strength training for a total newbie

Options
I'm wanting to start a strength training program. I should mention that i have no previous experience in this area and little if any upper body strength. I need a starting point.
does anyone have suggestions for a program or where i might find some good info? looking to decrease body fat percentage and add on some lean muscle. ty

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts
    new rules of lifting for women

i should macro this =)
  • scottsilver81
    Options
    make sure you technique it good before you start lifting heavy it will help you and keep you safer :D
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I would say try a DVD like 30 day shred/Ripped in 30 to get you an all-around lean and to firm up your muscles. I guess it depends on what you goals are.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started out with 30 Day Shred. Now I work out on my own with small weights at the gym (Tuesdays I do chest presses, chest flies, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, dumbbell rows and Thursdays I do lunges, side arm raises, calf raises, squats and alternating shoulder presses...3 sets of 12 reps each). In a couple weeks, I'll swap those out for new exercises. I just had my girlfriend put together a little plan for me and then I looked up fitness sites with videos and diagrams to get the correct form.
  • Jason3589
    Jason3589 Posts: 734
    Options
    Try looking at Jefit - some good programmes on there to follow, depending on your goals
  • Denver_Girl
    Denver_Girl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is learn to lift properly. Otherwise you risk injuring yourself seriously. If you can afford a few sessions with a trainer, I would recommend that to start. Once you have learned good technique and have a routine, don't overdo it. A quick online search will reveal that you can do a lot at home with just a pair of dumbbells, too: front arm raises, bicep curls, tricep raises, lunges, etc.

I'm getting back into the routine of strength training 2-3x/week. When I was doing it regularly over the summer, I felt like my job (which is very physical) was physically easier (although I was sore much of the time!). Best of luck!
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i started doing the 30DS last week. It is challenging but i mostly struggle with the push-ups. As for my goals, i want to be lean and strong. I'm curious if they have a strength training program like the couch-to-5k. I might have to invest in a personal trainer. I'm hesitant because from what i've seen they don't look to be very helpful.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    i started doing the 30DS last week. It is challenging but i mostly struggle with the push-ups. As for my goals, i want to be lean and strong. I'm curious if they have a strength training program like the couch-to-5k. I might have to invest in a personal trainer. I'm hesitant because from what i've seen they don't look to be very helpful.

There are good ones and bad ones. I recommend reading the book Starting Strength and watching some videos to learn the lifts. Try them out and if you like you can post videos here for form checks.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to start a strength training program. I should mention that i have no previous experience in this area and little if any upper body strength. I need a starting point.
    does anyone have suggestions for a program or where i might find some good info? looking to decrease body fat percentage and add on some lean muscle. ty

do you go to a gym? I am a member at the local YMCA, and they have trainers who are happy to show you how to use the machines. I got a few pointers when I first started, and then recently did a free "fitstart" class to teach me about the next level of machines.

My upper body strength is not fantastic--I do like 15-20lbs on most of the machines :( back in August I tried to do pull-ups at the local park and couldn't do it. The next day I got a trainer to show me how to use the assisted pull-up and triceps dip machine. less than 3 months ago I needed 165# of assist, and now I only need 115#.
  • KrissyKris10
    Options
    I run outdoors 3 days a week on tues, thurs, sun. I hit the gym on mon & wed. friday & sat are reserved for either rest or something different like biking or zumba. When i go to the gym i use the lifting machines. i just pick a few. Can't really say i know what i'm doing. i mostly just watch other people or look at the diagrahm on how to use them. but ya, the staff isnt overly helpful.
  • Brianf2fusa
    Options
    Hello!

If you really want to get serious about lifting, step away from the machines for now. Go over to the free weights...I know it might look scary or intimidating, however building those stabilizing muscles is key for beginners (plus you will use your core A LOT more)

I would start here:
    http://musclepharm.com/sites/default/files/21daystart_womens_small_0.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    starting strength
    stronglifts
    new rules of lifting for women

i should macro this =)

:wink:
  • KrissyKris10
    Options
    thank you. that was actually very helpful. @fullofwin, i'm also going to check out starting strength and look into proper form.
    Hello!

If you really want to get serious about lifting, step away from the machines for now. Go over to the free weights...I know it might look scary or intimidating, however building those stabilizing muscles is key for beginners (plus you will use your core A LOT more)

I would start here:
    http://musclepharm.com/sites/default/files/21daystart_womens_small_0.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Find a good trainer, A trainer can set you up with a monthly fitness program. Don't always follow what others do as they could be doing it wrong and you can create more problems then help.
  • Bellemorte24
    Bellemorte24 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This post is exactly what I need! Great topic <3
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

This article has some very good information to get you started.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I would say try a DVD like 30 day shred/Ripped in 30 to get you an all-around lean and to firm up your muscles. I guess it depends on what you goals are.

This and pushups have worked wonders for me. I also do reps of my weights (5 lbs) some will tell you that you will not get ripped using a 5 lb dumb bell but I'm here to tell ya you can. I will move up, it will just take time