Why define yourself by a clothing size?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

I guess I just wonder why you'd go around telling people what size you are? There's a reason the size is marked on the inside instead of written right across the butt LOL

Now that's CLASSIC!!!! BRAVO!!! :drinker:
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree that it should not define you and that it can vary greatly depending on several things. However for me it is a wonderful thing to be able to say I bought a pair of size 8 jeans and they fit! Becasue when I was a tight size 16 that was not a fun size to brag about. I know that not every pair of size 8 pants will fit but for today this pair does and I'm rocking it and feeling GREAT. I alomst wish I could wear my tag on the outside.

What she said. My clothing size doesn't define me but it feels great to know that the ultra skinny size 10 jeans I got 3 weeks ago now fits like a baggy. Since I always use the same brand I can let the tag define my weight loss. Also sometimes the inches loss aren't convertible in to pounds. You have lost an inch but the scale says you are same weight as last week. But you have been srength training and gaining muscle as you lose fat. It may not show on the scale but it sure shows in the way your clothes fit.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Dress size in the UK is not standardized, it is not meant to be, nor are there any plans to standardize it. However, rule of thumb is, expensive shops give vanity sizing, high street shops tend to be somewhere in the same vacinity as each other, and independant shops are like woah... Which is why at my best I could get into a size 6 at some shops and only a size 12 in primark jeans :P which tended to fall down to my ankles after one wash lol
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Dress size in the UK is not standardized, it is not meant to be, nor are there any plans to standardize it. However, rule of thumb is, expensive shops give vanity sizing

That's interesting! In the US it seems like the less expensive retailers (Old Navy) tend toward vanity sizing, and the high-end retailers don't even bother selling clothing above a certain size.

(I do realize that Old Navy and Banana Republic are the same company)
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 2, 4, 6, 8, 5, 7, 9 and sometimes 11. :indifferent:

When shopping, I grab the size I think I am, the size above, and the size below, and I'll buy whatever fits and flatters. No one can see that tag but me.

^^^ THIS.

I buy whatever size makes my butt look good. :tongue:
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I buy whatever size makes my butt look good. :tongue:

Your butt would find a way to make a potato sack look good
  • donteatmycookie
    donteatmycookie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dress size in the UK is not standardized, it is not meant to be, nor are there any plans to standardize it. However, rule of thumb is, expensive shops give vanity sizing

That's interesting! In the US it seems like the less expensive retailers (Old Navy) tend toward vanity sizing, and the high-end retailers don't even bother selling clothing above a certain size.

Everything is GAP, always.
  • secretlobster
    Options

Every pair of pants is THIGH GAP pants
  • donteatmycookie
    donteatmycookie Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Every pair of pants is THIGH GAP pants

All of my pants are THIGH GAP and NO *kitten* pants.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    "Hello....welcome to Abercrombie...we have size Small, Extra Small, and Anorexic."
  • secretlobster
    Options
    "Hello....welcome to Abercrombie...we have size Small, Extra Small, and Anorexic."

See I can understand Abercrombie's sizing models because their clothing is meant for preteens before they grow woman hips :P
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    This is why I get jealous of men's pants sizing. Theoretically I could measure my husband's inseam and waist and get a pair of pants that fit him. In reality though, I'm not his mom. He can pick out his own big boy clothes.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I think for a lot of women that are obese/overweight, it is the difference in shopping the in plus size section to the regular, at least for me it was. I was super excited when I could start shopping in the regular womens department.

Now I just use it for the mere fact, the more I lose the lower it goes :) I don't have an ideal size in mind, I would be happy with any size as long as I am looking good lol
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    ... I would be happy with any size as long as I am looking good lol

Yes!!

I go by measurements and body fat %. I'd always have to be careful on the cut of the dress and pants rise.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Becasue when I was a tight size 16 that was not a fun size to brag about.

I guess I just wonder why you'd go around telling people what size you are? There's a reason the size is marked on the inside instead of written right across the butt LOL

This just about made me die.

"Hi, I'm Mary. Pleased to meet you."

"HELLO I'm 16 PETITE................... PLEASE LOVE ME."

"......"
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Banana Republic sizing is way off. I fit in their small size shirts when I had 40 pounds more on me.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I think for a lot of women that are obese/overweight, it is the difference in shopping the in plus size section to the regular, at least for me it was. I was super excited when I could start shopping in the regular womens department.

Now I just use it for the mere fact, the more I lose the lower it goes :) I don't have an ideal size in mind, I would be happy with any size as long as I am looking good lol

This is true for me, I'm just about shopping at normal size shops now so its more that than the actual size :)