Cycling carbs for FAST WEIGHT LOSS? Need input!

Options

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was asked for references from the book. The book describes how it works. These are 10% of the references from the book. I don't believe that controlled studies exist to prove or disprove the difference between applying CBL versus a simple carb deficit since this book has only been around a year or so.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I was asked for references from the book. The book describes how it works. These are 10% of the references from the book. I don't believe that controlled studies exist to prove or disprove the difference between applying CBL versus a simple carb deficit since this book has only been around a year or so.

And the issue is, there is none that proves it either.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    FWIW - I am not aware of any studies that show any appreciable difference between carb cycling and not. That being said, many people will carb cycle to provide energy for their workouts (as opposed to using it for fat loss per se).

There is some evidence, compelling but not conclusive, to suggest that there may be some benefit to having more carbs at night - which is not carb cycling. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

I'm aware of that one, drives the "no carbs at night" folks nuts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    FWIW - I am not aware of any studies that show any appreciable difference between carb cycling and not. That being said, many people will carb cycle to provide energy for their workouts (as opposed to using it for fat loss per se).

There is some evidence, compelling but not conclusive, to suggest that there may be some benefit to having more carbs at night - which is not carb cycling. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

I know....doesn't it!! :bigsmile:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    i always zig-zag, I actually never realized I have always done it until I started to log my food on here (I have been slacking)
    I can say, for me, it works. I told a co worker about that, he now does it and sees it working for him.

I just imagine you running through a carb minefield, zigzagging, trying to dodge crouton bullets.

You can do it! Keep moving!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

The concept of carb cycling has been around since the early 80's, at least. Yet there are still no RCT's showing it's superiority. That should tell you something, eh?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am considering following something pretty similar to Jamie Lewis's Apex Predator Diet because that's basically how I eat already, with slightly more structure.

Different diet protocols can have a huge impact on how someone feels (ie if my wife were to go on a ketogenic diet, I could kiss any chance of EVER getting laid again goodbye...and she'd probably stab me in the eye socket...through my belly button). That reaction to a diet has a huge impact on someone's ability to stick with it and be successful.

1) Find a diet that's not idiotic
    2) Confirm it meets your basic caloric and nutrient needs
    3) Confirm it would adequately suit your lifestyle
    4) Try it out and see how you feel and if you're making progress -> If good continue and see (4) in a month, if not see (1)

Until you get very lean just about any reasonably intelligent diet will work (and by the time you're lean enough to be worrying about those minutiae you'll likely know your body well enough not to be asking about it here).
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options

The concept of carb cycling has been around since the early 80's, at least. Yet there are still no RCT's showing it's superiority. That should tell you something, eh?

I'll just keep implementing the plan. 7/1/2012 I was 215, my avatar is from yesterday at 186. PR's in squat, DL, and push press while down 29 lbs in 4 months. Bench is down from 345 to 335, but I think that's pretty good considering the weight loss's effect on the leverages.

I don't think carb cycling makes much difference if all you care about is the number on the scale, but there's plenty of experience in the BB community to see how it works for a lot of people with the goal of preserving muscle mass while dieting down or gaining muscle mass while limiting fat gain.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i always zig-zag, I actually never realized I have always done it until I started to log my food on here (I have been slacking)
    I can say, for me, it works. I told a co worker about that, he now does it and sees it working for him.

I just imagine you running through a carb minefield, zigzagging, trying to dodge crouton bullets.

You can do it! Keep moving!
    LMAO
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I'll just keep implementing the plan. 7/1/2012 I was 215, my avatar is from yesterday at 186. PR's in squat, DL, and push press while down 29 lbs in 4 months. Bench is down from 345 to 335, but I think that's pretty good considering the weight loss's effect on the leverages.

I don't think carb cycling makes much difference if all you care about is the number on the scale, but there's plenty of experience in the BB community to see how it works for a lot of people with the goal of preserving muscle mass while dieting down or gaining muscle mass while limiting fat gain.

You are of course assuming that the OP is actually lifting weights here.
  • rml_16
    Options

The funny thing is, there is also a study I read about not long ago that says just the opposite.

And that is why I just eat what I want when I want. I got tired of trying to keep up with it all!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

I've never said that it didn't work. If you like it and you're seeing results, you should absolutely keep at it.

My only point is that there's no evidence to say it's superior, other than anecdotal evidence, which is the weakest form of evidence you could present.
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options

Carb Nite was originally designed for non-lifters. I just showed her some places to find information on what she asked about.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The funny thing is, there is also a study I read about not long ago that says just the opposite.

And that is why I just eat what I want when I want. I got tired of trying to keep up with it all!

Not a bad approach at all to have - I do it too. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be!

Although, I would be interested in seeing the study you are referring to for my own edification.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Carb Nite was originally designed for non-lifters. I just showed her some places to find information on what she asked about.

I was referring to your point about it being beneficial for lifting performance (which I actually do not disagree with).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

You just have to keep it in perspective. I've never quoted it to try to prove that carbs at night was superior, but it certainly suggests that they won't make you fat
  • rml_16
    Options

Carb Nite was originally designed for non-lifters.

In THAT case, then let me tell you this: I lost more weight in a shorter period of time than you did and I wasn't carb cycling AND I'm a woman AND I started out weighing far less than your start weight.
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options

I was referring to your point about it being beneficial for lifting performance (which I actually do not disagree with).

Sorry if you took it that way. I didn't mean to make that point. My observation on lifting performance is that I (see I, not everybody) lift better on CBL, OK on CNS, terribly on ULC, and OK on simple calorie restriction (and of course, WONDERFULLY on the SEE FOOD diet :) ).
  • rml_16
    Options

Not a bad approach at all to have - I do it too. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be!

Although, I would be interested in seeing the study you are referring to for my own edification.

I would point you to it, but I read about it in a fitness magazine probably a year or more ago and can't remember details anymore.

I'm pretty sure it was probably the same magazine that said you should eat them at night, which makes me even more determined to just find what works for me and leave it at that. It's so exhausting! lol
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options

Carb Nite was originally designed for non-lifters.

In THAT case, then let me tell you this: I lost more weight in a shorter period of time than you did and I wasn't carb cycling AND I'm a woman AND I started out weighing far less than your start weight.

Congrats. If I were competing with you in that regard I'd probably have to cut out a glute. My goal was not to make the number on the scale smaller, but the number that came out of the bod pod BF% test smaller while preserving strength and muscle mass.