Co-workers

Options
It really makes me furious when people make excuses about not loosing weight. For example, yesterday someone brought in soft pretzels for everyone in the office and my co-worker said to me that he admired that I have the will power to eat my apple instead of a soft pretzel because he can't do it. First, it irritates me when people say they can't do something. No, it's not that you CAN'T, it's that you don't WANT too. Then, he was telling me about how he is looking into getting lapband surgery (he is about 69inches tall and about 350lbs). But, the way that he was talking about it made it seem like it's going to be a quick easy fix for his over eating. I know that this isn't true because my two aunts both had gastric bypass and it wasn't nearly that simple. Plus, they make you go through a lot of counseling and stuff like that to even be able to get it so that it is successful. My biggest problem with it is that he doesn't even try. Guess what people, it's EASY to gain the weight, not so easy to LOOSE it!!!! And it's not fun! It just makes me mad. He says that he is going to start a diet on this day, and never does. He comments on how big he is, and never does anything. I'm sick of hearing it! Sorry for the rant guys. Had to get that one off my chest!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I have many friends like this, everyone's got a list of why they "Can't". I've heard it's harder to maintain the weight loss rather than lose. Maybe reccommend this site to him? He'll decide to change when he wants to, until then I guess just try to have everything negative like that go in one ear and out the other.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from.....but don't you think that once upon a time, someone felt this way about you? You only committed recently, so I'm sure you didn't always have this positive attitude about weight loss. I know that I didn't.

What I'm trying to say is, cut them some slack. Just try to be a positive example because you never know when they might be ready to get started and come asking you for advice.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I find it easy to be loose after a couple of drinks. :-p
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Co-workers, family, everybody, and anybody...

Just last week, one of the girls in my office started coming around me saying, "I'm going to eat what you eat and do what you do."... I'm like, "HEY, don't look at what I'm doing - this is what works for me! Find what works for you - and quit looking at me!" LOL

She also commented about not having time to work out when another co-worker told her "You make time for what's important to you. If working out is that important to you, you'll make time for it." I could have kissed her! LOL

I was going to get lap-band surgery, and was told that they wanted me to lose 90 pounds before they'd do it because they've noticed that people who start at that BMI (of around 50) tend to have better success. Well, along the way, I noticed I was averaging 1.4-1.5 pounds weight loss a week. I felt like if I'm losing at that rate without the band, and I'd lose that way with it, then why get it?

My family was so trying to shove lap-band surgery down my throat as if it was going to be the cure all. I saw the recap of the show "My 600 pound life" - all of the people on there said they thought the surgery was going to be the magic bullet to get them to lose weight. They all said that it wasn't that easy because they still had to deal with all the demons that got them there. The surgery is just PART of the equation.

SO - I've lost 103.4 pounds without surgery and still going strong. I've decided not to get the surgery at this time - I haven't ruled out getting it in the future (say, if I hit a huge brick wall), but just not getting it right now.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There is only two people who go to the gym with me when they say they will. Everyone else makes excuses up.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Oh yea...I have those coworkers too that, when I tell them I lost weight by eating clean and exercising, they say "Oh, I can't do that!" Um, yes, you can. You just DON'T. I told them the other day "Anybody can do it. I didn't discover some magic secret to weight loss." It's so annoying. Just get up off your butt and DO IT!!!:grumble:
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from.....but don't you think that once upon a time, someone felt this way about you? You only committed recently, so I'm sure you didn't always have this positive attitude about weight loss. I know that I didn't.

What I'm trying to say is, cut them some slack. Just try to be a positive example because you never know when they might be ready to get started and come asking you for advice.

This ^^

I totally get what the OP is saying, too, though, because I have friends with whom I feel the same way. When we start feeling good, and looking better, it's easy to get evangelical about it, and forget that you have to hit your own wall and make the choice to make a lifestyle change in your own time. Doing it because people are telling you to do it isn't what sticks. Not with diet and exercise, not with anything that takes a big shift in how you think and feel.

