Eating healthily and exercising but no weight loss?

Options
Okay so I would say I have a generally healthy diet, and I burn at least 300 calories on the running machine everyday, yet nothing seems to be changing?

An average day for me would probably be..
breakfast - 2 weetabix, chopped up grapes, skimmed milk
lunch - hovis medium slice bread, tomato, salad
dinner - generally healthy e.g. pasta with veg, try avoid ridiculously fatty foods
snacks - apple, banana, seafood sticks, low fat houmous, maybe one or two biscuits!
drinks - lots of tea! smoothies, juice

Is there anything I'm doing wrong..?

Appreciate any advice!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you logging the calories and staying in budget or assuming because it's "healthy" food that it is naturally going to be alright? Pasta packs a huge calorie punch and so can smoothies depending on what is in them.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary, we can take a look and see what is going on. :)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't eating a lot of fat in your diet. Dietary fat (though it seems counterintuitive) is essential for sustained weightloss. Try adding in some avocado, nuts, salmon....
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It's what you're eating and ultimately how MUCH. You can out eat exercise in 5 minutes. And it looks like your food is all carbs and sugar. Smoothies and juices are almost always high carb/sugar. You need a lot more protein..I'd cut out pasta in the evenings and go for a protein and a veg. And do your calories. You can over eat "healthy " foods just as easily as junk food...well not just...but can!
  • freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good food, but you're probably eating into your maintain weight calorie intake. Though I'm sure your running has improved.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    do you log them? do you measure your portions? do you eat back exercise cals,

for me i was shocked to see some cals on healthy items...i thought i was eating healthy but didn't realize i was still eating too much of some items. eg) grapes, cheese, etc. and i agree pasta is a huge calorie punch, so make sure you weigh or measure your portion.
  • gaboudreau
    gaboudreau Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above..If anyone would have asked me before joining this site, I would have said I eat healthy too, until you realize the huge amounts of calories you are consuming and carbs even with the foods you mentioned. :frown: :frown: It's all about portions and counting the calories-it's amazing how quickly they add up!
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about getting too much fat, actually, I'd increase the fat you're eating. If you add fat and protein into your lunch and dinner then you might find you need to snack less. Look for good fats. Try regular hummus in your sandwich as the fat in that is normally olive oil, not so scary and it's tasty!

Also, I would give up the juice and smoothies. A medium glass of fruit juice can be over 200cals and you're eating fruit already so it's really unnecessary.

Good luck and don't worry too much, you've made a good start and it might take a while for those first pounds to shift.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Agree with everyone above.
  • Laurieellen25
    Options
    Hormones can also have a big factor, for instance if you have Poly Cystic Ovaries (noted by chin hair, and almost like an intertube around your midsection where you gain) This is much harder to lose the weight. If you are eating what you are noting and the weight is still not coming off you may want to check with your doctor and have yourself tested (simple blood test for homones) Then you can search out food that complement your issue. Good LUCK!!!:smile:
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Make sure you take full advantage of this website. It has opened my eyes to what real healthy eating looks like. You need more protein and less carbs and sugars - be adamant about sticking close to your macros . Like someone said, cut out the juices. Good Luck!