Results? 5'4 165ish, when did you start seeing results?

shannonmch
shannonmch Posts: 194 Member
I am 5'4 and 165#'s. I am wondering how long it took any of y'all w/ similar stats to start truely noticing results w/ heavy lifting and cardio. I was consistently lifting back in the spring when my "chubby buddy" (my best friend that was trying to lose wt too!) and I were going to the gym at 5am 4 days a wk. She was unable to continue in May d/t her husband's schedule and I quit going so religously. I was beginning to see some results, but my eating wasn't great then either. Now, I'm trying to combine the lifting, cardio and clean eating and just curious how long it took others to see some noticeable results?
Thanks so much y'all :)
Shannon

Replies

• rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Bump
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    I don't lift, but I probably should, take your measurements and take photos. I didn't notice until I was looking at old photos of myself. Big difference in my face between 190 and now. I was in the mindset that I wasn't seeing the scale move much, but I was definitely losing inches...
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Hey,

My answer might not be perfect for your situation, since I'm 5'4" and started at 190lb. I don't do the classic heavy lifting (only because I can't, yet). I benchpress 12kg and use 6kg dumbbells.

BUT for my 2 cents:

Kickstarted the diet & exercise mid-winter by joining a gym and going low carb for four weeks. The gym plan:
    30 mins cardio (any kind), 30 mins weights.

Results on the scale were evident by week 3 and by week 4, my jeans were noticebly looser. Some of this is due to extra water-loss from low carb, but I've since ignored that and continued to lose weight anyway. People commented on it from Week 6, by which time the jeans were practially falling off. At Week 9, I got remeasured and had gone from 42% to 33% body fat.

Shoulder definition came in almost immediately. It took more like 8 weeks before I could keep up with a whole Pulse exercise class, and developed biceps / triceps under the layer of chubbiness. Now I'm 16 weeks in. You can see the shadow of muscles when I carry stuff, but not when I'm casually sitting around. I'm lifting between 1.5 and 3 times as much weight as I could in Week 1.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    I'm 5'4 and 155, starting from around 200 highest weight. What do you mean necessarily by results? When people started commenting that I looked smaller, I was around 180, and even still, people are commenting on how small I've gotten. I haven't lost any serious weight since June, but when I went back to school this year, all my colleagues swore up and down that I looked skinnier. When I was able to go to the gym, I did a lot of heavy lifting, now I do the 30 Day Shred and I've lost inches doing that, it's given somewhat noticeable results.

But, if you want the pretty, "toned" fit look that lifting gives you, you have to drop body fat, which just takes time even with proper diet and exercise. I started around 40% and now I'm at 31%, and I'd need to be 25% at most to look how I'd like. All you can really do is keep doing what you're doing and it will come off...i know it sucks, but patience is the key here.
  • shannonmch
    shannonmch Posts: 194 Member
    Thanks yall!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!