Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein, Lactose Intolerant, Vegetarian

I know there's probably 20 million topics on this already, but I recently noticed that my protein macro was really, really low, so I changed it (drastically) to 30% and I can't seem to get even close, I am a partially lactose intolerant, vegetarian, and I often don't feel very good after eggs. I also really want to minimize/ stay away from supplementation because I have a lot of medications and a few thyroid issues that haven't been fully diagnosed yet.. any ideas are awesome, thanks !

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I know there's probably 20 million topics on this already, but I recently noticed that my protein macro was really, really low, so I changed it (drastically) to 30% and I can't seem to get even close, I am a partially lactose intolerant, vegetarian, and I often don't feel very good after eggs. I also really want to minimize/ stay away from supplementation because I have a lot of medications and a few thyroid issues that haven't been fully diagnosed yet.. any ideas are awesome, thanks !

Any way you would reconsider the supplements? Soy protein shakes is one way to get in adequate protein. Other than that, it will probably been need to be acquired through beans or peanut butter. Protein is critical to the diet.

Not that I want to persuade you, but any chance you would become a little more lax on the vegetarian thing, maybe open it up to fish? If you have a thyroid issue (especially one with insulin resistances) meat/protein is generally critical as you will need to maintain a lower carb diet (generally sub 100g)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    That... doesn't leave you with a lot. Tempeh, tofu, beans/peas, nuts (love those almonds!), greens (broccoli has a surprising amount of protein) - but all of those will also fill up your carb allotment pretty quickly.

I don't know your health issues, but there are protein powders that are soy- and gluten- free - hemp and pea both have great amino acid profiles and can up your protein quickly. Vega sport has a great line of protein powders/shakes/bars, but they are around $3/serving. I just buy the unflavored powders and put them in things, which generally works out to be $1/serving.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    1/2 cup (dry) green mung beans provide at least 30g of protein and are dirt cheap at Asian markets - like $2 for 4-8 servings. Unfortunately, I don't eat them often because lately beans leave me really bloated. You can do all the examples people recommended as well and you shouldn't have any trouble getting 100 g of protein or more. If you do protein powder, and are only partially lactose intolerant, then you really don't have many restrictions - even whey protein is fine as long as you get the isolate form.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I believe (but could be wrong here) that whey protein powder is actually often OK for lactose intolerant folks so you could try that.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Don't know where you live but in the UK major supermarkets stock lactose free milk and cheese.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Hi:flowerforyou:
    I'm vegetarian too and although I love my cheese and yogurt I like to get my proteins from beans and pulses
    I love chickpeas and kidney beans and they are pretty high in proteins!
    Another stuff i am addicted to these days is TVP (texturized vegetable proteins) sometimes known as soya nuggets/chunks
    Just a 100g of this will give you 50g of protein
    You need to rehydrate it before use, so pop in a cup in some hot water+salt
    I like to toss them with some spices and tomato ketchup :love: