Does anyone use a physical object for motivation?

Options

Replies

• jasondcooper
    Options
    Yes! Spotify is always running on my Android during my workouts.
    Not sure if this counts, but my Mp3 player.

I love music. When I'm feeling unmotivated and blah a few min of zoning out and head bopping to a favorite song really seems to pick me up. I don't know why, but then I seem to have the energy to go ahead and get the days exercise out of the way.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't use or need motivation. If after a few months of your healthier lifestyle you still depend on some sort of motivation and it hasn't become habit or second nature to you, there's a problem.
  • mmaoz
    mmaoz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I guess so.

I mean, i'm not losing weight for no reason. The physical reason is my body.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I do. :blushing: I picked up a CUTE summer dress at a grocery store of all places. There was only 1 size. Last time I tried it on it was still a bit tight in the hips. I keep it hanging up in my bathroom, which is where I get dressed every morning. That way I see it every day.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I do! I have my high school cheer leading uniform on the top of my dresser. When I can close the button on that skirt again without suffocating, I will be ecstatic.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i use quotes written on little sticky notes or directly on my mirror with dry erase board. i put them in really obvious places, on my desk, my my computer, in my books, etc. i also keep a running file of positive quotes on my computer desktop.

also i never really put my running shoes or hrm away. i always leave them out in view as a reminder to get my butt moving!

there isn't something run with you if you need motivation. i've worked out my whole life and it is a habit for me (to the point where i'm restless if i don't), but i still have to find ways to motivate myself. there are just so many other things to distract me! you have to do whatever works for you to keep working out a priority in your life.

i also had the idea to use chalk board paint to paint an area on my wall in the kitchen wear i can write my healthy grocery list and positive motivation!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a photo of me from 20 years ago stuck on the fridge. Sad thing is, I was not happy with my weight then but I would be ecstatic now.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    I posted a picture of me from last Christmas on my kitchen door. It's a reminder of why I don't want to backslide.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The tub of my old clothes were my motivation for a long time. When the scale wasn't moving but I was still working hard, it was nice to try the old skinny stuff on and feel a difference in how they fit. One at a time, the jeans ended up fitting again, and it was GLORIOUS. Even better was tossing them in the bag for Goodwill when they got too baggy. Once I used that tub up, I would buy a size lower than I could wear just to have that same motivation. I have a pair of 5/6 jeans hanging in my closet that fit a touch snug, and I'm going to keep trying them on until I can wear them all day comfortably. Then it will be time to buy a size lower. I also keep a board on Pinterest full of pictures of fit, athletic women, motivational quotes, and exercises. I keep great music handy. It's nice that I have a before pic of myself on my MFP, so I can check that out at any time. It's pretty gross.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have a heavily embroidered orange plaid button up western shirt that i LOOOOOOVE that I will not stop until I fit back into it. The last time I fit into it was 6-7 years ago, and even then it was a bit snug.
  • mdonovan
    Options
    I don't use or need motivation. If after a few months of your healthier lifestyle you still depend on some sort of motivation and it hasn't become habit or second nature to you, there's a problem.
    I was wondering how/when someone would find a way to fit in a smug, condescending response.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I bought a beautiful jacket at goodwill of all places, ruffhewn brand, with real fox fur lining the hood. Hnnng. It's too small right now, four-6 more inches to button it. I hope to fit into it before April. (It's still cold as hell up here by then.)
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I was wondering how/when someone would find a way to fit in a smug, condescending response.

How is that smug or condescending?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I get where you are coming from man but read through it. It does come across as pretty judgemental. Just saying. I tend to have the same approach. Goals are internalized and don't really look at externals that much. If you look at my profile it has the quote from Yoda, "Do or do not. There is no try." But not everyone is me and not everyone is you. People use different ways to get there. That doesn't mean "there's a probelm".
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    my penis sock
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    at the end of the summer i bought a bikini. have not put it on but it is my goal to fit into it next summer. i use my mfp friends workout posts as a motivator. i don't want to be the only one not working out on my page. LOL! once i'm at the gym i have a competitive streak in me that's so bad i sometimes "compete" with the guy on the exercise poster you know the one where it shows you what muscles you're working. the poster is directly in front of the treadmill and after a while his smug expression just gets to me. LOL!!!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I get where you are coming from man but read through it. It does come across as pretty judgemental. Just saying. I tend to have the same approach. Goals are internalized and don't really look at externals that much. If you look at my profile it has the quote from Yoda, "Do or do not. There is no try." But not everyone is me and not everyone is you. People use different ways to get there. That doesn't mean "there's a probelm".

My whole point was that eventually this whole healthy, active lifestyle thing should become second nature to you. And if you're still struggling with issues like motivation at a period when, by this far into it, you SHOULD have reached that point, then it's unlikely you'll be able to reach your goal or, if you do, be able to maintain it. I think that with these people, the key problem is that they haven't yet found a way of going about it that makes them feel like they're depriving themself of something they enjoy, or having to do something they don't enjoy in order to reach their goals. And if they try enough different things they'll find that will no longer be the case. That's what happened to me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

My whole point was that eventually this whole healthy, active lifestyle thing should become second nature to you. And if you're still struggling with issues like motivation at a period when, by this far into it, you SHOULD have reached that point, then it's unlikely you'll be able to reach your goal or, if you do, be able to maintain it. I think that with these people, the key problem is that they haven't yet found a way of going about it that makes them feel like they're depriving themself of something they enjoy, or having to do something they don't enjoy in order to reach their goals. And if they try enough different things they'll find that will no longer be the case. That's what happened to me.

Yeah, I got your point and much of what you say is valid. But I think whatever keeps someone engaged and focused on the objective is a good thing. So maybe someone SHOULD have reached a point where it's second nature and maye not. That's a very individual thing. You have a choice. You can encourage people in the right direction or you can judge and chastise which may discourage some altogether. Which choice do you think is best?
  • lauramcfarlane1994
    Options
    I've just got mine actually, I used to have a pair of jeans that i only got to wear once or twice before i got too fat! Sold them in the end as it was too depressing haha. I just bought a slinky dress for New Year - I will wear it out and I will feel good
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I also have a braclet that I wear with a motivation quote on it. Picked the quote myself. (got on etsy)

Me too (and also from Etsy)! The words are printed on the inside touching my wrist, so I'm the only one who knows something is written there. I never take it off, so it's a good reminder when I need it.