If you're hungry, but don't have enough calories

Options
Hey! So yesterday I had eaten up all my calories for the day and didn't have enough time to do any exercise as I was studying for exams. And my tummy was rumbbbblin, am I supposed to eat something?? or should i stick it outt?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I eat something! Just keep it small and filling. My go to's are usually 1 Tbsp of peanut butter, a 100 calorie pack of natural almonds or a Fiber Plus bar - all 3 are about 100 calories and being that little bit over your goals once in a while shouldn't effect your weight loss. Try to keep healthy things like this around just in case. Also try upping your protein and fiber intake as both of these will help keep you full longer. Nothing wrong with carbs but I find they can end up leaving me hungry if I use too many of my calorie on high carbs foods instead of high protein foods.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like to eat egg beaters if I'm looking for something to fill me up. You can have a lot for not a whole lot of calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you can't make it through a day on your budget without exercise then you've probably got it set too low or you're making bad food choices that aren't keeping you satiated.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    I think it would be ok to eat something. Perhaps a piece of fruit or something low cal.
  • Delabud
    Delabud Posts: 10
    Options
    I usually eat keep some low cal biscuits or a banana . 3 biscuits are 100 calories and fill me up and the small banana is 100 calories . Hope that helps . I find if i deny myself I only think about the food more lol!!!
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a bottle of water and see if it goes away. BUT...last night I was still hungry after dinner but wanted to stay under my calories so I ate a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and it was surprisingly satisfying! It had about 5g of fiber so I couldn't say no. :smile:
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Consider upping your calories. 1250 is pretty low in general. I mean it can work for some, but I don't know if eating that little bit of calories is required. Search "in place of a road map", the ever quoted thread on here. It is really helpful and makes a ton of sense. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. (not implying that you are). I just mean that you don't have to restrict so much.

What is your height, weight, and body fat %? I see that you are 19 y.o.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is this...if I end up starving myself, I'm not going to be able to maintain a life style doing this. I try to plan and pick food that will fill me up throughout the day, however, there are those times where at the end of it all, I don't have many calories, if any, left and I'm still "starving." In cases like that, I eat. I try to find something that's low cal but filling. If I end up depriving myself then I'm more likely to give in and stuff my face. I like to keep "just in case" food handy where I can grab a quick snack and get filled up and not have to go hunting for something that I will end up regretting later.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body. If I am hungry I eat something that is low calories but fills me up.
  • heidibowling
    heidibowling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If I'm still hungry at the end of the day, I usually drink 1-2 big cold glasses of water and sit on that for awhile to see if maybe I was just thirsty. But if you're still starving, you could crack open a can of green beans or cook up some broccoli or carrots- I feel like veggies you can eat the hell out of (especially green beans) and never have anything to worry about calorie-wise. They still might make you go over calories, but only by 10-20 calories, and they are still super healthy and can give you extra nutrients that you may have missed in your diet that day. It's always better to eat a little when you're for real hungry than to starve yourself, feel like crap, and then eventually binge on something ridiculous later. That's what happens to me if I don't eat when I'm for real hungry. Plus- maybe you did more that day exercise-wise than you thought you did and that's why your body is still hungry. You may have a faster metabolism than you thought at first and you may just need to eat a slightly higher calorie amount to lose weight anyway. You won't lose anything if your body things it's starving.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Eat but eat healthy. If it happens often perhaps you should re-evaluate your goal. Is it to aggressive? Everybody wants to set it for 2lbs loss a week but then gets discouraged when they are hungry all the time and or not losing 2lbs a week. You probably didn't gain the weight at 2lbs a week, taking it off that fast is difficult especially the closer you get to your healthy weight.

If you find your often going up against your calorie cap and still hungry look at what your eating. Try to cut back on fast foods and processed foods. Eat more vegetables, fruits, and fiber. Make sure your measuring or weighing everything. Some people say if it fits in your calorie budget that it doesn't matter. For me that doesn't work. Junk food leaves me hungry. I could eat a whole bag of Doritos, 3/4 of my calories for the day and I'd still be hungry.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Consider upping your calories. 1250 is pretty low in general. I mean it can work for some, but I don't know if eating that little bit of calories is required. Search "in place of a road map", the ever quoted thread on here. It is really helpful and makes a ton of sense. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. (not implying that you are). I just mean that you don't have to restrict so much.

What is your height, weight, and body fat %? I see that you are 19 y.o.

^^This

A young active man (or woman, I just looked at your profile) should be able to go over 1250 calories. Eat some protein when you're hungry.
  • JacquiN90
    Options
    I agree with the others, a piece of fruit, for example a small banana will fill you up and is very low in calories :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on the fact that your calorie goal is at 1250 and you only have 11 ish lbs to lose, I am assuming you are over extending your per week weight loss goal. With that little to lose, set your account to 1/2lb per week (as shown below). The closer to a normal weight, the more you need to eat otherwise you will increase the chances of your body catabolizing your lean body mass for energy. Once you are done exams, if you are exercising 5-6 days a week, I can guarantee you that you can eat 1700+ calories and still lose weight, unless you have a metabolic issue.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • dukeninja
    dukeninja Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds followed by a glass of water should make you feel satiated.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it is this...if I end up starving myself, I'm not going to be able to maintain a life style doing this. I try to plan and pick food that will fill me up throughout the day, however, there are those times where at the end of it all, I don't have many calories, if any, left and I'm still "starving." In cases like that, I eat. I try to find something that's low cal but filling. If I end up depriving myself then I'm more likely to give in and stuff my face. I like to keep "just in case" food handy where I can grab a quick snack and get filled up and not have to go hunting for something that I will end up regretting later.

This is some of the best advice I've seen on these forums. As the saying - pertaining to the question of what the best diet/exercise program is - goes, "the one you'll stick to."

In addition, your stomach rumbling is your body's way of telling you it needs something. As others have mentioned, keep something relatively low-cal around, if necessary. It may be carrot sticks or celery or something similar. Whatever it is, eat a little bit and drink a glass of water. Wait 10-15 minutes and see if your hunger goes away.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    a large carrot is very satisfying at 20 or so calories. it fills you up (well me up) for a good 2 hours or so. low calories high satisfaction.