a chest that looks big (dont we all!) i genuienly struggles to get the 70kg completed in the first week and it seems no harder now hitting the heavier weights.

what i am thinking of is switching monthly the rep ranges.

so this month for example
bench press 3-5 reps for 7 sets was the aim. aiming for 30 to increase the weight.

now month 2 im thinking of going back down to 70kg but aiming higher in terms of reps.
hopefully something like this (nothing drastic)

7 sets with same rest periods, but aiming for 6-8 reps so when 42 total reps is achieved increase the weight next session by 2.5kg as previously increased.

and then for the third month increase it further again hopefully something like 10-15 reps. aiming for 60 before increasing weight.

so the idea would look like this

week1, 70kg 32 reps achieved (actual results)
week2, 72,5kg 32 reps achieved (actual again)
week 3, 75kg 33 reps achieved ( again)
week 4 ( i guess i am on week 4 now ) 77.5kg 33 reps achieved
week 5, 70kg hoping for 42
week 6 72.5 aim for 42
week 7 75, 42
week 8 77.5kg for 42 hopefully
week 9 70kg aiming for 60
week 10 72.5 aiming for 60
week11 75 aiming for 60
week 12m 77.5 aiming for 60

then a week off and starting at
80 and repeating.

would this work? i want to increase the reps as i know for me it improves size dramastically. and i know i might not hit each target every session. although i am sure one way or another i can best my previous.

Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    i would make sure i am eating enough. if you want to get big you have to eat big and lift big
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thats fine, but what else are you doing besides chest stuff?

Are you working any other muscle group besides chest?
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    im eating around 500 cal excess daily, normally hitting

300-450g of carbs, 200-350g protein, 90-140g fat, at around 3500 on exercise days, 500 cals less on non exercise days.

current routine is,

mondays: chest
    tuesdays: back
    wed: rest
    thursday: shoulders
    Friday: legs

chest days currently,

bench, incline dumbells, dips, cable crossovers, later in the week some press ups

back days,
    deadlifts, bent over rows or cable rows, lat pull downs, wide and close grips. over and underhand. usually do 2 rows with deads, or 4 diff rows depending on fatigue tbh

shoulders,

ohp/military press, shrugs, face pulls,

legs
    squats, ext, curls, raises, press.

this is the base of my routines.