Thoughts on people who eat so much yet stay skinny

Options
I'm the kind of person who gains and loses weight quite easily, but of course, losing is relatively harder cos you need to work you *kitten* up.

I mean, some of them might not be necessarily healthy, but do you feel jealous of them? Do you wish you can just eat and eat and eat without gaining a single pound (which, of course, does not translate to being healthy)?

Just though of this a while ago, and I'd like to know what ya'll think.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    People who seem to eat what they want without gaining are either:
    1. Very, very active
    2. Not eating as much as you think

Example for #1 - my dad eats tons. But he never sits down. He has a physical job, is constantly moving, working on projects until it's bedtime, etc. He can eat a lot because his TDEE is high.

Example for #2 - A friend that packs away the food when we are out to dinner. But what I don't see is that she eats salad for lunch and yogurt for breakfast and very rarely snacks. She can eat what she wants in certain situations because she eats in moderation the rest of the time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1. Very, very active

^ This, exactly.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    People that seem to eat whatever they want are just illusionists.

As mentioned...

1. Highly active individuals
    2. You catch them eating their ONE full meal a day or maybe two meals. (They do not gorge themselves ALL day)
    3. They are also NOT trying to lose weight.

Many of us have a 500 calorie a day deficit as we try to lose weight. But those that are maintaining or even trying to gain, must eat more. So, after months and months and maybe YEARS of eating a deficit, many of us see someone maintaining and think they eat SO much!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    K...but what about my husband, who can easily eat McDonald's (or similar) every day (and sometimes does), snacks like crazy on chips, chocolate and at LEAST a can of Coke a day....and has a sit down at a desk/in his car job......but is still super skinny! I KNOW he eats plenty, and that it's not healthy (because he is so boring to cook for...hates almost all veggies and he's so stubborn he won't try new stuff). I wish I had his metabolism or whatever it is....but I would still take care of myself and keep healthy.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm the kind of person who gains and loses weight quite easily, but of course, losing is relatively harder cos you need to work you *kitten* up.

I mean, some of them might not be necessarily healthy, but do you feel jealous of them? Do you wish you can just eat and eat and eat without gaining a single pound (which, of course, does not translate to being healthy)?

Yup for me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

I am debt free and I never want to go into debt ever again!!!! So, now when I go to social events I can eat what I want. I know I might have to eat a little less the week before and the week after. I don't do extra work, I just continue the workouts I love to do every day, that is my lifestyle. Sure some will be jealous, but I have compassion because I used to be the obese person.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

have you ever stopped to consider that they might eat and eat, but it might not be crap? Competition prep is 6 meals a day for me, but not one single iota of what I eat or drink is crap. It is all clean and very healthy.

Gaining and losing can't be all that healthy, either.... just sayin'
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    K...but what about my husband, who can easily eat McDonald's (or similar) every day (and sometimes does), snacks like crazy on chips, chocolate and at LEAST a can of Coke a day....and has a sit down at a desk/in his car job......but is still super skinny! I KNOW he eats plenty, and that it's not healthy (because he is so boring to cook for...hates almost all veggies and he's so stubborn he won't try new study). I wish I had his metabolism or whatever it is....but I would still take care of myself and keep healthy.

Have him track his intake every day for a month. Until then, you don't know his caloric intake.
  • tjmist
    tjmist Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh these mythical creatures exist. They eat whatever they want and have insanely fast metabolisms. When I tried to eat 1/3 of what my ex ate, i still ended up gaining weight. My opinion.. they should all burn. Bitter? Slightly.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also wish I was Queen and could decide EVERYTHING! = D
  • DanaDark
    Options
    K...but what about my husband, who can easily eat McDonald's (or similar) every day (and sometimes does), snacks like crazy on chips, chocolate and at LEAST a can of Coke a day....and has a sit down at a desk/in his car job......but is still super skinny! I KNOW he eats plenty, and that it's not healthy (because he is so boring to cook for...hates almost all veggies and he's so stubborn he won't try new study). I wish I had his metabolism or whatever it is....but I would still take care of myself and keep healthy.

Have him track his intake every day for a month. Until then, you don't know his caloric intake.

Aye this. My best weight loss weeks involved me eating out 4 or 5 times a week. I have a desk job. MY "cardio" has been simple walks.

Calorie intake is more than simply appearing to eat a lot. As well, some foods have significantly more calories than others while being half the side.

Eat raw spinach ALL day long. Non-stop. You seriously can not gain weight with that. lol.
  • starjumper12
    Options
    i was just thinking about this the other day because my brother has always been super skinny but not at all healthy. i just think that maybe i'm lucky to have to work harder at it than some other people because i make the effort to improve my overall health, where as he doesn't feel that drive to do that.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options

He's too lazy to do that :laugh: Last night before bed, he ate half a CLUB bag of doritos, a can of coke, and 4 mini chocolate bars.....but asked me first if it was okay to eat that sitting beside me lol
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    1. Very, very active

Example for #1 - my dad eats tons. But he never sits down. He has a physical job, is constantly moving, working on projects until it's bedtime, etc. He can eat a lot because his TDEE is high.

Example for #2 - A friend that packs away the food when we are out to dinner. But what I don't see is that she eats salad for lunch and yogurt for breakfast and very rarely snacks. She can eat what she wants in certain situations because she eats in moderation the rest of the time.

Exactly!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    1. Very, very active

^ This, exactly.

Ditto this. /\
  • quitter1973
    quitter1973 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Well for me I was that way for years. Just started gaining about 5 years ago (I"m almost 39.) People always said the same thing about me. Here was my diet- morning- water then lots of coffee, lunch huge insane amount of fast food. Talking double quarterpounder with fries coke and a mchicken for dessert. Dinner was usually a large amount of alcohol (pint or more).

So people saw me eat a lot. But that was really the only time I ate. I never snacked and rarely ate sweets.

No exercise (too lazy or drunk from the alcohol in my system) but also super fidgety and anxious (always tapping my leg and walking fast) even though I had a desk job (basically daily detox).

If finally started tacking on 5 years ago.

Thoughts?
  • DanaDark
    Options
  • kandi_apples
    kandi_apples Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I work with a girl who can eat ANYTHING she wants. Some mornings at 8 am she will show up at work with a slurpee loaded with ice cream. She is stick thin. She has a desk drawer loaded with candy and snacks that she eats everyday.

One day she mentioned that she worked out on her treadmill and had to get off after 2 minutes cause it was all she could do...2 minutes!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1. Very, very active

I so cosign on this! Don't believe the hype. People who seem to eat what they like but never gain weight are one of the two cases above. Most times they are eating whatever they want around you but not eating as much on their own or they are so active they can't keep still. If they lived the same sedentary lifestyle that most americans lived our had the calorie consumption that obese people have they would be fat too.