what foods to get at a chinese restaurant??

My group dinner tonight with friends, which was all set for this place where I knew I could get the salmon, got moved to a Chinese restaurant. What can I get that won't send my calories absurdly high?! I'm at 1200 calories a day and really don't have room for extra food like Chinese!

Thanks all!!

Replies

• jerman01
    jerman01 Posts: 34 Member
    I don't go out for chinese. I like terraki chicken. But it isn't that good for me. Everything at a chinese restaurant is high in salt. I have only been once and it set me back a few days.

Stick to the fruit and salad.
  • ghimm
    ghimm Posts: 38 Member
    I like getting chicken and veggies and garlic sauce and I don't eat the rice. A small soup is a bit high on sodium, but generally not fattening. Avoid fried things, noodles, and thick sauces
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    My favorite thing is Broccoli and garlic sauce (sauce on side). Works out to be a huge plate of veg for around 100 cal. That leaves me room for a naughty drink if I want it.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    stay away from the buffet, you can request steamed veggies, most chinese places also have fish. Just stay away from the sauces. I can't comment on sushi I know nothing about it.
  • dutchman24
    dutchman24 Posts: 108 Member
    By us here, the Beef and Broccoli is quit reasonable in calories. MFP helped me make that detemination. If you like veggies, try something that features those....
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Chineese food is horrible for you! Tons of salt and calories...I don't know how Asian people stay so thin eating that stuff!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    It doesn't matter what you eat! You don't see any FAT Chinese, men or women!!!!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    If I know I'm eating out I try to do extra workouts just in case!!
    However, I would avoid rice, dumplings, noodles anything in batter prawn crackers and spring rolls. Fill up on a bowl of soup, then have some steamed veggies, I love pak choi, and some fruit. Drink lots and lots of chinese tea, my preference is Jasmine. I would also say use chop sticks too that way you eat slower.(but not for the soup lol!)

Or eat what you want but not until you feel bloated,, and go do lots of extra exercise tomorrow!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Chineese food is horrible for you! Tons of salt and calories...I don't know how Asian people stay so thin eating that stuff!

they don't...
    what we know as "chinese" food is not what they eat on a daily basis.
    They don't have deep fried chicken fingers, deep fried egg rolls, deep fried crab rangoons, stuff on a stick..pork fried rice with tons of stuff in it....

they have steamed rice and veggies, etc.
    much healthier.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    grilled dumplings
    steamed scallops
    lots of veg, pak choi etc
    some noodles (depends which ones)
    green tea
    some dishes with thin garlic etc based sauces rather than thick sauces such as sweet and sour.
  • I normally have a Chinese takeaway every Friday as my weekly treat, I love the stuff.

The lower-calorie options are things such as a king prawn or chicken chow mein, or king prawn or chicken with mushrooms, together with boiled rice.

Avoid fried rice like the plague, and any of the offerings in batter.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member

That's because Chinese people eat Chinese food (steamed/stir fried veggies, rice etc) and Americans eat Amercian food inspired by China and think it's Chinese food.
  • Luci_Green_Eyes
    Luci_Green_Eyes Posts: 32 Member
    This has really helped me too as I'm going to a Chinese restaurant with my sister tonight... Will stick to as much veg as possible and avoid the sweet and sour sauce like the plauge! Oh, and I'll throw in a 5km run in the morning to offset it! :-)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    It doesn't matter what you eat! You don't see any FAT Chinese, men or women!!!!

Erm I'm looking at 2 fat chinese men now! They live and work in the chinese take away next door to my shop!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    I had the same last week and I just asked for boiled rice (brown if they have it) and steamed veg, it was actually quite nice but could seem boring when everyone else is tucking into chicken balls, prawn toast etc etc. I found the rice filled me up quick and the veg just gave a different texture and a bit of taste :)
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Grilled something if you have to get Chinese. Chicken and Broccoli is my favorite. But Lemon Pepper chicken is great too. Stay away from fried or sauce covered anything, or at least have minimal. Chinese is survivable, however, you will be hungry in an hour.

And stay away from rice. It's a waste, imo.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    I normally have a Chinese takeaway every Friday as my weekly treat, I love the stuff.

The lower-calorie options are things such as a king prawn or chicken chow mein, or king prawn or chicken with mushrooms, together with boiled rice.

Avoid fried rice like the plague, and any of the offerings in batter.
    I'd have agreed with chicken chow mein ... although... when I am on maintenance for a weekend, it has been known for a stray nana fritter to find it's way towards me,
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Chicken and broccoli in brown sauce. Sometimes mixed veggies in brown sauce. With mixed veggiesI have to ask for brown sauce, as they usually come with white sauce.
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 1 Member
    I was once told that the lowest calorie meal to get at a chinese (takeaway) is King Prawn & Tomato.

How true that actually is I'm not sure but generally speaking Prawns & Tomatoes are both low in calories.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    they don't...
    what we know as "chinese" food is not what they eat on a daily basis.
    They don't have deep fried chicken fingers, deep fried egg rolls, deep fried crab rangoons, stuff on a stick..pork fried rice with tons of stuff in it....

they have steamed rice and veggies, etc.
    much healthier.

When I was in China (country side, not big city) they used LOTS and LOTS of eggs in their rice and veggies. but it was always fried rice, which considering the almost 3rd World water and hygiene of that area, I was happy for fried! Kill that botulism!