Rest Days..Important or not?

Options

Replies

• cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    at first I didn't take rest days and I ended up overtrained my body which is sooooo bad and can make you go on a rest WEEK! and here I'm on a rest day!
  • llayc013
    Options
    yes over training is the worse thing to do....
    at first I didn't take rest days and I ended up overtrained my body which is sooooo bad and can make you go on a rest WEEK! and here I'm on a rest day!
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think I see the most change in my body when I rest. I try to rest at least once a week, but if my body is begging for more, then I give it more. Listening to your body is the most important. You'll learn when you really do need a break or if your body is just trying to be lazy. =D
  • parissimone72
    parissimone72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do arms (strength training) Monday with cardio, legs Tuesday with cardio, Wed cardio and then start over on Thursday and Fri to include strength training.

I will do a some walking on the weekends

27273567.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can only train as hard as you can rest.

True story.

Listen to this and take note ^^^^^^
  • majikkan
    majikkan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    In my experience, recovery days are just as important as the days you don't rest. In the past, I've been known to train 6 days a week. I found that I made the strongest gains when I got off that crazy train and took a full week off.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important to help prevent injury.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Rest and recovery days; If you don't feel that you need them- then- you are probably not training enough.

Rest and recovery day does not have to be totally inactive. On a non running day, for example, you can practice "active recovery" by taking a long walk. Also that day can be a cross training day; ex; upper body strength training.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can rest when you're dead!

Just kidding, sort of. Listen to your body, rest as needed.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are important. I made the mistake of pushing myself really hard at the beginning of my half marathon training and paid the price for it! I was out for almost 3 weeks! Train smart, listen to your body, and rest! :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Do you think rest days are important?

Should you/ do you take them or are they just a waste of time?

And if you do take them, how often in a week do you take rest days?
    And what do you do on your rest day(s)? Absolutely nothing? Or if you do something, what do you do on your rest days?

Rest days are absolutely important and part of the strength building process. I usually take one once a week, but really it depends. I listen to my body and take them when needed. There is a difference between "I don't feel like it" and "I need rest". Once you know the feeling of fatigue then you know when to take the breaks. Depending on what I do I might go 3 days hard in the gym (usually pyramid workouts) and need a break, other times it is once a week, other times I can go longer. It's all about learning to listen to your body.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i work out everyday i find you dont need rest days if you target different muscle groups every day...

mondays back and chest

tuesdays legs

wednesday biceps triceps and chest

thursdays legs

friday shoulders and chest

saturday classes

sunday boot camp class
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my rest days. Usually one a week, more if absolutely necessary.

I'm usually still fairly active, but rather than my typical running or lifting, I might go for a 2-3 mile hike instead. Tomorrow, I'll be shambling at a slow pace for a zombie walk.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    Rest days are important and I will also take a rest week every few months!! The rest week will only be a week off of something specific like resistance or cardio though. Once I took off a week with no exercise and the extra energy kept me awake all night... it was crazy haha.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Important. I think of them as sharpening the saw. The short version is, a woodcutter works hard each day cutting the lumber in order to bring in money. Over time, the saw becomes dull, therefore causing the woodcutter to work harder and longer to cut the same amount of wood. He takes a day off to rest his muscles and to sharpen his saw. When he goes back to work, he is operating at peak efficiency again.

Just like sharpening the saw, rest days allow the muscles to recover, to rebuild, and for you to rebuild your spent energy stores. Sure you could keep trudging along, but you increase your chance of injury or burning out of your program the longer you go.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I take at least one day off a week, I can just tell when my body needs it, sometimes 2 days in a row once a month, they are important for sure.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have rest days, 2 a week. The rest of the week I lift(alternating parts) and run and do some classes. On rest days I only do a little stretching. :)
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are important. However even if I didn't, due to having migraines, I'm usually forced to take several rest days when I don't want to. :\ (usually I can get a walk in or something though)