Tips for running outside?

Options

Replies

• weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There must be TONS of running groups in NYC. FInd one, join it, and run with them.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch to 5k program, and so far I have always used the treadmill at my college gym because I can go no matter what the weather is like and it's safe (I live in NY, so running in a park at night isn't very smart, lol). But I know there will be days, like this weekend, where I will have to run outside because I couldn't make it to the gym three days in a given week. I have ZERO experience doing this, so I need tips.

Where do you keep your keys when you're running? Do you feel weird exercising in public, and if so, how do you get over that? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I only run outside because in Florida you can run outside all year round. Most of my shorts/pants have pockets or a key pouch, so I put my house or car key there.
    Like the gym, most people who are outside are active people and will respect you for what you are doing. Just be smart as to where/when you run. You may even want to tell you S.O./roommate your route for safety reasons.
    It's harder to run outside because of the terrain and because the road below you is not moving, so don't be shocked if your pace is a little slower than normal. Your body will have to get used to paying attention to uneven surfaces, rocks, etc.
    As the weather gets cooler dress in layers. Light outer jackets are a must for cold runs... they usually have pockets, too! I love Old Navy's outer activewear.
    You are going to love running outside! And congrats on the C25K!!!
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoor running! Running inside just doesnt do it for me. I've been running for two years and at this point I just slap in my earbuds, crank some really great music and go :) Most of the people I see on the path are regulars with thier dogs or fellow runners and we all smile and nod as we go by, others I pay no attention to at all. I find that running is also my "meditation" time so I tend to get into a zone and appreciate my surroundings without too much thought aside from how good I feel. I think once you start outdoor running you will find it addictive, take care though because pavement running and treadmill running do feel different and you may end up a little more sore afterward.

However if the OP is concerned about safety I would not recommend wearing headphones. When I run at night I run without music; I am aware of my surroundings 100%, focused.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ID, key(s), phone/mp3, small snack all fit nicely in my waist belt. I used the crap outta the one my hubby bought me @ Walmart last year so I bought a fancier one at the marathon expo last month. For 5k distances, you don't need to worry about snack or water. I have dhydration belt I use for my over 8 mile runs that has an even bigger storage section plus holsters for 2 small water bottles. Also a gift from my hubby!

As for feeling awkward out doors. . .The fear of what my neighbors would think of me (or rather what I looked like) kept me from running at home for awhile. On trails, other runners just mentally applaud your effort, but snarky neighbors peering out from behind curtains. . . that worried me. Then I realized. . .ain't none of them out here moving their backsides. And, they need to just as much as I do. So I quit worrying about them and started focussing on how much I - LOVE - RUNNING!!!!

Get out there and have fun. NYC???? Be prepared for cold gusty weather this weekend! Dress in layers!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As for feeling awkward out doors. . .The fear of what my neighbors would think of me (or rather what I looked like) kept me from running at home for awhile. On trails, other runners just mentally applaud your effort, but snarky neighbors peering out from behind curtains. . . that worried me. Then I realized. . .ain't none of them out here moving their backsides. And, they need to just as much as I do. So I quit worrying about them and started focussing on how much I - LOVE - RUNNING!!!!

Exactly!

Before I started running, you know what I thought of people I saw running on the side of the road?

"Damn, I wish I could do that."
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just take off the one key you need (house key or car key) and tie it in your shoe lace. You can put your phone or ipod on an arm band for music, but may I also suggest that you try running without headphones sometimes? As a begginer it can sometimes be advantageous to hear your breathing and steps hitting the pavement. Plus it can be nice to take in the outside world or find a nice tranquil park to run in. One more tip, if you're going to run on concrete and never have before, take it easy as your legs won't be accustomed to it (expect it to be a bit harder than the treadmill).

To me, running on a treadmill just feels like exercise. Running outside feels like recreation.
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I prefer outdoor running! Running inside just doesnt do it for me. I've been running for two years and at this point I just slap in my earbuds, crank some really great music and go :) Most of the people I see on the path are regulars with thier dogs or fellow runners and we all smile and nod as we go by, others I pay no attention to at all. I find that running is also my "meditation" time so I tend to get into a zone and appreciate my surroundings without too much thought aside from how good I feel. I think once you start outdoor running you will find it addictive, take care though because pavement running and treadmill running do feel different and you may end up a little more sore afterward.

