Help! I can't stop snacking!

Options
So I'm having the most difficulty time refraining from snacking. I honestly believe it has to do with anxiety. Every time I feel the least bit antsy or nervous I feel the urge to snack. I snack at work when time is dragging on and I'm anxious about leaving, I snack when I get home. I live alone and while I'm not afraid of being there alone I do feel anxious sometimes. I really need some help resisting the urge to do this! Does anyone have any advice. I don't like being this way.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you're snacking on and whether or not you're staying within your caloric goals it might not be as big a problem as you think .

Keep healthy snack handy, if you get the urge to snack grab a handful of baby carrots, low calories, high fibre and crunchy (should satisfy the desire to chew on something).

Even better, find ways to keep your mind occupied. The old adage about idle hands being the devil's playground is very true. Learn to play a musical instrument, take up knitting, join a book club; something, anything to keep your hands and mind busy and you'll find the problem just about disappears by itself.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Gum. Celery. Raw spinach.
  • uprightashley
    uprightashley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ya'll. Its mostly been pretty healthy but I still don't like that fact that I do it because its makes my calories go over by 100 every day. Most of the time its stuff like yogurt or a banana or dried fruit.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Plan it.

This is a serious suggestion. Have some healthy, very low calorie snacks available, then plan your meals to allow for enough extra calories to eat said snack. I plan my eating every day to include several snacks, but since it's in the plan there's no stress and no guilt.

This, by the way, is why I think the "many small meals" approach works for some people. Not some mysterious metabolism ooga-booga but because for folks like us it cuts down on the 'off plan' calories.
  • Mamatano
    Mamatano Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Really good idea
    Plan it.

This is a serious suggestion. Have some healthy, very low calorie snacks available, then plan your meals to allow for enough extra calories to eat said snack. I plan my eating every day to include several snacks, but since it's in the plan there's no stress and no guilt.

This, by the way, is why I think the "many small meals" approach works for some people. Not some mysterious metabolism ooga-booga but because for folks like us it cuts down on the 'off plan' calories.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Not some mysterious metabolism ooga-booga but because for folks like us it cuts down on the 'off plan' calories.

That's great. Love it. Congrats on your loss!!

To the OP: Have you looked into meditation or yoga to help with your anxiety? Could be useful...
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I was an all-day snacker, and I ate meals, too.

I've banished snacking from my life. Nothing between meals (4 per day) but water. "You can wait," I tell myself all the time. And turns out I CAN wait.

So can you. You are in control of what you put or don't put into your mouth. Truly, you are.

(PS: I'm not 100% on this yet. It's especially hard when I'm putting away leftovers. There's this hand-to-mouth reflex I'm doing my best to break.)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Have guilt free snacks readily available. Fruit, Veggies, air-pop popcorn. Before you have a snack slowly drink a glass of cold water and relax. Give your body time to determine whether you are really hungry or just needed to wind down.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try doing something with your hands to keep busy, like crafting. I like making jewelry and dream catchers. Sometimes when I am antsy will go brush the dog and give him a massage. I think I benefit from that more than him!

I like eating when I watch my tv at night so I plan my 4th meal then.

Looked at your diary, are you exercising at all? Because I do eat some of my exercise calories and it helps alot. Am still losing weight every week, usually around 1.5 lbs. I would love to lose faster but I am going to be content with the 1.5. Didn't gain the weight in a few months so its going to take a while to get off. Just make a goal of logging on daily works for me. I know I have to put that food down on my log, I still cheat... had pizza last night...sigh. But my calories were ok.

Over all I am doing so much better than before I started this. I use to eat so much, only 2 meals a day but dang that was a lot of food. Am so thankful my friend got me onto this!

Hang in there. you are a glorious work in progress!

Christine
  • sjwright66
    Options
    If you like tea then whenever you get the urge to snack then brew some! :) But yogurt (especially nonfat yogurt) and bananas and dried fruit really won't hurt you, if you keep it portion controlled. ;) Baby carrots, apples, grapes, and strawberries are good too. Just make sure you keep it portion controlled. ;)
  • brigettebayne
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... I can't help but snack! If I'm not in the absolute best of moods, I'm eating... but I read some of the advice that others gave you, and I think I will try to follow them myself. I've only been tracking for 13 days now, but I know that it's helping! Thank you everyone
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you are always snacking at work I have a couple tips. One is if the snacks are bad just don't have them around you. Clean out you desk or office space. If your snacks are "healthy" as one other person mentioned make sure that you are tracking them b/c even with "healthy" snacks, if you have too many of them you will gain weight. Make sure you track them all the way. One thing I do is when I have the urge to snack I will just drink a large glass of water quickly. It helps fill me up. Finally, always a good way is to break your concentration on snacking. Get up and walk around your office, make a quick phone call or do anything that will take your mind off of the snacking for the moment.
  • thinflower_punk
    Options
    there's nothing terribly wrong with snacking as long as you've got low calorie healthy things to snack on. like if you were constantly snacking all day, but it was on slices of cucumber and carrots and stuff like that, then there's nothing to worry about! so just keep foods like that handy.
  • keepsakesbyconny
    keepsakesbyconny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a full bottle of water everytime you get the urge to snack. That helps me alot.. BUT sometimes even after I drink my water I still MUST have my snack! :smile:
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I plan on at least 3 snacks a day. I fit this into a 1200 cal daily diet usually 100 - 200 cal snack. Even when I eat the snack, I always want more, but since I count calories I know I have had enough. The math number tells me this and I know that even if I feel hungry I am not "starving". My best strategies are removing myself from the environment(different room, activity, or look at my "to do "list). I use a bible based strength of prayer to combat temptation.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    snacking is not that bad afterall.Im allowed 1800 calories a day I split that to 7 meals(400 cals breakfast,400 cals lunch and the rest split into smaller meals) -i eat almost every 2-3 hours.
    breakfast can be an egg with some oatmela,snack1-carrots and hummus,lunch-chicken wrap,snack 2-greek yogurt,snack 3(also preworkout)-a slice of bread with peanut butter,snack 4(post workout) a shake and a fruit,dinner is something light a wrap with veggies or a soup or salad(cos i cant sleep on a heavy tummy).
    as long as you can plan your meals ahead,snacking wont hinder your weight loss.