Running with a puppy/dog

Options
Has anyone had luck running with their dog? I googled when to start running with a dog and it said 18 months! I'll check with her vet too but I have a very active 9 month old lab that I'd like to start running with. I'm a slow jogger so I really think running would help get some energy out. Anyone else start running with their dog at a certain age?

Replies

• emilysmellz
    emilysmellz Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    we just let our dog run..nobody could ever keep up with that rocket.
    but our vet always told us to not let her run for very long whne she was a pup, it can mess up their little baby legs!
    probably why they suggest waiting until 18 months to start running with your lab. :)
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My dog is my running partner, she's a bordercollie/lab cross and absolutely loves it! We started with short runs 5K and under when she was a year old, it definately helps to burn off some of her energy; which has helped us in draining the energy so she doesn't get into mischief as much when bored. When we asked the vet his only concern was that we might need to feed her more than recommended amounts of food as she's burning more energy and we need to ensure she doesn't go underweight as she's sitting at perfect weight. It's a great bonding experience for us both and she doesn't accept excuses if weather isn't nice as she still needs to go out for a walk or run which, in turn keeps me on track.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    A vet wrote a very interesting reply to a post about running with dogs. See if you can do a search and find it. He said it shoukd be done with extreme caution as sometimes dogs will keep running to keep up with owner and then risk injury. I'd speak to your vet first.

You could also do a search on the forum on ' dog pages'.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    Speak to your vet but I wouldn't run a puppy that age. You could walk them further but not run. Too much stress on the joints. I walk dogs for work so I have some experience.