Avoiding a particular food item?

Options
2»

Replies

• namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Used to be oatmeal - was in a school event in 4th grade on stage and had to get off ASAP when my stomach decided it no longer wanted the oatmeal I had for breakfast. Took me a LONG time to eat it after that, even though I knew later it was because I had mono, not due to the food.
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Onions. Don't like the smell, don't like the taste.

Liver. No thanks.

Chunks of garlic. For seasoning, it's great in powder form. But chunks of it and I pass.

For the longest time, it was american cheese in slices. One time at the grocery store (when I was really little) the lady behind the deli counter gave me a piece of cheese. I ate it and found a hair in my mouth. Ugh. For years, I refused to eat sliced American cheese. I didn't stop with my vendetta against it until a few years ago. I eat it now. But I inspect it for any hairs first! :laugh:
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of things I avoid but have never had...like all the awful pieces of an animal haha. But that I have eaten and will never eat again
    brussel sprouts
    scallops

both make me throw up. Even if I smell them. ew.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I went to HEB the other day and there was a great big fresh cow tongue. Nope. Not gonna buy it, cook it, eat it or ever touch a person that would.

ETA: Rocky Mountain Oysters as well.
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Olives! Never have liked the taste - I will pick them off though.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Seafood. Shrimp, oysters, crawfish, and every type of fish. Did I mention I live in south Louisiana? It's sacrilege.

I would be SCREWED if I ended up on a deserted island.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    No organ meats--especially kidneys & liver. I know what their function is in the body. Yuck.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The innards that others have said. Pretty much anything fron an animal that looks like an animal. I'm not a veggie, but I just find most meats to look so disgusting.

As for "normal" foods - mushrooms. Bleugh.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious.

Is there any food item that you would avoid at all costs? Like... you would rather go hungry than eat this one item? And why?

For me, it is hot dogs. When I was little, my mom got me a hot dog at a carnvial type event. When I bit into it, it was stuffed with GLASS. It shredded my mouth to pieces. I haven't touched a hot dog since. No matter how much someone tries to force it on me.

That is awful. Hoof, snout, rectum, and now glass! I was at a taco bell once a few years ago getting a soda inside and saw someone bring back their (eating inside) burrito that had a wad of hair in it. It looked like someone just cleaned out their hairbrush and put it into a burrito just for fun. I also knew someone who worked at Jack in the Box 30 years ago. He said he worked there for one day and quit. It seems a "pissed off" male co-woker peed in the "secret sauce" as a joke and to give it a real secret. My friend said he never ate fast food again. I gave it up as unhealthy for me years ago and this cinched the deal for me.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Ramen is ****ing repulsive to me. Um, vienna sausages are also puke-worthy. I also am disgusted by cow's milk (or any animal's milk) because of the million things that are wrong about it (but I still eat cheese on occassion, *shrugs*). Practically anything from taco Bell is gross to me now too (except MAYBE their chicken burritos).

I think that's all I can think of.

Edit: I second whoever said organ meats and mushrooms.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Anything that is breaded+fried. Also French fries.

Moderation is indeed key, but the trouble with these two things is that they are SO packed with calories, it is difficult to get proper nutrition when HALF my daily calories go to an item with almost no nutritional value.
    I second the french fry thing. I'll get a cheeseburger once in a blue moon, but the fries are just a huge, empty, waste of calories to me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat dog food than to eat:

Tofu
    sauerkraut
    cabbage
    braunschweiger

There are other foods that I would rather not eat, but these are foods that just really make me sick if I see them or smell them.

Hmm, I wouldn't even have thought tofu had much of a smell. It's so tasteless.
  • mrslachance
    Options
    Lamb. Can't stand the smell, the texture or the taste. Grosses me out. Same with ribs, any type of ribs. Unfortunately this is my family's christmas dinner!
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, for my mom's birthday, we went to a fondue restaurant. The flu hit me while we were at the restaurant and to this day I can't stand the smell of fondue. It's been a while, however, and I want to try to go back, but I'm seriously scared to go into a fondue restaurant.

I also hate: mushrooms, blue cheese, and fishy fish. I also don't eat plain liver, but I love me some liver pate. Maybe because it doesn't look like an organ and t tricks my brain.
  • foremaar012
    Options
    eggs
    besides scrambled with lots of cheese and hot sauce and a turkey slice....i've tried to overcome this for years but i just cant get passed it.