Beginning biking

Options
I've added biking to my workout and with the snow and freezing temps this week it's inside on the bike trainer.

My question is the best way to get my "bum" used to riding on the seat. Is it better to ride a short time everyday, or a longer time every other day or what schedule to you use in the beginning. Or am I the only one with this problem?

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The more you ride you will get use to it, it usually takes me about a week's worth of riding.

You can also buy a gel seat cover.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take long. I think a week sounds right (so maybe 3 sessions?). You can shorts with gel butts in them too.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It just gets better with time.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of bike shorts!
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started bike riding not too long ago. I bought a gel seat which I think made my butt hurt more. I quickly got rid of that. I bought bike shorts from performance, and they do wonders. They are performance brand shorts.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It gets easy and awesome. Getting a good bike goes a long way in your enjoyment of it. A shop like REI or a local shop will treat you best and make sure it fits you properly. 5 miles a day is a start for sure
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I started out with a short distance like 3 miles, and just started going further each time I went out... before I know it I was riding 10 miles ..
  • ehopkin
    Options
    You will adjust, just keep on the saddle. Use the bike shorts with the padding in the rear end!!!! You will see a big difference, and when it finally gets nice in the spring, the pads will make a big difference for longer rides. Buy online (nashbar.com is one site) you will get them for much cheaper (usually 30-60% off), but I would always make sure you try one on in the store so you know the right size to buy. Good Luck!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've never spent so much on something so unflattering as I did when I bought quality biking shorts. Spend the money, get a nice pair, close your eyes when you look in the mirror because they look good on NO ONE and your body will thank you for having the right clothing for the job.

Also, we you go back outside, get yourself some padded gloves too, the palms of your hands will thank you. I also love my camelback when biking. And - a good helmet - that should go without saying though!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    +1 on the bike shorts and gloves. The fatigue really sets in without em.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    A few days and your butt will not be sore any more. Biking is great for you back side.