But, knowing all that doesn't stop me from getting frustrated, too :)
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who acknowledges she has to lose weight. I recommended MFP to her. She has also told me several times that I've lost enough weight... but I am still 30+ pounds above my recommended target weight.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for almost a year now and I get comments from co-works all the time asking me when am I going to stop? Stop what? Being healthier than I used to be? Working out? Eating right? I tell them never. I have even convinced a few to start working out with me. Once they do that, no more comments like that. When they say they want to eat like me, or loose some weight, I challenge them to do it. Either they take the challenge, or I call their bluff and they leave it alone. :). You will find people like this all through out your journey and you will learn to deal with them in your own way. Next time, offer the dude your apple. :). See what he says.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Hear hear!! :)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Just last week, one of the girls in my office started coming around me saying, "I'm going to eat what you eat and do what you do."... I'm like, "HEY, don't look at what I'm doing - this is what works for me! Find what works for you - and quit looking at me!" LOL

She also commented about not having time to work out when another co-worker told her "You make time for what's important to you. If working out is that important to you, you'll make time for it." I could have kissed her! LOL

I was going to get lap-band surgery, and was told that they wanted me to lose 90 pounds before they'd do it because they've noticed that people who start at that BMI (of around 50) tend to have better success. Well, along the way, I noticed I was averaging 1.4-1.5 pounds weight loss a week. I felt like if I'm losing at that rate without the band, and I'd lose that way with it, then why get it?

My family was so trying to shove lap-band surgery down my throat as if it was going to be the cure all. I saw the recap of the show "My 600 pound life" - all of the people on there said they thought the surgery was going to be the magic bullet to get them to lose weight. They all said that it wasn't that easy because they still had to deal with all the demons that got them there. The surgery is just PART of the equation.

SO - I've lost 103.4 pounds without surgery and still going strong. I've decided not to get the surgery at this time - I haven't ruled out getting it in the future (say, if I hit a huge brick wall), but just not getting it right now.

Good for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

Congrats to you for taking control and doing it the way it works for you! I had several people suggest lap band surgery, and push for it even. But I did not pay attention, mainly because I was not ready to do anything. HOwever, when I decided enough was enough and it was time to lose weight, I started doing it by eating healthy and MOVING. I have lost 100 pounds, I still have a a way to go, but I know that I will get there.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have many friends like this, everyone's got a list of why they "Can't". I've heard it's harder to maintain the weight loss rather than lose. Maybe reccommend this site to him? He'll decide to change when he wants to, until then I guess just try to have everything negative like that go in one ear and out the other.

I did recommend this site and explained that's how I have had success (so far!), and he did make an account a few weeks ago, but has not used it.
  • mllst18
    Options

Yeah. He doesn't see it this way. He thinks of it as a cure all quick fix. Continue with your success!
  • mllst18
    Options

I agree with you, to a certain extent. No, I never made excuses for myself about not loosing weight. I knew that I just needed to finally commit to it and make lifestyle changes.
  • mllst18
    Options

Congrats to you for taking control and doing it the way it works for you! I had several people suggest lap band surgery, and push for it even. But I did not pay attention, mainly because I was not ready to do anything. HOwever, when I decided enough was enough and it was time to lose weight, I started doing it by eating healthy and MOVING. I have lost 100 pounds, I still have a a way to go, but I know that I will get there.

I think that is the key: saying enough is enough to yourself when you look in the mirror and absolutely hate what you have let yourself become. He's not there yet.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I understand why people say that they "cant" I was one of them. Its a mind set that you have to achieve before you commit to doing it for life. I have lost weight gained it back, started an excersise program got to a goal and stopped. I was missing the piece of the puzzle that there is no stopping or quiting this is a life now. Like today we had a potluck at work. Everyone assumed I would bring nothing because they all know I have lost weight, eat healthy and run but I did. I asked the guys what they wanted and thats what I made. I didnt eat it. I enjoyed the fact I made them happy. I brought my own food and ate what I needed to. Its all about choices and when people are ready to make the right ones for them they will.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Oh yea...I have those coworkers too that, when I tell them I lost weight by eating clean and exercising, they say "Oh, I can't do that!" Um, yes, you can. You just DON'T. I told them the other day "Anybody can do it. I didn't discover some magic secret to weight loss." It's so annoying. Just get up off your butt and DO IT!!!:grumble:

My co-workers just eat cake and eat out everyday at lunch...one has had lap-band suregery but weighs over 250 pounds the other has supported Jenny Craig for years but you can not tell it.

I am disliked because of my will power and weight but I have it and they don't --- I don't dislike them when they eat 4 pieces of cake in a day:grumble: get tired of the haters---can't we all just get along.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's not that they CAN'T. It is just easier not to. Once you commit to the lifestyle, you have to stick with it and we all know how hard that is. Bypass surgery is hard and you simply cannot eat like you used to. Contrary to what this guy might think, you can gain the weight back. I think that it comes down to what your priorities are. The first thing this guy needs is support, just like we get on MFP. Maybe you can talk him into going for a brisk walk after a short and healthy lunch. Having a friend support him might be just what he needs to get on the road to a healthy lifestyle. Maybe one day he will be the one eating an apple and being admired for resisting the calorie filled junk.