THIS ^
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you plan on running on pavement/concrete. I only run outdoors on dirt trails because running on hard surfaces causes injuries for me. The only time I run on hard surfaces is on race day. In the past, training on hard surfaces has led to injuries that kept out of races, so I save the rough stuff for the big event. It's worked well for me so far - no major injuries since. Running outdoors is better than treadmill in my opinion. Treadmill running is boring and it always seems harder - maybe that's just my perception, but it is a fact that my pace is faster and I can go much further outdoors. I think you would enjoy it, but take it easy to start, since your body won't be used to the hard surfaces. I don't know anything about running outdoors at night, but watch your step! :flowerforyou:
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I initially started running on the treadmill too then moved to trails (where no one could see me) and now I just run ... everything. It's a big adjustment to go from a treadmill to well, anything else. Honestly I found outside running easier it's nice to be able to SEE the distance you're running. I only run on roads or sidewalks once a week (usually) I try to run on a high school track most of the time (for my knees sake) it's oddly no different for me than running on a treadmill but it does make my joints feel better and I do fartleks (speed play/ interval running) on the track.

I hated being seen, at first, even wrote a thingy about it - http://leilaface.blogspot.com/2012/05/ill-never-be-that-person.html

How I carry my keys and phone? I dress in layers. The outer layer begin a zip up hoodie with pockets. I put everything in my pockets and then strip down that layer and tie it around my waist. I can still listen to my music, keep my GPS going and hear my keys jingle jangling without having an uncomfortable key in a oddly placed microscopic pocket or a fanny pack (which I am too lazy to buy). Sure I have a sweater tied around my waist but it also hides my ghetto booty.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I put my shoelace through the keyhole on my key (only bring the one I need to get back in the door) and then tie my shoes.

I try to run inside because it's easier on my knees/shins but outside I try to stick to grass/dirt...anything but pavement. It's less shock but you do have to make sure you're on even ground to keep from hurting yourself.

I use an arm band (TuneBand silicone case/strap from Amazon) to hold my phone but I probably wouldn't listen to headphones if you're in a not as safe area.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I run with a running belt. I always have my phone with me when I run. I also run with my dogs which makes me feel safer. See if you can find a friend to run with. It will be safer for you and the companionship helps too.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    REFLECTORS.

Wear them if you go in the morning or late evening.

GOOD SHOES

For the love of your body, invest in good shoes. Otherwise, your shins, and your lower back will complain. Or worse you'll have to get expensive surgery for your body because of cheap chooses. Also. Inserts. Get them. Wear them. Break 'em in. Love them.

KNOW YOUR ROUTE

Is your route safe at the time you want to go? Do you need a buddy with you? Should you go later when there's more light out? Recon your route like a scout in the army would, and make sure it is safe before running it.

DRESS FOR SUCCESS

Yes, even in running. Wearing clothes that you feel comfortable in, and are the right key for the job is the best way to perform your best. It's getting colder, so consider something warmer.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone is saying. Once you run outside the treadmill is going to be so boring. I do still use it but only when I have to. Know that running outside and the treadmill are WAY different though so you are going to feel different and your exertion level is going to feel different.

I never carry water with me. Even on my longer runs (over 8 miles). Sometimes I will drive my route and stash some water but I usually plan a route where there are water fountains along the way. But anything less than 5 miles you really don't need any water unless it is god awful hot.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I only run outside--can't stand the treadmill. Here are some tips I've found helpful, but it may be an individual thing:

1. I don't look up and out when I'm running. I see things too far off and the distance closes too slowly...unmotivating. Instead, I look 5-10 feet in front of me on the road or sidewalk.

2. Make sure you have good running shoes. The roads and sidewalks are a lot harsher a landing plane than a treadmill. Injuries can happen faster.

3. Don't worry about pace. My pace goes up and down and all around when I'm running. There are small inclines outside that you don't typically notice...until you're running them. I tend to take it slower up small hills, even out for a few seconds, then speed it up a little bit again.

4. Anything over an hour--take water. Get a hydration pack, hold a bottle in your hand, whatever.

5. Pay attention to your surroundings! I run on sidewalks and the road, but I listen to music. I NEVER rely on crosswalks--always look around before you cross. Look around if you cross in front of parking lot entrances, side roads, etc.

6. Be slightly cold in your clothing when you go out. You'll warm up fast, and if the sun is shining you'll warm up faster. There may not always be a breeze--I don't know about your gym, but in mine there are fans everywhere. You aren't guaranteed that cool air outside (though you will be if you live somewhere that gets cold in the winter...but in general you know what I mean).

