Swimming... 'tummy' issues

Options
This is a serious post; even if it may not seem it.

Immediately after swimming, and also for most of the day after, I get serious flatulence. So sometimes so bad, that it can double me over for 10 minutes until some is released. This doesn’t always happen but it is regular.

Why is this happening, and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Just to be clear, it is just gases.

Cheers

Replies

• jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is apparently something quite common, I had the same problem and was told to work on my breathing technique as along with swallowing some excess water you also swallow air instead of breathing properly. Is there a coach/ lifeguard you could ask to help you improve technique?
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    hmmm i thought it maybe something on the lines of this, last few times iv been (not that often) im learning bilateral breathing. Im getting good with exhaling in water and my body roll is pretty good, but my timing is off, i think i pop my head out to breathe a bit too late. maybe something to do with it? not got anyone to really ask
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Ya definitely the way you breathe, happens in a lot of adult classes whoa re just learning to swim. It's hard to improve technique without someone watching you, since you might think you got it right but not be on point. have someone with experience give you pointers or help you gauge it.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I also get this after swimming, but not to your extreme. As others have said, it's to do with your breathing technique.