Best of luck! I found that once I started running outside, I can never go back to treadmills...

oh! I run with my phone, too, so I use Runkeeper to track runs. If you run with your smartphone, I recommend getting a running app to track....nothing fancy, a free one works!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I only run outside--can't stand the treadmill. Here are some tips I've found helpful, but it may be an individual thing:

1. I don't look up and out when I'm running. I see things too far off and the distance closes too slowly...unmotivating. Instead, I look 5-10 feet in front of me on the road or sidewalk.

2. Make sure you have good running shoes. The roads and sidewalks are a lot harsher a landing plane than a treadmill. Injuries can happen faster.

3. Don't worry about pace. My pace goes up and down and all around when I'm running. There are small inclines outside that you don't typically notice...until you're running them. I tend to take it slower up small hills, even out for a few seconds, then speed it up a little bit again.

4. Anything over an hour--take water. Get a hydration pack, hold a bottle in your hand, whatever.

5. Pay attention to your surroundings! I run on sidewalks and the road, but I listen to music. I NEVER rely on crosswalks--always look around before you cross. Look around if you cross in front of parking lot entrances, side roads, etc.

6. Be slightly cold in your clothing when you go out. You'll warm up fast, and if the sun is shining you'll warm up faster. There may not always be a breeze--I don't know about your gym, but in mine there are fans everywhere. You aren't guaranteed that cool air outside (though you will be if you live somewhere that gets cold in the winter...but in general you know what I mean).

Best of luck! I found that once I started running outside, I can never go back to treadmills...

oh! I run with my phone, too, so I use Runkeeper to track runs. If you run with your smartphone, I recommend getting a running app to track....nothing fancy, a free one works!

These are great tips. I agree, even though everything I've reads says "look to the horizon", I find that if I do, I'm more likely to trip :P
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

This pretty much sums up what I was going to say.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I take my car key off of my keychain and hook it onto the strap of my sports bra and lock the rest of them inside. It works great! I bring my phone with me to listen to music and I have an app to track my distance/speed on there and I just carry that in my hand. As far as people are concerned, I kind of like it! I find I push myself harder because of them!
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    Did the treadmill many many years ago, but this round is strictly outdoors. I found the pace on the treadmill to be very deceptive compared to my pace outdoors, even back when I was in shape. I had to set the incline up quite a few % to get the same feeling.

I am in a very rural area (no sidewalks, no street lights, 55+mph speed limits, and steep ditches), so I actually started out jogging on the road facing into traffic (ie left hand side of road). Since I was leaving from home, I didn't need a key, and my iPhone was in an armband. Most drivers are very courteous about swinging wide to avoid me.

I've moved to jogging on the local high school tracks now since it's gotten too dark to jog on the road at home. In the evenings the tracks are generally free - will be better once football is over - and there are always other people using the track too, just enough for safety, not enough to be forced to be social..

I have tried jogging in our "city park" (we only have one, and I hesitate to call the town a city plus the trails are not maintained - bad enough I not even trot my horse down them) and apparently there is an alligator problem!!!!!!! I will not jog there towards dusk, I don't care that the trail is elevated when near the water, just having seen TWO alligators dive into the water when I chugged past was enough to cure me of that. I have jogged there in the middle of the day a couple of times, but you really can't "run" the trails - there is a mile that has to be walked simply because the footing is so treacherous. And the signs that reminds people "don't feed the gators" is still off-putting.

At the tracks, I leave my keys on the ground near the gate, where the other runners/walkers leave keys, jackets and water bottles, and just go. The tracks are nicely cushy compared to pavement. It's still kinda embarrassing though that some of those speed walkers lap me while I'm jogging. And they aren't even breathing hard!

At the park, I leave my keys under my car or on top of a tire. The joys of small town living :)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I just got back from my first outdoor run, and I have to tell you...I'm officially a convert! I liked it SO MUCH BETTER than running on a treadmill. I felt like I got a much better workout, and the fresh air made it much easier to steady my breathing, so I never felt like I was going to die during the running intervals, even when I ran up hills. There were other people in the park I went to, but they didn't even notice I was there -- they were too busy doing their own thing! Turns out I was worried over nothing, I'm so glad I took the risk and went for it! I'm definitely doing it this way from now on! :)
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I just got back from my first outdoor run, and I have to tell you...I'm officially a convert! I liked it SO MUCH BETTER than running on a treadmill. I felt like I got a much better workout, and the fresh air made it much easier to steady my breathing, so I never felt like I was going to die during the running intervals, even when I ran up hills. There were other people in the park I went to, but they didn't even notice I was there -- they were too busy doing their own thing! Turns out I was worried over nothing, I'm so glad I took the risk and went for it! I'm definitely doing it this way from now on! :)

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Great Job!